How to "Unbrick" Your iPod Touch in case you put iPhone firmware in

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by shadowninja23, Jul 27, 2008.

1. shadowninja23

shadowninja23 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Hey, didn't know what I should put in the title, so I just said that. Anyway, I always check the forums here out for help and new things and this is my first time posting, so bear with me. But, I was reading up on how to jailbreak and set up your iPod touch to 2.0 custom firmware and also looked at videos on Youtube also. After many unsuccessful tries on doing this, I finally was making some progress. However....while using Winpwn 2.0.0.3 and pwning the 1.1.4 firmware, I was actually doing it to a iPhone 1.1.4 firmware that I had downloaded by accident, even though it said it was an iPod touch firmware. By doing this and trying to upload it to the iTouch, the firmware "bricked" it and I couldn't do anything on it, except to put it into DFU mode and have it show up in iTunes for a second before disappearing again.

But, after calming down and trying to figure it out on my own without taking it to a Apple store, I managed to restore my "bricked" iPod, even though it had the 1.1.4 iPhone firmware in it and made it completely unusable. So here's what I did, and if there's any people that had the same problem that I had, I hope this helps you.

1. Basically, I took the iPod, connected it to my computer and put it into DFU mode (if you don't know how, you can search here on the forums. But, I'll tell ya how anyway: hold the sleep/wake button and the home button together for about 6-7 seconds. Then release the sleep/wake button but keep holding down the home button until your iTunes program automatically recognizes that it's in DFU mode). If you connect the iPod without putting it to DFU mode, it'll show nothing more than a completely black screen and the computer won't recognize it at all.
    2. Then, I had a popup come up in iTunes saying that it will connect to the iTunes servers, searching for any firmware updates to download for the iPod. Problem with this is that if you click ok, iTunes will search for your iPod and it will find it in DFU mode and your iPod should turn on for a second and display a white/fuzzy screen and ultimately turn off again.

THIS IS WHERE I TRIED SOMETHING NEW!!

3. For that iTunes popup, click ok and have it search for the iPod. Right after clicking it, hold the sleep/wake button and the home button again for about 6-7 seconds again and release the sleep/wake button but hold the home button. This will somehow allow your iPod to be set into Recovery mode, while the iTunes program is searching for it. You will know it worked when you see the iPod screen come up on the screen with the popup saying that you must restore the firmware in order to use the iPod.

4. Then, just restore your firmware by holding shift on the keyboard and clicking the restore button, allowing you to search your computer to find your 1.1.4 firmware file that you downloaded or whatever. Select it and it will extract the firmware contents and prepare your iPod for restoration. You will know this worked when you see that your iPod touch screen actually turns on again and shows the Apple logo with the spinning wheel, meaning it's doing the restoration.

Well, there ya have it. I don't have pictures or a video to put up showing how it all looks like and what to do, and I sure don't want this "bricking" to happen to my iPod again. Luckily, I now have 2.0 on mine and I actually like it with Cydia and apps and all. But good luck to those who are continuing their attempts to have 2.0 custom firmware on their iPods.
  2. andydam

andydam Banned

How do you flash our iPod with iPhone software? I wanna know how. I want ot brick my iPod so I can swap it out for another one.
  3. shadowninja23

shadowninja23 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Well, when you use winpwn, select the iPhone 1.1.4 firmware file by clicking Browse .ipsw. Then, use ipsw builder to make a custom. Finally, click ipwner to pwn iTunes and then do the steps to restore the firmware to the iPod, but use the custom firmware you created.

All I know is that whatever happened to my iPod freaked me out, and I wasn't in any mood to take it to the Apple store to get it checked out. I have finals this coming week, so it sucks studying most of the time.
  4. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    Its great that you made a guide for this, but how do you mistake the iPhone firmware for ipod firmware? Nonetheless it could be useful if people do this. (I'm sure it will happen)
  5. shadowninja23

shadowninja23 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I had no idea at first, but when I noticed something when I went into Winpwn. When I selected the 1.1.4 firmware file I had downloaded, thinking it was for the iPod, it showed in the dialog box to the right that it was actually for the iPhone. I'm not sure if all 1.1.4 firmware files show it, but when I had "bricked" it, that's what it showed me.

Yup, just looking out for the iTouch community!
  6. nytrancemaster88

nytrancemaster88 New Member

this thread is pointless im sorry seriously. y the hell would you put iphone firmware with the itouch, its like flashing a dell pocket pc firmware with a hp pocket pc firmware

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Blaze_Blaster

Blaze_Blaster Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    No it isn't pointless. There are People out there who will change the name from iPhone to iPod in the firmware and screw people.

So Stfukthxbai
  8. shadowninja23

shadowninja23 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Yeah he's right, I had gotten screwed over by whoever posted that firmware file and named it as an iPod one, when it was really for the iPhone.
  9. nytrancemaster88

nytrancemaster88 New Member

just curious where did you download it?
  10. shadowninja23

shadowninja23 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    It was a link given from a Youtube video, hosted by [PIRACY.mu] I think.