How to sync ANY iPod Touch / iPhone on any firmware without iTunes! (tutorial)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ethiopian, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Ethiopian

Ethiopian New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    How to sync ANY iPod Touch / iPhone without iTunes! (tutorial)

Big update! Read me!
    3.2.2.1299 beta has been released! Don't download from MediaMonkey's website. Instead download from here. This will allow you to sync with ios4!

4.1 Support!
    Download this file and place it in C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\Plugins (Backup the old one first though!)

Hey there. Are you tired of apple's clunky software swallowing up your computer's memory? Or is it a little too slow to open / sync? Do you want more features / better looks for your media player? Then this thread is for you!

Intro

So basically, over the past couple of weeks I have been trying to find the best alternative to iTunes. I thought I found the best with winamp but it turns out the popular ml_ipod extension is not compatible with firmware 3.x +. This is bad news for people with 2g devices and above as iTunes won't let you restore your iPod with anything below 3.1.2

So I kept hunting and eventually I found something called MediaMonkey. This thing is basically Winamp times two. Here's a screenshot that I just took.

Please Register or Log in to view images

(Higher resolution)

It's extremely customizable with drag and drop, extra windows, different themes, and you can adjust the volume with mouse wheel, which is just plain cool. Plus the amount of options is ridiculous and there's even a mysterious "configure ipod" option. I've only added my CD's to it so far, but I already love it.

Section 1: Removing iTunes

So, if this program looks like it's your thing, keep reading. If not, no worries. But for the rest of you, what I recommend would be to do uninstall ALL components of iTunes in the following order:

1. iTunes
    2. QuickTime
    3. Apple Software Update
    4. Apple Mobile Device Support
    5. Bonjour
    6. Apple Application Support (iTunes 9 or later)

You can do this under Control Panel -> Add or Remove programs

Section 2: Install MediaMonkey

Download the latest version here here. Easy.

Section 3: Setting up your iPod as a portable device without iTunes
    Now here's where things get a little tricky. If you open up MonkeyMedia right after installing it, your iPod Touch / iPhone will NOT come up. If you have itunes installed, then it will. But I hate itunes and I'm sure you do too. I have uploaded a .rar file to [PIRACY.mf] (no malware I promise) here that makes it a little bit easier on you. All you have to do is extract it and do a few minor things. If you don't like downloading things off the internet, see step 4.

1. First, extract the file (Download Winrar if you need to)

2. Then create a shortcut that links quicktime.msi file and make SURE it looks like this:

These properties will only be available if it is a shortcut file. I believe that in the .rar file it will be just a regular .msi file. Please see steps 5 - 8 of "doing it yourself" and follow the instructions, then continue to step 3.

If it doesn't, then add a space then the line -passive /promptrestart to the "Target" line.

3. Run the two .msi files and the quicktime shortcut (which will install them onto your computer), then you're done! Connect your ipod / iphone then open up MonkeyMedia and it should be sitting right there.

Section 4: Doing it on your own

If you don't trust me for whatever reason, it's relatively simple to get the three required files.

1. Download the latest version of iTunes.

2. Do NOT install it. Instead change it from an .exe file to a .zip file.

2A. If your file just says "iTunes setup.zip" but you can't open it as a zip, change it back to its original name and do the following:

2A 1. Open up control panel
    2A 2. Click Appearance & Themes
    2A 3. Click Folder options | View | Advanced Settings
    2A 4. Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types". Click Apply, then OK.
    2A 5. Your iTunes Setup file should now say "iTunes Setup.exe"
    2A 6. Change it to a .zip file and ignore the warning that comes up

3. Now open it with WinRar !!!(Winzip will NOT work for this step)!!!

4. Extract the files

~ "AppleApplicationSupport.msi"
    ~ "AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi"
    ~ "Quicktime.msi"

5. Create a shortcut (VERY IMPORTANT) that links to the Quicktime.msi file.

6. Once done, right click on the shortcut and go into properties.

7. Add the line -passive /promptrestart to the target line. Make SURE it looks like the screenshot in step 2 of "setting up your ipod as a portable device". Otherwise it WILL NOT WORK!

