iOS 4.0 How To Overclock ios3.0 + ios4.0---ALL DEVICES

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by xX-SicKsKiLZz-Xx, Jul 31, 2010.

?

Did This Mod Make Any Differance?

1. Yes, My iDevice Now Seems Alot Faster With This Mod, Thanks!

41 vote(s)
    42.7%
  2. No, My iDevice Seems The Same Speed, Uninstalling As I Type...

38 vote(s)
    39.6%
  3. No My iDevice Has Went Into A Boot Loop!, Restoring As I Type...

17 vote(s)
    17.7%
  1. xX-SicKsKiLZz-Xx

xX-SicKsKiLZz-Xx Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Since the first overclocking thread was a big letdown, I started this one...

This is the only potentially working method I have found for overclocking or underclocking your device.

DISCLAIMER
    I have only tested this on an iPhone 3G running 3.1.3, 4.0 and 4.0.1 as well as an iPhone 2G running 3.1.3
    + an iPod touch MC model running 3.1.3, 4.0 and 4.0.1. I assume that this WILL work for the 3Gs, as well as the rest of the iPod Touch family. The architecture is almost identical, though I take no responsibility for a bricked device.

You use this at your OWN RISK.

Don't bother trying to use SYSinfo to see if you have a higher clock speed. I'm starting to believe SYSinfo uses your iDevice's model number to look up the specs it displays.

How it works

This hack edits the "fstab" file located in your iDevice's boot sector, adding the CPUFrequency control before it loads the firmware, therefore increasing the CPU speed before the iPhone OS locks out the command.

What I experienced after the hack

Since I did this to my iDevices, I have noticed a considerable decrease in load time for apps, all my games seem to run much faster and smoother. Boot time is not a noticeable difference, but then again, the 3Gs jailbroken takes a while to boot too. This is definitely not a placebo. I swear my device is faster. - I also have noticed a slight decrease in battery life, which only convinces me further that the hack is infact working correctly.

HOW TO DO IT

1. SSH into your device and navigate to "/Private/etc/" and copy the file "fstab" to your computer, make sure you have 2 copies, one for backup, and one to edit. (This can also be done with iFile, but it is suggested that you use SSH so that a backup can be made on your computer.)

2. Open the file using Notepad, or Text Editor on mac. (or iFile on your iDevice, if you'd like)

3. When you open the file, you should see something like this. (may vary a little by device)

Code:
    [COLOR="Red"]/dev/disk0s1 / hfs rw 0 1
    /dev/disk0s2 /private/var hfs rw 0 2[/COLOR]

add the following lines of code BEFORE what is already there.
    Code:
    [COLOR="Red"]su
    alpine[/COLOR] (or your personal root password)
    [COLOR="Red"]sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_max=???000000[/COLOR] (Replace ??? with your desired 3 digit speed in mHz. Make sure there are 6 zeros following your setting.)
    [COLOR="Red"]sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency=???000000[/COLOR] (same as above)
    [COLOR="Red"]sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_min=???000000[/COLOR] (set to about your actual clock speed, use wikipedia or google to find your device's clock speed.)

UPDATE - Since your iDevice has a stepping processor, which lowers CPU speed when battery gets to a certain level, or when idle, you can set hw.cpufrequency_min to something higher if you'd like more speed all the time. Don't go higher than cpufrequency_max, and be reasonable.

My 3G is set to 550mHz, with a 450mHz minimum.

4. When you're finished, the fstab file should look something like this. (with whatever settings you put in, may vary by device a little)

Code:
    [COLOR="Red"]su
    alpine
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_max=550000000
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency=550000000
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_min=450000000
    /dev/disk0s1 / hfs rw 0 1
    /dev/disk0s2 /private/var hfs rw 0 2[/COLOR]

Save the file, and return to the "/Private/etc/", replace the original with the modified version, just to be sure, set the permissions to 0755. (You made a backup, right?)

5. Reboot the iDevice, it might take a little longer than usual, you just tripled the size of one of the main boot files.

6. Enjoy your now overclocked/underclocked idevice.

UPDATE:

so here is the Test result of my processor by default (unmodified fstab file) -- processor should run in 600mHz

Please Register or Log in to view images

then i try to modified the file, change the Max Speed to 700mHz, the Normal Speed to 675 mHz and the minimum speed is set to default 600 mHz

and then Re-Boot and i ran the test again, and see the processor performance...

here the result after i modified the file :

maybe it just coincidence =b, but the amount of Square root that can be processed by the processor in 1 sec is doubled from 250 million to 500 million

and the Null Ops is increase from 192 to 200 million...

so i leave the "opinion part" for u... hehehehe

(the screenshots are from checkup v1.2)
  2. LastChaosBeast

LastChaosBeast New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What does this do?
  3. xX-SicKsKiLZz-Xx

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    makes your idevice faster
  4. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You didn't write this. But I understand why you can't give credit. Glad this was brought to the forums...
  5. xX-SicKsKiLZz-Xx

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    i never said i wrote this, i would`ve gaven credit but due to the forums strict rules...
  6. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    This doesn't work. The reason why your device seemed faster is because you had to restart after you apply the modification. As far as this goes, it's only trying to modify a system parameter that reports CPU frequency. This parameter used to be able to switch CPU frequency on 2.0 and earlier, I believe, but Apple has since blocked it in future updates and hard-coded CPU frequency into the kernel.

As it is right now, you need a whole new kernel if you want to overclock your iDevice... And this was also taken from the place you read about this mod. I think that should about wrap it up.
  7. Zink

Zink Member

Device:
    iPad
    Can anyone confirm this works?
  8. Pandawg

Pandawg Community Development

I'll try this out on my 3G. Looks promising.
  9. xX-SicKsKiLZz-Xx

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    let us know if you notice a differance

10. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Work on iPad?