[HOW TO] Save Home Screen Layout on iOS4

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by zrowny, Sep 6, 2010.

1. zrowny

zrowny New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This is my first tutorial and I hope somebody finds it useful (BTW, if this is in the wrong section could a mod move it?).

This may (or may not) happen to you, but occasionally my iPod Touch goes into safe mode, and I have to respring. I have no clue why, but for some reason, the layout of my apps reset to some point in the past. So about half of my apps end up on the last page, and I have to manually move them back into place. I really needed a way to save the layout, so I eventually found the file that stores the layout. Sorry for this long introduction, but I just wanted to make clear what the tutorial is used for.

REMEMBER TO BACK UP THE .PLIST!! I CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT MAY HAPPEN TO YOUR iDEVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Part A: To Simply Save The Layout

This is only if you want to back up the layout. If you want to edit it, see Part B.

Step One:

Navigate to "private/var/mobile/Library/SpringBoard" via SSH or using iFile.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Step Two:

Copy "IconState.plist" somewhere you can remember. You should also do this whenever you install an app, but this is optional.

Step Three:

Copy this .plist back to your iPhone/iPod Touch whenever your iPhone goes into safe mode, or if your icon layout gets screwed up.

To Manually Edit The Layout

This is if you want to edit the layout. If you only want to back it up, see Part A.

Step One:

Navigate to "private/var/mobile/Library/SpringBoard" via SSH.

Step Two:

Copy "IconState.plist" to your computer.

Step Three:

Open the .plist however you chose for editing. In this tutorial I will be using the iPodRobot plist Editor for Windows, but this will work with whatever you use to edit it.

Step Four:

Look at this image for basic reference on how the apps are listed. Click on it for full size.

Step Five:

Find the apps that are out of place. For me, those apps would always be on the last page, so I will look there for them.

To identify an app from it's bundle identifier, it should look like this: com.xxx.yyy
    The xxx would be the developer's name, and yyy is usually the app name, or similar to it.

Step Six:

Cut the apps from their location. YOU MUST DELETE THE SPACE LEFT! I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!!

Step Seven:

Paste the apps where you want them to go. YOU MUST INDENT OR DELETE THE INDENTS ENOUGH SO THAT THEY LINE UP!!! I CANNOT STRESS THIS EITHER!!!!!

Step Seven:

MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO SPACES BETWEEN LINES, AND THAT ALL THE INDENTS ARE LINED UP!

Step Eight:

Save the file, and copy it back to your iPhone/iPod Touch. Respring and your icons should be where you put them.

If you are having a problem, first, MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO SPACES BETWEEN THE LINES, AND THAT ALL THE INDENTS ARE LINED UP, make sure all the tags are complete (i.e. </string is wrong, there should be a > at the end), then you should post your problem.

Please post any errors in spelling/grammer, or anything you think I should add or change in this tutorial. Thank you!
  2. TheSmartGuy

TheSmartGuy New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Try MultiIconMover. It doesn't save your springboard layout, but it lets you move multiple icons at once. Using that whenever your layout gets randomly rearranged seems faster than this method.
  3. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    I have a easier tutorial. Use SpringBack
    It does all that in just 5 seconds
  4. zrowny

zrowny New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    But if your moving them into a folder, then it doesn't really help. And if all the apps are on different pages, then that's also a problem.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Does that work on iOS4? And from what I've read if there are new apps it hasn't backed up it could crash your iphone or something.