How to tell if your ipod touch is 3G or 2G??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chaoscreater, Apr 5, 2010.

1. chaoscreater

chaoscreater New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi guys, sorry for my noob question, i just got my very first ipod Touch yesterday and want to jailbreak it. I have done a few research and readings already but have a few questions....

How to tell if my ipod touch is 2G or 3G?? I don't even think there is a "3G" model/version, since it doesn't say anything like that on Apple's website??

All it says on Apple's website is if the top left part of the black piece is an oval, and that there're only 2 lines of inscription below the 8GB memory size, then it's a 2G model, and mine's exactly the same, but how can you tell whether it's 3G or not?? And by 3G i obviously mean 3rd generation. For those that don't understand what i mean, read here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353#iPod_touch_late2009

my 2nd question is about the warranty, how do i actually use it?? In case my ipod breaks, do i show the store my receipt?? Because i actually bought this off a trading website called Trademe, which is similar to Ebay if you will. The seller has never used it and only got it last month, and sure enough when i got it, the package is brand new, everything is sealed and unopened. Anyway the seller doesn't know anything about the warranty or ipod touch, he just tells me that apparently you just have to register on iTunes??

and my last question is regarding the jailbreak. I want the unteathered version of the jailbreak and it seems GeoHotz has already posted news and videos demonstrating that he made one?? But i don't see it anywhere on his site. Apparently there is the greenpo1son jailbreak as well?? But i only find news and posts about it, not the actual download.

Can someone please guide me on this??

Thanks and sorry for my noob questions

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1. go to settings app, general, about, then look at the model number, if it starts with MB its a 2G, if its a MC its a 3G

2. The warranty is for 1 year of date of purchase. You dont need the receit because their can do it through serial number.

3. that vid you say was geohot showing a preview of his untethered, he hasnt releasted it yet. There is no untethered for 3G's yet
  3. Puredudes

Puredudes New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Also, if you look at your back of ipod you should see China Model No. A1318 which says mine is a 3g ipod touch. If yours reads differently then your a 2g.

Yes register with Itunes, but just show up at the Apple store and talk to them. You can always say you lost the receipt blah blah they will most likely replace it since it is under warranty.

Choascreater don't apologize for being a newbie we all were some point in our lives with the Ipod touch. The jailbreak depends if your ipod touch is the 3g or 2g. If 3g there is only a tethered hack that you can use Blackra1n for which is a super simple program to use. If it is either 1g or 2g well you will be able to jailbreak it on any firmware. Unless the ipod 2g is a 32gb firmware and it may have a problem

For the 3g you need to be on 3.1.2 for the tethered jailbreak to work, if your on 3.1.3 then your screwed and has to wait for 3.1.3 to be jailbroken, just like me! haha Any other questions I am just a pm away.
  4. ownerofspam

ownerofspam Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Someones trying to get that blogger position this evening isn't he

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    But if you are on 3.1.3 and have an 8GB you can downgrade using Coca Cola's method.
  6. almostregular

almostregular Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Also, if you look under your capacity at the back of your ipod touch,
    2 lines= 3G
    4 lines= 2G
  7. Puredudes

Puredudes New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    That or sharing my knowledge with a fellow Ipod touch owner.
  8. chaoscreater

chaoscreater New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch

my model says A1288, but it's a MC model and i'm pretty damn sure it's 3G since i only just purchased it 3 days ago, it has 2 lines of text below the 8GB size on the back, and the top left black piece is oval as well.

Anyway thanks for all your answers guys, but now i need help on downloading Cydia on my ipod touch. I have downgraded it from a 3.1.3 3G firmware to a 3.1.2 2G firmware, and have used blackra1n to jailbreak it. It worked fine as i get the blackra1n app on my ipod touch, but when i try to install EITHER Cydia or ROCK, it just doesn't download. It keeps showing an error message. My wifi works perfectly fine though. I posted a new topic about this, please help me. Here's the topic:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283742

Also, can someone tell me if redsn0w will work?? I read this topic here by Coca Cola:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277497

and it seems that it's just what i need, another method to install a jailbreak on a 3G ipod touch other than using blackra1n, but then someone else said this:

so right now i'm not sure exactly whether redsn0w will work or not....
  9. badboy.mjk

badboy.mjk New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    You have a iPt 3G 8gig like me and its great to see another KIWI on the site anyways back to the topic yes redsn0w will work but first do another restore of 3.1.2 go to redsn0w.com and download it, download the 2G version 3.1.2 IPSW file (can't tell you where to get it) open up redsn0w browse and select the 2G IPSW file click yes for MC model and let it do it's magic if you continue having wifi problems you can use Cyder to install packages

Still have trouble PM me
  10. chaoscreater

chaoscreater New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ya i just got it working, perfect! Thanks a lot guys