How to: solder the microphone and where.

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by SkaterGOD/DOOD23, Jan 4, 2008.

1. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  2. alwaysinsession

alwaysinsession New Member

So how do you pop the thing off of R14? Just use a needle? And can you wrap the whole unit up in electrical tape after so nothing breaks?
  3. ramcosca

ramcosca New Member

Can't you re-wrap it in the original plastic cover it came with? Does the jumper really give it such different dimensions?
  4. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    First off i hope you did not take off R14 as you said in your post; to answer your question: I used a pair of pliers to take out R24. I guess you could use electrical tape to wrap it up, but I do not know as I am fine with the mic as it is(and I have never wrapped up the mic)..
  5. bajaben

bajaben New Member

For some reason the solder was not sticking to the chip. Because I kept trying to solder it, I ended up burning the chip. I put the chip back in the mic casing and glued the inside of the case so it wouldn't come apart, then i took it back to wall mart, got my money back and got a new mic. hehe.

Do you have any advice when soldering it? I just could not get the solder to stay for the life of me.
  6. alwaysinsession

alwaysinsession New Member

Ok well I think I have the hang of this. I'm gonna go to Wal-Mart to buy a new car battery and see if they have one of these mics. What section were they in, by the way?

So here's how I think I'm going to do it:

-Buy a new tip for solder gun
    -Pluck off R24 resister
    -Solder small wire from left end of R24 to right end of C16.
    -Put plastic case back on mic
    -PROFIT
  7. e.mann30

e.mann30 New Member

To solder

You have to use a little iron rosin core to solder to metal parts together. Other than that you will burn the chip. It looks like a wire stem. What you do is hold the iron rosin core to the tip of the place you want to solder , place the solder gun to the tip of the iron rosin core , then it melts ( or solders ) the iron rosin core to the part you want to connect. Trust me I've done this plenty of times.
  8. bajaben

bajaben New Member

Hey, man thanks for the tips. I'm going to try again today.
  9. e.mann30

e.mann30 New Member

10. ramcosca

ramcosca New Member

You see, I haven't done this and won't for a while... but.. I've got a tip.

Whatever you do, DON'T USE A COLD HEAT SOLDER. That is the worst solder invented by mankind. It's very unstable; the temperature just rises and lowers, rises and lowers. There's NO CONTROL over the temperature!!! I repeat, it is the worst solder ever invented by man. Using it will only ruin your projects!

Please Register or Log in to view images