How to rename apps, change an app's icon and the lockscreen sounds w/no themes.

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by P_PM, Aug 13, 2010.

1. P_PM

P_PM New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    All of these need SSH and/or iFile. If you have neither of those, I recommend you get one if you want to do these. ^_^

App names:
    Open iFile or SSH and find the app you want to rename.
    Open the (app's default name).app folder.
    Find info.plist and edit it with Notepad if you're doing SSH. If you're using iFile, just tap the edit button in the upper left.
    Find the line (should be near the top) that says
    <key>CFBundleDisplayName</key>
    Go down to the next line. It should say
    <string>(app's default name)</string>
    Just change (app's default name) to whatever you want the apps new name to be. You may need to respring for changes to take effect.

App icons:
    Open iFile or SSH and find the icon you want to use to replace another. Copy it.
    Go to the folder of the app you want to have this icon.
    Paste the icon in the folder.
    Find the original icon of the app and delete it or copy it and name it BACKUP.png or something like that.
    MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE ORIGINAL ICON'S FILENAME.
    Rename the new icon to the original's name.
    IE if the original was called icon.png and the new one is called lolz.png, then rename lolz.png to icon.png.
    Now your app has a new icon. :D

Lockscreen sounds:
    This one's a little more complicated.
    Record two short sounds and save them as .AIF. You can use Audacity for this.
    One of them needs to be lock.AIF and the other needs to be unlock.AIF.

If you're using iFIle, you need to get them onto the device somehow. I recommend using Dropbox and putting the sounds into your Public folder, then using the app to download them.
    When you download them to your iDevice with the Dropbox app, they go to the folder /var/mobile/Applications/Dropbox/Library/Caches/CachedFiles/Public.

Open iFile or SSH and go to the folder /System/Library/Audio/UISounds. Copy your sound effects from your Dropbox folder to here after you rename the lock/unlock files to Default_lock/Default_unlock or something like that.
    Now, rename your lock and unlock AIF sounds to be lock.caf and unlock.caf. Erase the .AIF extension. You may need to respring for changes to take effect.
    TheHacker likes this.
  2. Jack cog

Jack cog Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You copied my lockscreen tutorial :(
  3. P_PM

P_PM New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    O-o
    I did? D:
    Sorry.
    I didn't know that anyone else had posted a lockscreen tutorial.
  4. itouchlovergp

itouchlovergp New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Help from anyone would be appreciated. This is concerning the custom voice things. I have both .aif files on the dropbox app on my iPod,but when I wanna download them, it says there is no app to download it. Can someone please help me?
  5. picklejw

picklejw Member

Device:
    iPad
    I think you can really use most audio types even, they dont have to be ".aif". I think I used mp3 on there at one point, just make sure the extension is named ".caf" :)

Also I noticed for retina display apps, all you do is make a images twice the size and when you load it on, you have the files name and you add @2x to it so like "filename@2x.png" verses the regular one setup like "filename.png"
  6. itouchlovergp

itouchlovergp New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    how does that help me? are you saying that if i use a different file extension, it will work?
  7. Toasty Bread

Toasty Bread Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    lol I could do this back when 3.0 was the newest firmware.
    I think the internal apps (a.k.a. "stock" apps) have their name bundle thinger in English.lproj (or whatever language)
  8. itouchlovergp

itouchlovergp New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    is there a way to rename the stock apps´sorry my question mark on my computer is messed.
  9. itouchlovergp

itouchlovergp New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Can you please give me a bit more detailed tutorial on the custom unlock sound(question mark) i am having trouble getting the unlock.aif and lock.aif files on my ipod. The .aif files i just mentioned are the ones i created, and i renamed them. i`am trying to download them using dropbox and when i try to download it, it says there is no app installed to support opening this file.
    can u please help me (question mark) my question mark key is messed
  10. TheHacker

TheHacker New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    To download the audio files or any files I recommend using safari download enabler