How to Setup VNSea to Work From Any Internet Connection

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by je_unc, Jan 2, 2008.

1. je_unc

je_unc New Member

**EDIT: I should also mention that this solves the problem of having websites (ie Hotmail, MySpace) blocked on a network at school or work. If you're trying to acccess a blocked website from a school or work network, then you can simply connect to your home computer from VNSea and access it on your home computer. This may also let you view flash content - though there would be some delay so you couldn't watch a movie but you could use other flash applications where speed/frame rate isn't important.

If you're like me, you have a computer that sits at home behind a router that's always connected to the internet. Wouldn't it be great if you could access that computer with your ipod touch from any internet connection at anytime?

Paintball posted a great tutorial for setting up VNC and VNSea. However with that method, you always need to be at home on your wireless network or you have to know the IP that your router is assigned from your internet service provider. For those that don't have a static IP (most people), your IP changes every one or two days or anytime your router is reset or the power goes out.

Step 1: Setup VNC the way Paintball suggests.

Step 2: Setup an account with DynDNS. (I lifted this from lifehacker.com's Gina Trapani)

Here's how:

Step 2a: Set up your DynDNS.com account.
    Register for a free account at DynDNS. Agree to the site's terms, and use a legitimate email address to complete registration. Once in awhile, DynDNS will email you at that address asking you to confirm that it continue your service.

Log into your new account. Go to the "My Services" area on the left side. Under "Host Level Services" click "Add Host Services." There, click "Add Dynamic DNS Host." DynDNS will autofill your IP address (if you're doing this from your home computer). Choose a domain and type in a custom subdomain, which can be anything from lifehacker.kicks-ass.org or john.is-a-geek.com or gtrapani.dyndns.org, like below:

Please Register or Log in to view images

Step 1b. Set up your computer to update DynDNS.
    Now that your computer is registered with DynDNS, each time your computer's IP address changes, it has to let DynDNS know. This can be done either with free updater client software or through your router.

If your computer is connected directly to the Internet, download the DynDNS updater client for Mac or Windows here. Install and enter your DynDNS information so that your computer can update DynDNS's database regularly.

If you are behind a router, you're in luck. Most modern routers support dynamic DNS services. Here's a screenshot from my router's interface (yours will look different) for with DynDNS settings:

Step 3: Now go back to VNSea on your ipod touch. Edit your server info. Instead of entering your IP address next to the "address" field enter your DynDNS domain information. i.e. example.dyndns.com

Now you should be able to connect to your home computer from any internet connection anywhere in the world on your ipod touch. Let me know how it goes for you and feel free to give me feedback. If this guide helps, rank the thread higher!

Justin
    3 people like this.
  2. taxbax

taxbax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    whats wrong with using the overall ip address and specifying a port? i thought our house's ip address never changes, is that correct?
  3. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

End user IP addresses change all the time. They may not change often but they do change -- unless you've paid for a static IP. Most people haven't. That's what sites like dyndns.org are there for; a small tray app monitors your IP and updates your dyndns forwarder if it changes.
  4. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You should probably mention that if the PC is behind a router even though this will set up a unchanging URL for your home router, you still need to set up port forwarding through your router setup options. I don't know off hand what the default VNC port is, but im sure it cant be hard to find out.
  5. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

UltraVNC (found in that other tutorial) defaults to port 5900 for standard VNC connections.
  6. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Oh noes, I missed that bit when I read the other tutorial...

Well, just ignore me then

7. taxbax

taxbax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    so if i am behind a router and i have portforwarding setup then i don;t need to worry about this because it will set up an unchanging url? because thats my situation and really what i was trying to get at with my first post. it hasn't changed since a few days ago when i set it up.
  8. Paintball

Paintball New Member

Good job. Ill put a link to this in my original tutorial.
  9. shortguy088

shortguy088 New Member

so far t works good from my home computer. hopeflly its the same when i go to other wifi connections. thanks
  10. je_unc

je_unc New Member

No. If you're behind a router and you have port forwarding, it won't stop the IP of your router from changing. You'd still have to update the IP in the VNSea client everytime it changed. Port forwarding is necessary for anyone using VNSea with a router, but doesn't guarantee that you'll always have the same IP when you're accessing from over the internet. Using a domain from DynDNS guarantees that no matter what your IP address is that you'll be able to connect.