how to start

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Spyda, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Spyda

Spyda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    oki know absolutly nothing about programming, but would like to learn how to make apps for the touch (and program other things) is there a site that yoou can go to that teaches about programming?

thanks

EDIT: i found this site, is it any good http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

First of all, it is not as complicated as it looks. Secondly, not knowing any programming languages already will hurt you. Especially since this is technically uncharted territory; there will be no books on how to program for the iPod/iPhone. It's basically a "figure it out" yourself kind of thing. But don't worry, as most of the developers are very friendly and willing to help you along the way. Most of them even have their source code available for download so that you can look at it and learn techniques.

The first place you might want to look is on the other side of this link:
    http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/UIKit_Hello_World

In that link, there is a sample program for the iPhone that is coded in Objective-C. If you sit down and really look at the code, it's not all that hard to comprehend what is doing what. If you can kind of see the jist of what all that code is doing, then you will want to start to look into Syntax, and there are resources all over the internet.

Once you are sure that you want to program, Welcome! the more developers, the better! Of course you will have to build the toolchain, that is, the set of tools you will use to build apps. Luckily, as long as you can copy and paste, you'll be all set on that end. Although there are a few quirks with the building the toolchain, they are easy enough to smooth out. I've successfully built it now on Linux (feisty fawn (I know, I really need to update)) and Windows, so I'll be more than happy to help you out if you have any questions.
    http://code.google.com/p/iphone-dev/wiki/Building

Good luck,
    Skylar
  3. JohnLocke

JohnLocke New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hi Skylar,

could you explain to me how exactly you set up the toolchain in windows? Did you use cygwin? Because somewhere I've read that the toolchain doesn't compile in Windows.
    I'm just curious how you did it and if it works!

Nevermind, I should've searched first... Found the answer in another thread!
  4. Spyda

Spyda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    wow, thanks! thats a lot of info lol. when i get home from school i will take a closer look at it. i might just wait until next year to start though, because i am planning on taking computer science.
  5. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Thanks for the informative post Skylar. I'm looking into this stuff and my brother is going to help me out.
  6. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  7. buffonitaly

buffonitaly New Member

Dang

Dang I wish I could do this but on the only computer I have it is the school computer running OS X Tiger and we can't install anything. If I had my own mac I'd be all over this though.
  8. MiG™

MiG™ New Member

The syntax is horrible if you ask me. They tried to add Classes to C and failed....

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Assassin Sheepdog

Assassin Sheepdog New Member

I have some experince in game dev, but now I would like to know how to make stuff for the itouch. I think it would help me a lot if someone could just post the sources of some simple games / apps they have made. I have searched and been unsuccessful, probably because this is all knew to me and I don't know what gto search for. And also, what is a toolchain, and how is it installed? EDIT: nevermind, I have found a very good website on toolchain, for those who want to know wat it is: http://code.google.com/p/winchain/

it helped explain any of the things i waned to know

Thank you to anybody who wishes to help.
  10. H3X

H3X New Member

Yeah, this works well.