How to speed up your jailbroken ipod touch (aka "game mode"): A tutorial

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ralphbananas, Jun 6, 2009.

1. ralphbananas

ralphbananas New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or not, so I decided to make this as noob friendly as possible.

Anyway, if you're ipod is acting laggy and crashes a lot during games (and is jailbroken) then first download sbsettings from cydia. Next, after springboard is restarted, swipe your finger down from the upper menu bar (the one that shows the battery, time, signal, etc) to trigger sbsettings. Click the tiny power button, and a window should pop up, and there will be a button at the bottom that says "safe mode". Click that, and your springboard will respring for about 15 seconds. When it resprings, it should be unthemed and the background should be grey. Now you can play your games as normal except your ipod will operate much faster and have more memory. When you want to exit safe mode, simply touch the upper menu bar (once again, the one with battery and signal) and click restart. Your springboard should respring and be back to normal. Note: if you have fcsb (five column springboard) or five row springboard installed, read on.

The thing about fcsb and frsb is that when you go into safe mode and back out, your icons will be rearranged. To get them back to normal, download springback from cydia. Then backup your springboard inside of the app before going into safe mode. When you come back out of safe mode, just go into springback and restore from your backup, and your icons will be back in place.

Edit: there is an app called swapmode, or something like that, in cydia that roughly does the same thing. But this way is much safer, as some people have been having trouble with swapmode.

Thanks for reading

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. solidness

solidness Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nice tut, works just how i would expect it

3. ralphbananas

ralphbananas New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    no problem

4. katking123

katking123 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yea its pretty common knowledge there a lot of posts on this already but i guess it would help some people
  5. 2Short4u

2Short4u New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    thank you so much
    this is something i was looking for.
  6. rofl.

rofl. Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    wow. . . I cannot believe I have not discovered this already! Thanks! Hopefully sims3 runs more smoothly!
  7. ralphbananas

ralphbananas New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i noticed that the sims crashes less often for me, hopefully it works the same for you