How to start iPhone development: Linux and 2.2.1

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Raider, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Raider

Raider New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm interested in beginning programming on the iPhone/iPod Touch but there are a few questions I'd like to ask:

1. Is it possible to do it on (preferably) Linux. (but Windows is ok aswell). The explanation on saurik.com seemed to be lacking in places. I'm not buying a €1000 dongle to develop for a device. I know this will disqualify me from the App Store (There's Cydia/Icy) however

2. Is there any good tutorials for 2.2.1? My iDevice is the iPod Touch 2G and I disapprove of paid firmware updates, so for the time being, it'll be 2.2.1. Ok, moving on from this part now. I'll just have to find somewhere selling gift cards...

3. Is it possible to program in C++? I know nothing about Obj-C.

4. If not: Is Obj-C hard to learn? Is there any good tutorials?
  2. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    In my opinion there'd be no point in developing for 2.2.1, hardly anyone uses it anymore. You'll just have to take the plunge and pay the €7.99.
  3. Raider

Raider New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No credit card. I'm 16 so cannot legally get one. Therefore I am not physically able to upgrade to 3.0.

Also re:your sig

Tá fhíos agam ar an teanga ach ní maith liom é. Tá me ag foghlaim sé gach lá sa scoil.

(Horrible grammar I know, I never got the hang of that part. I'm much better at German which I've only learned for 4 years. Horrible comment on the educaton system there

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
  4. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    You could get an iTunes giftcard. I just buy them, and then top-up every so often.

Is tusa an céad duine chun é a aithin. Aontaím faoi an coras oidicheas, is ualach cac é!
  5. Raider

Raider New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Where should I be looking? Phone shops? Gadget shops? I've never seen them. (Nearest apple shop is about 80 miles away. Way too far.)
  6. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Supermarkets usually sell them.
  7. Raider

Raider New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'll have to look again at supermarkets. Tesco certainly don't.

So anyway: Any answers to points 1,2 and 4?
  8. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    If you find it hard building it on Linux I'd PM/talk to Cyanidepoision I believe uses a Linux based development environment.
  9. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    1. there is no good way to code for linux - the only (somehow easy) way for usual pc users would be going to use hackintosh (modified OS X)

2. if you live in germany then look in the "Penny Markt" they sell them otherwise what's about prepaid creditcards like wirecard.com or the clicknbuy thing?

3. c++, yes it is possible but not officially supported and not easy at all to do stuf like compiling and using the frameworks etc.
  10. Raider

Raider New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    @1. and 3. Thanks. That was what I was afraid of

Please Register or Log in to view images

@2. I'm not in Germany. The prepaid credit card company here (we only have one) is also 18+.