[HOW TO] Play (some) Gameboy Color games on GPSPhone! (Windows)

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Minus Human, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Minus Human

Minus Human Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    (Windows)[There's another REALLY old topic on here about this but it doesn't work AT ALL.]

--I am aware that there is "GAMEBOY ADX" but I cannot find where that emulator saves the ".sav" files so for people like me who play the same save files on your ipod and sometimes your comp, this doesn't work. Plus the in-game save does work for "GAMEBOY ADX."--

Okay, since ALMOST every emulator is broken for the 4.2.1 jailbreak and up.. it sucked. (GPSPhone and PSX4All still worked though.) I really wanted to play GBC games on the go. So, I kept searching and searching how to convert GBC games to GBA files. I tried this "Goomba" program and it converted the game successfully, kinda, but it would only work on my PC emulator, not the iPod one and it wouldn't save no matter what I did.

Well, after another nights worth of searching, I found this program called "PocketGBtoGBA." (I will attach a download link because it was a pain in the ass to find.) This converts the game successfully. You do not need to mess with ANYTHING after the first screen, just keep pressing next, it will give you a warning saying it might not work because the file you are using is GBC and not GB, but ignore it, keep going and it will work.

Now, with this final game... It will add a yellow color to anywhere that used to be white. But it's not an ugly yellow, its a nice soft one and I was easily able to get past it. The game runs fine on my "Visual Boy Advance" emulator on my PC, and it also works and saves fine on GPSPhone on iOS 4.2.1 on my iPod Touch 4th Gen. (Don't see why it shouldn't for for every other iOS and iDevice though.)

I've only tried a few games so far.

WORKING:
    Pokemon Yellow (Default in game save works fine for PC and iPod)

NOT WORKING:
    Pokemon Silver (Runs on Visual Boy Advance AND GPSPhone, but doesn't save.)
    Pokemon Gold (Runs on Visual Boy Advance AND GPSPhone, but doesn't save.)
    Pokemon Crystal (Not compatible error)

---
    If anyone can get the Johto games working, that would be great. I haven't tried any other Kanto games yet, but at least we know Yellow works.

...Yay!

Attached Files:

2. GadgetOrgy

GadgetOrgy Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Did you find any Gameboy Advance Emulators? Because I really wanted to play pokemon emerald but I couldn't find an emulator that would SAVE
  3. Minus Human

Minus Human Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    GPSPhone saves fine for me on Pokemon Emerald. Make sure your ".sav" file has: "Read, write, and execute" enabled for the first 3 properties in iFile!
  4. Minus Human

Minus Human Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Bumping because I really want to hear feedback...
  5. Bigray14719

Bigray14719 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Dont expect a whole lot of feedback. Roms are a sensetive issue. Borderline illegal discussion. The majority of people who use roms dont actually own the original game, so it's stealing. I'm just letting you know it's not a real popular topic around here.
  6. [AFX]

[AFX] Well-Known Member

What emulators don't work for you? The folder for the sav files are here, for gameboy adx:

/var/mobile/media/roms/gb

If that's something you were asking. I can test the roms for you if you would like for confirmation. Have you tried GBC.emu?

Also, you can't assume everyone downloads roms. I know what you are saying though, but some people including someone I know who actually owns a huge collection of actual carts (mega collector, owns arcade boards too) dump the rom image. So I bring him some games that we had laying around. Ain't that legit? Haha..
  7. JMSwan

JMSwan Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Lol! That is not a bump. Bumping a thread is quite longer than a day!
  8. Minus Human

Minus Human Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Accccctuallly....

When you do the ingame save it does not save any files in that location.

I do not want save states I want the ingame saves. The save states suck for Pokemon games because the game auto restarts itself after you beat the elite 4 and you have to use the ingame save then to keep all your data.

And actually, Im going to buy GBC.emu now. It the ingame save works fine and it runs all my roms I need then I guess this topic is pretty useless unless someone wants a legal free way to do the ingame saves...
  9. [AFX]

[AFX] Well-Known Member

Downloaded the emulator and did a test. Those files can be found at:

/var/mobile/library/igbc

Try that. Downloaded the emulator (gameboy adx), started a game of pokemon gold, did an in game save and the .sav is present
  10. Minus Human

Minus Human Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yes GBC.emu seems to work just how I need it.

I was so proud of this topic too...

Anyway thanks...