[How To] The (n00b) easy guide for making custom themes

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by charlydagos, Feb 3, 2008.

1. charlydagos

charlydagos New Member

Hey there guys, as you may have noticed, a lot of themes use icons that were initially intended for use in such things as ObjectDock, RocketDock, etc., and even some of you can tell that the icon sets have been downloaded from various websites such as www.deviantArt.com

Okay, so what this tutorial is for: to use any icon set you want on your iPod Touch/iPhone.

1. Find any icon set you feel suits your desires (make sure the image format is PNG -- if you don´t know how to tell: hover your mouse over the image for 3 seconds)

2. Download the Windows power toy that lets you resize any image with just a right click: http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

3. Once you have downloaded the icon set, and installed the Windows Image Resize, you may now go to the folder where all the icons are, select all of the icons and hit "RESIZE", and resize them to what you feel comfortable with. (Note: don´t go blazin´ with the resolution to resize, I recommend using anywhere between 62x62 and 70x70)

4. With your new images all nice and set up, you will need to SSH* into your iPod Touch/iPhone and go to Library>>SummerBoard>>Themes and make a new folder which you will name whatever comes out of your imagination (i.e. "My Theme =D")

5. Now inside that folder which you called "My Theme =D" make a folder called "Icons" (Note: it can ONLY be called "Icons").

6. Now go to the folder with your resized icons and start renaming them, choose whatever you want your "Music" icon to be and rename it to "Music", with Safari.. rename to "Safari", so on and so forth (Note: most of the time, what you´re supposed to rename the icons to is what it shows right under the icon on your iPod)

7. With your newly renamed icons, SSH back to the folder that you made (Library>>SummerBoard>>Themes>>My Theme =D>>Icons) and drag and drop all the icons that you renamed into the "Icons" folder.

8. Now in WinSCP, or whatever program you use, go up to your "My Theme =D" folder and drag and drop any 480px · 320px image. (Note: that image will be your wallpaper, and in your SSH program --I use WinSCP-- it should be named exactly "Wallpaper.png")*

9. Now you´re all set, just go to Summer Board on your iPod Touch/iPhone and select your "My Theme =D" theme, and, if you followed this correctly (and my explanations were easy to understand..) you should have your new customized made-by-you-and-no-one-else-has-it theme

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Remember: about 99% of the icon sets that you download are for personal use only, and not for any type of redistribution without the written consent of the developer/author. So if you feel that you made a kickass theme, message the author to ask him (or at least let the guy know) before you decide to upload it, and as always: give credit. -- a lot of hard work is put into making icons --

Also: I put some *´s up there, that is, if you don´t know what I´m talking about (SSH), go here http://www.youtube.com/user/ipodtouchmaster and watch all of IpodTouchMaster´s tutorials, they´re really easy to follow and understand

By the way, there´s only one ipodtouchmaster, it´s not ipodtouchmaster864, it´s not ipodtouchhackster, they´re all just posers

Please Register or Log in to view images

I should also point out that, if you haven´t noticed, this is for Windows only, have a good one.
  2. michigan033

michigan033 Banned

I already made this tutorial only with easier to follow steps.
  3. charlydagos

charlydagos New Member

The intention of this Thread is to have people be able to use any icon set (in .png format of course) downloaded from any of the various websites that offer them. As you may have noticed, most people on the website ask for icons constantly (for example: "hey can you make this icon plzzzz") and I´ve noticed that no one had pointed out the Windows Power Toy that lets you resize images quickly, which is what drove me to make the tutorial. I checked yours out and you don´t name any sort of technique for the usage of icons. I assume that everyone thought of using Photoshop (which is perfect if you want to make icons from scratch) to resize all of the images, but my intention was to teach people how to use any icon (again, in .png) they find on the Internet on their iPod. As far as the understanding, I checked it for any sort of serious grammatical or spelling mistakes that might confuse anyone, but I´m not expert since I speak Spanish and English is my second language, I hope nobody else has problems with it, cheers

4. michigan033

michigan033 Banned

Or as i posted in my thread they can use imagicon to convert and resize the image in like 2 seconds. I did not want to start a fight or anything and i wasn't dissing on your english i just wanted to tell you that i already made a thread like this and it has easier to follow steps. no harm meant.
  5. charlydagos

charlydagos New Member

I don´t know when you got the message of me being "harmed" and I looked at your tutorial and it focuses mostly around the wallpaper as to where this centers on the icons. Have a good one

6. michigan033

michigan033 Banned

Yup u too see ya round the forums