How to make your own Custom Lockscreen!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Semipro, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Semipro

Semipro New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Custom Lockscreen!

Requirements- A jailbroken iPod touch or iPhone. OpenSSH and Winterboard installed. Photoshop or any good Image Editing Software. WinSCP for Windows users. Or CyberDuck for Mac users.

Creating the Images:

We’re going to start off real simple. We’re going to make a custom background for your lock screen, and a custom slider. Let’s start with the background.

Using Adobe Photoshop, go to File>New. We need to be specific about the parameters. We know our iPhone screen’s resolution is 320 x 480, at 72 dpi. Also, set the background to “Transparent”. It should look something like this:

Please Register or Log in to view images

Okay, this is the part where you gotta get those creative juices flowing. What do you like? Cars? Sports? Babes? Stamp collecting? Make it personal. You can either create something in Photoshop, or just find some cool images.

Once you’re satisfied with your design, you need to save it. Let’s just put it on the desktop, for now. The file name needs to be exactly like this “LockBackground.png”.

Next, we’re going to create a custom slider, or “bottom bar knob”, as it is labeled in the iPhone. Again, in Photoshop, go File>New. This image will be rather tiny. The dimensions for the slider are 71 x 47, at 72 dpi. Should look something like this:

Again, this is the creative part. I would suggest keeping the slider simple, as it is a small image. You won’t see a bunch of detail in there, it would just turn muddy.

Okay, now let’s save it. Just on the desktop for now. The file name needs to be exactly this: “bottombarknobgray.png”.

Packaging the theme for Winterboard:

Let’s get your theme ready for Winterboard. On your desktop, create a new folder, and name it whatever you want your theme to be called. Drag and drop you “LockBackground.png” in there. Then within that folder, create another folder, and name it “Bundles”. Within the “Bundles” folder, create another folder and name it “com.apple.TelephonyUI”. Drag and drop your “bottombarknobgray.png” into the “com.apple.TelephonyUI” folder. The final result should look something like this:

Once you’ve SSH’d into your device, navigate to Library>Themes-or private>var>stash>Themes. Then transfer over the entire folder, that we created earlier.

Next open up Winterboard, and you should see you theme on the list. Select it, and exit Winterboard. Your device will respring, and when it comes back up, you should see your new lockscreen! Mine turned out like this!

2. JayZ11

JayZ11 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i know this already but nice tutorial man! wish when i started there was simple tutorials like this well atleast there was saurik's site.
  3. Semipro

Semipro New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
  4. DragonDX

DragonDX New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks, I might try it this weekend.
  5. Vlaad_916

Vlaad_916 New Member

6. ShinyPants

ShinyPants New Member

It's important to note that if you want the slider to blend with the background, it might not work when you're playing music, as the album art blacks it out.

If that makes sense

7. lawgone

lawgone Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'll just bump this thread because I'm experiencing some problems regarding this.

Alright, back in 4.1 this guide works well with me. Particularly the custom slider part where there's no background, just the plain lockscreen wallies.

However, I've noticed that in 4.2.1, I can't get rid of the default background image where the slider goes along.

Hope anyone could help me out.