how to put video's on ipod touch 2g

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by et94, May 4, 2009.

1. et94

et94 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    what is a good converter that i can use to convert a video so that i can watch it on ipod touch 2g and can you tell me one that supports converting most formats avi,mpeg,mp4

thanks
  2. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well here's what I got when I used google, you should try it sometime, its helpful

Please Register or Log in to view images

I had a look into them, looks like the top result is the way to go
  3. GoldRush!

GoldRush! New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I love you, you got a non-google user to use google, you are probably the next messiah! You changed his life with the teaching of using google *worships*

I'm serious I do this pretty much all the time - no insults towards you Bobby just towards the poster

4. Top Lass

Top Lass New Member

Hi Guys

I haven't bought an iPod Touch yet but am thinking of getting one. A few years ago my sister owned a device called an Archos, and you could load your own films as well as record straight from the TV onto it. Can you do this with the iPod Touch? I used to record things like concerts on TV, episodes of things I'd later watch etc.

Any replies gratefully received.
  5. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    You can synchronize movies and TV shows and any other properly formatted video from a computer through iTunes, but there is no direct recording feature from a TV. Apple would never come close to breaking international copyright law!

6. Top Lass

Top Lass New Member

Copyright law

Thanks for the reply

How is it breaking copyright law if you put a film on a device if you own the DVD of that film? Also, if you copy a TV show how is that different from recording it on a VCR or DVD recorder? I'm not takling about putting these things on YouTube, just for myself to watch.

Having said that, it seems to me like it's an iTunes device all the way which is what I suspected. I think I'll go for something else, maybe check out if there are new Archos devices on the market.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind!

Much appreciated!!!

7. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Well, ripping DVDs is a grey area at this point. I didn't understand your original question, but judging from the quoted post, you can rip DVDs with Handbrake on a Mac or some other thing on a PC (not sure what) and then sync it over to your iPod.
  8. Top Lass

Top Lass New Member

This kind of puts me off too. As well as that we own two iPods (one was a present, the other won in a competition!) and the sound quality isn't as good as my Nokia phone. I have cranked up every sound level on them, and iTunes, and I own a pair of Sony ear phones that cost around £200, and I still find it quiet and poor - no I'm not deaf......lol...... I just like to turn it up for the odd bit of rock now and then.

I did think that if I could use it to watch my own films/record TV (and I don't want to rip or whatever it takes) it might make up for the poor sound. To be honest it's so long ago I can't even remember what I did on the Archos. All I can remember is putting about 8 films on it and around 20 albums and I recorded a concert and a few TV shows - all to watch/listen to on my holiday. Like I say it was my sisters, but it was so easy to use it was great. I'll have a look round for a new one and get that.

Whatever device I have ever used, messing around changing formats, crunching DVD's into smaller sizes, ripping them etc etc etc always results in loss of quality. Maybe things have changed......

Thanks again
  9. jonathan8055

jonathan8055 New Member

10. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Xvid4PSP

I learned about Xvid4PSP here in the forum: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120309

I already have .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 in Vista Basic: .Net Framework 3.0 is a requisite.

The instructions at http://www.winnydows.com/page.php?2 say I have to turn off the UAC (right-click User Accounts in Control Panel classic view). I did.

Here are the setting selections for a free iTunes Store HD podcast, that would not play on my Touch 2G:

Input Resolution: 1280x720
    Output Resolution: 480 272
    Resize filter: Lanczos4Resize
    Input aspect: 1.778 (16:9)
    Output aspect: 1.765 (1:1)
    How fix aspect difference: Disabled
    Crop top, bottom: 0 0
    Crop left, right: 0 0
    Black width, height: 0 0
    Autocrop sensitivity 24

Now, I use XviD4PSP free software to make all sorts of formats or different HD run for Touch 2G.

Now, I just use these settings:

Format: MP4 iPhone or Touch
    Denoise/Sharpen: Disabled
    Brightness/Contrast: Disabled
    Video Encoding: x264 HQ Ultra
    Audio Encoding: AAC-LC ABR 128k

I only have had to select "import" in iTunes.

I know that still works in 3.0 because I selected "import" for Star Trek the movie, I had googled, and after the iTunes "import" I find and play Star Trek the movie in the "Videos" web app in my Touch 2G.