How to pwn and create a custom firmware

Discussion in 'Pwnage and Winpwn Discussions' started by flattop95, Jun 6, 2008.

1. flattop95

flattop95 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Pwange was created by the Dev team. It is a little bit like a jailbreak, but you gives you a lot more freedom, with your ipod. I'm going to help you along the way of using pwnage.

First thing first, you need to get a copy of pwnage. then you need to get the 1.1.4 restore file for your iphone or ipod touch.

your ipod/ iphone has to be running the 1.1.4 firmware, for pwnage to work.​

Open up pwnage tool and select browse .ipsw . To get the 1.1.4 firmware you can download it from the apple website, and SpoonForKnife has all the firmware links in his signature.Select iPhone1,1_1.1.4_4A102_Restore.ipsw or iPod1,1_1.1.4_4A102_Restore.ipsw . then press open

When pwnage tool asks you to put the device into restore mode. To do this plug in your device and hold down the home and power buttons until you see an arrow pointing to itunes.

pwnage tool will now have told you that it has loaded the firmware. Now select ipwner, scrolling white text will appear on your device, don't worry this is normal. Pwnage tool will alert you that your device has been pwned, scrolling text will still be on your device, don't touch your device at all. it will also say wait for reboot, so do that.

CREATING A CUSTOM FIRMWARE

First select ipsw builder, in pwnage tool, then in the general tabs select what you want to do. I recommend selecting activate, enable baseband update, neuter bootloader, unlock baseband, and auto delete bootneuter.app. Then go into custom packages tab, and select apps you want to be on your firmware. Always install BSD subsystem. If you want more help with custom packages go >HERE<
    In custom logos tab, select wether or not you want custom logos and pick the ones you want.​

Please Register or Log in to view images

Once you click OK, pwnage will create a custom firmware and load it into itunes' directory. Then go into itunes and on your iphone alt-click on restore and choose your custom firmware. When your device restarts it load bootneuter.app don't touch anything wait for it to go to the home screen​

I really hope this helps!​
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Why are the pictures so... Blurry...?
  3. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Pretty explanitory guide, well done. The pictures are bad format. I'm assuming it's because your using MS Paint, and you saved the image as a .jpeg. Instead, save it in PNG format so you don't loose any quality.
  4. flattop95

flattop95 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    idk, i'm on a mac btw, they've never been blurry on any other site before, its weird... and thanks
  5. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I would hold off on the guide since Pwnage Tool 1.2 is coming out soon with much more features :\
  6. flattop95

flattop95 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i know but i didn't know when it was going to come out, so i decided to do this, and 1.2 will be similar, it will probably just have the ability to add sources and apps without making custom packages, like in winpwn
  7. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It actually will have the ability to create a custom partition size, download apps from sources automatically and add them to the IPSW itself, and a lot more:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/
  8. flattop95

flattop95 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i didn't know about the partition thing, thats actually like really cool

Please Register or Log in to view images

, i was trying to say the apps and sources thing, i guess i didn't write it right, it'll be a lot like winpwn now.
  9. sunnyboi14

sunnyboi14 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I like it a lot, but doesn't it already have a help button in it?
  10. flattop95

flattop95 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    well yea, not everybody is observant