How to 'unbrick' your iPod in Windows

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by supermonkey, Feb 4, 2009.

1. supermonkey

supermonkey New Member

If you think you've bricked your iPod i.e. USB device not recognised error or something similar, just put your iPod into DFU mode. To do this follow the steps below (make sure you read them all before starting so its a bit clearer)

1. Connect your iPod to the PC and open itunes

2. Hold down the power and home button until you hear the USB disconnect sound

3. As soon as your hear that sound release the power button but keep hold of the home button

4. Let go of the home button when you hear the USB reconnect sound

5. Itunes should then say your iPod is in recovery mode. Click restore and your iPod will be like new =)

If at first you don't succeed try again, I find that for some reason it takes two attempts for my PC to recognise its in DFU mode. Also the iPods screen will remain blank throughout so don't expect anything to appear on it.
  2. hyr00l

hyr00l New Member

This guide fails.
  3. supermonkey

supermonkey New Member

I need a bit more info than that if you want any help
  4. hyr00l

hyr00l New Member

Sorry man, but can you check out my thread? My computer won't even "recognized" my iPod anymore (it could before after I kept trying to put it into DFU mode) but now.. nothing. I must have tried at least 10 times, each time that f***ing yellow f***ing error box pops up.

I really need some sleep.
  5. supermonkey

supermonkey New Member

That happened with me too. I sorted it by keeping it connected when that error box pops up then putting it in DFU mode from there. If that doesn't work the only other thing I can think of is remove the USB devices from device manager and see if it reinstalls them correctly.
  6. matchai

matchai New Member

7. StreetKing23

StreetKing23 New Member

my ipod doesnt make that disconnect sound but the screen is black hopefully its going 2 b okay...I should jsut prolly wait for a stable GUI version to come out b4 attempting to do anything.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    also itunes doesnt even recognize the ipod....geez mayb apple will replace it for me?
  8. iiJohnny

iiJohnny New Member

Hello guys, i made mistake when i was making the semiJB for ipod touch 2G. Everything i do is with result USB > iTunes. Can you help me? I tried to Restore with original FW, tried to JB it again and still that USB > iTunes. Can you help me guys? Thank you very much
  9. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Dude, this is a 2 week old thread.
    And there should be some guides here on how to fix your problem.
    I'd help, but I've only tried Semi once, and didn't like it.
  10. dwill8

dwill8 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    o and try connecting it to a different computer