Welcome to the iFans Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

iOS 4.0 [HOW-TO] Make Custom Lock/Unlock Sounds

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by JakeMan, Aug 9, 2010.

1. JakeMan

JakeMan Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    How to make custom lock/unlock sounds for your iDevice

If you've ever wanted a custom lock/unlock sound for your iDevice (or any new sound for that matter), this is the right guide for you.​

*I am a Mac user, therefore the exact methods I describe below work best for Mac users, but will work for Windows users. I will try to make it both Windows and Mac friendly*

There are some requirements for this, however, but nothing major. You need:
    1. To be jailbroken
    2. Winterboard
    3. iTunes
    4. SSH access to your iDevice (or any other way of access, I find SSH easiest)
    5. A sound file you wish to use

If you don't meet these requirements, they're easy to get.

To jailbreak, go here if you have iOS 3.1.X, or go here if you have iOS 4.0.X.

To obtain Winterboard, open Cydia and search for Winterboard. Install, reboot, and you're set.

You have iTunes. If not, I don't understand how you use your iDevice, but go here if you don't.

For SSH, open Cydia on your iDevice and search for "OpenSSH" and install that package. Then on your computer, download WinSCP if you have Windows, or Cyberduck if you have a Mac.

There are many ways to get sounds. As for me, I use Screenium to record sounds from the internet, then use Garage Band to crop the sound to my desire, use iTunes to convert and then I have my sound file.
    Basically, you need a way to record and crop a sound. I have found Screenium to record and Garage Band work very well for me.

Once you meet these requirements, you will be able to successfully create and use custom sounds on your iDevice.

Step One
    The Sound File

Assuming you have met ALL the requirements above, you need to know what sounds you want to use. There's BILLIONS of small sounds available, some for download some you send to your phone ect.

This part is probably the hardest because of the wide variety of sounds, their availabilities, and methods to obtain them. What I myself do is open up Screenium (a screen/sound recorder for Macs, similar to Hypercam) and browse around for a sound I want. I find Entertonement useful for finding sounds I like. When I find the sound I want, I run Screenium to record the sound and save the raw file. I then open Garage Band (sound editor, standard on Macs) and then crop the sound file. After that, I export it to iTunes and play the sound.

If you are satisfied with it and are done making changes, you have completed the first step. Good job :D

Step Two
    Converting the Sound

-Thank you for your input!
    -Now my method

Go to the Apple website and do the following:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1348

Locate your sound in iTunes, and then click on it so it becomes highlighted.

[​IMG]

Next, click Advanced at the top and click "Create AIFF Version"

[​IMG]

Or, right click it and click "Create AIFF Version"

[​IMG]

After that, right click your sound and select "Show in Finder" for Macs, there's a similar option for Windows users. (Sorry I don't know the exact option)

[​IMG]

When the window pops up, it will have your sound already selected.

[​IMG]

Right click on the sound and select rename, and change the .aif to .caf.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Play the new .caf sound real quick to make sure it is the sound you want to use. If you like it, you're all set to move on.

Step Three
    Preparing your .caf Sound

You're almost there!

Now, move your .caf sound file to your desktop. Depending on what sound this is going to replace, you need to rename it. If it's your unlock sound, you need to name if unlock.caf. If it is your lock sound, rename it to lock.caf.

-There's many more sounds you can replace; they need exact names though. I'll update this guide soon to list more sounds you can replace, or fellow forum members can say some in the comments. I will then add it to this guide and credit you.

While at your desktop, make a folder. Let's name it CustomSounds for right now. Open this folder, and create a new folder called UISounds. It NEEDS to be called UISounds. Drag your sound file(s) to the UISounds folder.

When you are completely done adding sounds, go back to your desktop. Remember the CustomSounds folder? We need to rename it. The reason why we are renaming it now is because some computers will recognize the extension we are adding, and will try to open it with a different program. So once you are completely happy with your sounds, rename CustomSounds to CustomSounds.theme. CustomSounds can be replaced by anything, but it needs to have the extension .theme. When you have your sounds in your new .theme folder, you can now move onto the next step!

Step Four
    SSH

After this step, you can wave your computer goodbye and prepare to turn your iDevice on and off for hours as your new sounds entertain you. Or maybe that's just me...

Anyways, you need to find the IP of your iDevice. If you have SBSettings, open it up and it will show you on the drop down menu. If not, open up Settings>Wi-Fi>Your connection>IP Address.

[​IMG]

Yours may not be the same as mine, but that's the number you need.

Open your SSH client, and open an SSH connection to your iDevice. For Server (Address, IP, ect) type in the IP of your device. For the username, type root. The password by default is alpine. Some people change theirs with the passwd command in Mobile Terminal. If you have no idea what that means, your password is likely alpine. Connect to your device, and it should establish and SSH connection.

Once connected, it will show a folder. Sometimes it changes, just navigate your way to the very beginning of your iDevice. The directory is:
    Code:
    /
    Yes, just a slash. It's like C:\ on a Windows computer, or Macintosh HD for a Mac. From here, you'll see a folder called Library. Open that folder.

In Library, you should see a folder called Themes. Open that. Right now, you should be in this directory:
    Code:
    /Library/Themes
    Add your CustomSounds.theme (or whatever you named it) to that directory. Once it's there, you're pretty much done.

Step Five
    Winterboard

This is it. Open Winterboard on your device, and then select manage themes. You should see CustomSounds (or whatever you named it). Select that and make sure it's checked. Just push the home button after that, your iDevice will respring, and you should then be at your unlock screen. Unlock your device and if you hear a new sound, CONGRATULATIONS!!! You have made your own custom sound(s)!

If you have any troubles, please let me know so I can update my guide. Thank you!

-I take no responsibility for any damage that could happen to your device while doing this. If you follow the methods stated above nothing will go wrong.
  2. Bl1tzkrieg

Bl1tzkrieg Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm going to attempt this and get Oli Sykes screaming at me when i lock my device 8)
  3. jack rules32

jack rules32 Banned

4. JKJones

JKJones Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    All it did is get rid of my lock and unlock sounds what'd I do wrong
  5. JakeMan

JakeMan Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Make sure the .caf sounds play correctly before you add them to the .theme file. Also, they can't be very large files. I tried to make a theme that played Love Story when my friend turned on his iPod, but it was too long to work. Sounds less than 5 seconds usually work best.
  6. JKJones

JKJones Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Alright what program do I play it with because it doesn't have a program associated with it so I don't know how to play it also it is 3 seconds long so it should be good right and should I have just changed the extension or found some kind of converter?
  7. Rec99s

Rec99s New Member

GLADOS on the iphone... EPIC!!

I was trying to go to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds and replacing my custom lock.caf and unlock.caf directly from there but it didn't seem to work. for those 2 atleast. It worked for the mail, text, and one more I cant remember but just wouldn't work for the lock and unlock. Awesome tutorial! THANKS!
  8. pyromatic

pyromatic New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Great guide! should be a Sticky.
  9. JakeMan

JakeMan Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You should be able to play it with iTunes.
  10. SpeedyApocalypse

SpeedyApocalypse Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Nice guide, thanks