How to: Set-up VNC

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Paintball, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Paintball

Paintball New Member

How to: Set-up VNC. Now with Mac and Ubuntu! And 1.1.3!

Alright, I wrote this How To because there were a few people who requested me to.

What VNC does is it allows you to control your desktop or laptop computer directly from your iPod, whether you are 3 feet away or across the globe. And it's pretty easy to set up, too.

First, you are either going to need a wireless network that connects to your iPod and computer.

Next, you will need to download the latest version of VNsea from here. You can also get it on the installer, but I don't know what source its from.

Note: If you are like me and can't get iBricker to connect to your iPod to install the .pxl, just rename the file to have a .zip extension instead and get the .app out of there.

For Windows:
    Next, you will need UltraVNC. You can download it from here

Now, just SFTP VNsea over, or use iBricker, or do the easiest method and get it through installer, the point is just get it on your iPod.

Then, run the setup program for UltraVNC you downloaded. After that, run the UltraVNC server. A screen like this should come up.

Please Register or Log in to view images

The only think you really need to worry about on this is the password. So just set one. It can be anything. Note: Some people have some problems with the password. I found that after you type in your password and press ok, then bring the window back up, the default password that is 8 letters long comes up (probably "password") in the field. This is okay. You still use the password you entered before. I believe this is just to stop the password crackers that check for passwords that are hidden by asterisks, or in our case, little dots.

Now, open VNsea on your ipod. Tap the little plus sign in the upper-left corner. Now fill out the information. Under password, put whatever you enter in the UltraVNC server. Put anything under Name. Under address put the ip of your computer. To find that out, hover your mouse over the VNC server icon. it will say your ip.
    ps. There will probably only be one for most users. The reason I have two is because I have a dial-up connection type thing, so it gives me a separate ip than the one for my wireless router.

Now tap save.
    Now just hit the name of your connection, and pray it works the first time.

For Mac:
    Go to System Preferences > Sharing. On the Services tab, check "Apple Remote Desktop" You'll be asked to configure the Remote Desktop. Check which users you'd like to give access and enter the level of access they should have (e.g., open applications, delete items, restart & shutdown, control, etc.) Don't forget to check "VNC viewers may control screen with password" and enter a password.

Here's a picture of the Preference pane -
    http://www.vidanix.com/ws/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/remotedesktoppref.png (Sorry, I can't post more than 4 pictures in this post.)

And here's a picture of the access privileges pane -
    http://www.kilovolt.com/media/cpanel_2.jpg

For Ubuntu:
    Go to System > Preferences > Remote Desktop. Check "Allow other users to view your desktop." Check "Allow other users to control your desktop." Check "Require the user to enter this password" and put in a password. I'd suggest unchecking the "Ask for confirmation" simply because you'd need to be in front of your computer to remote into it.

Here's a picture of the control panel DerekVOF found online (except he has the confirmation checked) - http://www.vidanix.com/ws/wp-content...esktoppref.png

Now for the controls:
    To scroll, drag two fingers across the screen.
    To zoom, drag two fingers apart. Just like Safari and other apps where you need to zoom.
    To click, just tap.
    To use the keyboard, click the little icon at the bottom with the iPod vertical.
    To select multiple things or drag 'n drop, just drag one finger.
    There are others, but you can figure them out.
    You can also turn you iPod sideways. And even upside-down if you wanted to.

Here is a much better guide on how to get it working over the internet.

Got 1.1.3?
    Go into your iPod Touch via SSH, or use MobileFinder. Create a folder in /private/var/root/Library/ called Preferences (make sure Preferences is capitalized.)

VNsea tries to save all of its preferences to root, but that ain't there anymore, so you just need to make one. So it saves into /private/var/root/Library/Preferences

So that should be everything. PM me if you have any problems.

Thank DerekVOF for his excellent guide on the Mac and Ubuntu guides. Along with the port forwarding. And now the folder that VNsea saves to.

And thank you to je_unc for his guide on the DynamicDNS solution. Much easier.
  2. rbp1583

rbp1583 New Member

awesome tut man. i finally got it to work
  3. Alexpb

Alexpb New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    it's pretty cool that VNC can run on the ipod, although very very slow lol.

It's also cool that you can run an avi file on your comp and see it playing on your ipod. Albeit, very very slow and VERY unwatchable. Still cool.

Running an avi file:

Full screen:

I had to pause the video to take the pictures, as the ipod cant keep up with the moving video, so it's very unwatchable.
  4. Zink

Zink Member

Device:
    iPad
    ok whenever I set my password i press apply and then ok I open it up again and it has extra letter or number at the end why is this
  5. jmiz9000

jmiz9000 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    can u give me a diffrent link to that ultra vnc
    bec it dont work for me
  6. huggins0484

huggins0484 New Member

same problem as zinc.. it always saves the passward IT came with.. when i set it to the one i want it automatically goes back to the one it already had when i started ultravnc (which i dont even know what it is) can anyone help?
  7. Paintball

Paintball New Member

Recheck the guide around where you enter the password. I edited it. Should explain it.
  8. ChaoticPurity

ChaoticPurity New Member

For me, it hangs up on 'Connecting to server', then I get the "Connection failed" - it says it could not connect to the host.
  9. Paintball

Paintball New Member

Is your iPod and computer on the same network, and are you sure you put the same password into VNsea as you set with UltraVNC? And are you sure you are running the UltraVNC server, not the viewer?
  10. jmiz9000

jmiz9000 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    please
    thank you