How to Run Many Distributions of Linux Via a Flash Drive! Featuring Pendrivelinux!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SHININGSTEEL, May 8, 2008.

1. SHININGSTEEL

SHININGSTEEL Banned

How to Run Many Distributions of Linux Via a Flash Drive! Featuring Pendrivelinux!

The makers of pendrivelinux.com have provided many easy methods of utilizing various distributions of Linux through a flash drive. In this thread I will give you step-by-step instructions on how to boot your personal Linux desktop with Windows just through a simple thumb drive. All you will need is the following supplies,

* 1 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (more memory may be recommended or required)
    *A Windows Host Computer. (XP/Vista)
    *Some Spare Time.
    In my previous thread (off-topic board) I demonstrated how to boot Ubuntu 7.10 within Windows. In this thread I will show you how to do that but with other alternative Linux distributions that perform much more faster within Windows. Speed is key if you want it to actually be practical. The main tutorial will be on how to run Pendrivelinux through Windows. I will also tell you how to boot it directly to yours or someone else's computer at start-up. Please be aware that you will also able to make persistent changes to this OS as well.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Why I am choosing Pendrivelinux? This distribution is very small and fast for use on a flash drive. When running something like Ubuntu or GoogleOS expect to see some sluggish performance. Damn Small Linux works just as well, but it is just as not as user-friendly and I like this a lot more.

So let us begin! I will be using the 2007 version of Pendrivelinux for the 2008 version has yet to be compatible with the software I am about to provide.

Step 1. You have to download the emulation program that will enable you to run the OS itself. Make a folder in your flash named "QemuPDL" and extract the file you are about to download here.

Step 2. Click "LaunchPDL.bat" and follow the instructions that follow on the screen. Select the persistent option every time, for if you do not your changes and data will not be saved!

Update! The 2008 version is able to boot within Windows! I will tell you how to get the new version after my download is complete!

If you wish to enable the internet all you have to do is,

All material was provided by http://pendrivelinux.com. I will have more to come on all this thumb drive goodness!

Need help?

PM me!

2. SHININGSTEEL

SHININGSTEEL Banned

3. SHININGSTEEL

SHININGSTEEL Banned