How to show related city name according to the incoming call on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by linkou.bian@gmail.com, Oct 14, 2009.

1. linkou.bian@gmail.com

linkou.bian@gmail.com New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I want to add something into the UI view when I make a phone call or received a phone call on iPhone. However, I can't figure out a good solution for this idea. Could anyone who has experience on this subject gives me some suggestions?

My currently solution is, try to write an extension based on mobile substrate and hook functions in SpringBoard. So many difficulties existed and following are my current big questions,

1. How to develop such a extension? I downloaded some examples from google, unfortunately they cann't even be compiled on my toolchain.

2. I can't figure out which ui view for the related screen I should use to insert my own component. I get header files of SpringBoard via class-dump, but no docs and no comments about its usage. Could someone share his discoveries with me?

3. How to build a trusted cross-compiling enviroment on leopard? All kinds of confusing errors pop up when I try to build others's codes. I've tried Zdziarski's instrunctions in his book, it works with iPhone OS 1 and can compile common projects with open sdk, but how should I do to make it works when comipiling ms plugins?

Also, is there any other solution to translate my ideas to codes? I start iPhone development one month ago, no experience with cocoa/Obj-C before. So your suggestions are very appriciated.

~ Link Bian (卞林扣)
    Email/MSN: linkou.bian@gmail.com
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

1. There's no reason the examples you find can't be compiled. If you get errors, try taking a look at what the errors are and fixing them. Most don't bother to do this and instead give up or seek out other means. Hint, there are none.

2. You should be able to tell what to hook by looking at the name of the class. Why would Apple provide docs about their closed source applications? You're not supposed to be able to know /any/ of it. That's why MobileSubstrate extansions are hacks.

3. On Leopard? Simply download and install the SDK. That's it. One step.

I've built MobileSubstrate extensions both in a toolchain environment and in Xcode. It can be done easily in each case.

It sounds to me like you need to rein yourself in. Stop what you are doing and head on back to square one. It is clear in what you are posting that you have no to very little concept of even the basics.

You should learn first how to code in Objective-C. Next, you should learn how to code proficiently in Objective-C. Next, you should learn about the runtime environment. Only once you have a thorough working grasp of all I've mentioned should you move on to MobileSubstrate extensions.

MobileSubstrate is advanced. Far too advanced for a beginner like you. While you may be able to struggle through the process to build an extension, it will most likely be riddled with errors and leaks. Or, possibly worse, inefficient code.
  3. linkou.bian@gmail.com

linkou.bian@gmail.com New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks for your help

Please Register or Log in to view images

I agree with you, I should spend some time on the basic concept first. Thanks again.