8. Click Apply, then OK.

9. Run the two .msi files and then the shortcut to the quicktime one.

And then you're done. You can now sync with MonkeyMedia. Remember to give it 10 - 15 seconds after connecting to it. Sometimes it takes a little while, but never anything more than 30 seconds.

Mac Users

Sorry but I cannot help you guys. I only have access to Windows, and I know next to nothing about Mac OSX. If you can follow this tutorial and make it through, then I'm glad I could help. If not, well, sorry. If anyone finds a way, feel free to post it in this thread and I'll be sure to give you credit and put it in here.

MediaMonkey is windows only. Sorry.

MediaMonkey skins

Huge list of skins for MM.
    Skin I am currently using. Scroll down a good bit. It's called NBeat.
    If you are on a version of MM that is <3.0, you can use winamp themes.

MediaMonkey not playing songs? / Other media players

You need an mp3 encoder for it to play songs (Otherwise the trackbar will go but no volume will come out). Basically, have windows media player on your computer. Windows media player 11 (or whatever is the most recent for your OS (Windows only I believe sorry)) is a must, unless you can find a more reliable smaller one on the web. I've just decided to keep wmp because I can go through pictures, videos, and other stuff.

Windows Media Player - There is a program called mg_tek dopisp that supports the the following ipod models and enables you to sync your ipod touch / iphone with wmp. Unfortunately, you will have to fork over 20 bucks.

WinAmp - Winamp is a pretty solid media player and it even has a built in web browser! Unfortunately you will have to meet these requirements to use the ml_ipod plug-in I mentioned above, and well, there's a lot of them. Basically, you can't be above 3.x (which I'm sure the majority of you are). Winamp is a fantastic media player though!

Sharepod - Barebone syncing. No music player.

CopyTrans Manager - Sync + play music. But it's, different. If you just double click a song it adds it to a different window and that takes a good bit of time to open. Plus, you can only sync when your iPod is connected. Otherwise you'll just get a message telling you to connect it.

gtkpod (Linux only) - Never personally used it but I've heard it's difficult to use. (Instructions for Linux users)

No Mediaplayer!?

First, jailbreak your iPod / iPhone. Search in Cydia for PwnPlayer, which will act as an alternative to the default ipod.app - only it will scan your entire ipod for mp3 files, which you can of course play. Simply ssh them into your ipod / iphone.
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
  3. Ethiopian

Ethiopian New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yes I remember using something very similar called CopyTransManager. But it only played music when I had my iPod connected, and I think I remember reading somewhere that sharepod can only sync, not play music. I dunno about you, but I listen to music more on my computer than my iPod. Stuff like sharepod and copytransmanager just aren't my thing.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Oh wow, I just realized something. The quicktime.msi file will only have that option in the preferences if it's a shortcut. I'll be updating the tutorial in a couple minutes now.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    And done. This tutorial should be fool proof now.
  4. viperGTS

viperGTS Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Cool tutorial. Just one question, can mediamonkey update/restore/manage apps/etc. With an iPod touch? Or is iTunes a must for that?
  5. Ethiopian

Ethiopian New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Sorry but I believe it is strictly audio files. But I feel like updating and restoring are things that you don't have to do on a daily basis (other than when something goes wrong), and you can always just temporarily install itunes to do that. As for apps, I've always just managed them on my device.

Although, this would hinder you from using the iTunes store. Sorry, but I guess I overlooked that seeing as I don't use it.
  6. viperGTS

viperGTS Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    That's fine. I could see myself using both of these since I primarily use iTunes for music management anyway. And I almost never buy music from the iTunes store.
  7. Ethiopian

Ethiopian New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If you do use both, you won't have to follow the steps in this tutorial. All it really comes down to is having AppleMobileDeviceSupport, AppleApplicationSupport, and Quicktime installed on your computer. The line of code for the Quicktime setup is only for when you don't have iTunes on your computer.
  8. ineedihelp

ineedihelp New Member

So, there is no way to make this work with a iphone 3g running ios4?
  9. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
  10. Ethiopian

Ethiopian New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Um, it says right on the title "any ipod touch / iphone on any firmware" so yes, it should work no problem.