[HOW TO] Make a Glasklart icon

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by auni1996, Jun 6, 2010.

1. auni1996

auni1996 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Glasklart is a very popular theme with over 5000 custom icons installed with the package. Still...there are apps that don't have custom icons. I'm going to show you how to make your own Glasklart icons. (You will need Photoshop, or an alternative software that can use PSDs).

1. Get the app's icon.

a) For apps in iTunes:

Go to your apps section. Drag the file for the app onto your desktop. Open this file (.ipa) in a web browser. It will prompt you to download it. Save it as 'all files' and add '.zip' to the end of the file. Unzip the file to get the 'iTunes Artwork' file.

b) For apps not in iTunes
    Find the application using iFile. It should be located somewhere in "root/private/user/Applications" Go through the random folders until you find your app. Email the 'iTunes Artwork' file to yourself.

2. Convert the 'iTunes Artwork' file.
    Take the file and rename it to AppName.png. The app name is exactly how its spelled (case sensitive)(space sensitive) on your springboard.

3. Icon Template.
    Download the Icon Template below and open it up with photoshop.

4. Edit your icon.
    The editing process is a simple one. First, make sure that your white is selected as your background colour. This can be done by pressing 'd'. Open up your icon file in Photoshop (keep the icon template in the background). Using the magic wand tool (or any other selection tool), select the portion of the icon that will be white on the icon. After you've selected it, hit Ctrl+Backspace and then Ctrl+C.

5. Using the template.
    With your selection copied, go to your Icon Template file. Hit Ctrl+V to paste your selection into the file. Click on the new layer that came with the pasted selection (Layer #). Click anywhere on the screen and hit Ctrl+T. Now you can resize the selection to whatever you want. NOTE: By enabling the 'Recommended Glyph Size' layer, you can snap your selection to that square.

6. Finish the icon.
    When you are happy with your sizing, its time to finish it off as an image. MAKE SURE THE REC. GLYPH SIZE LAYER IS HIDDEN. In the 'Button styles' folder, there are several more folders. Play around with hiding certain ones to add effects to your icons. When you are content with the look of the icon, hit Shift+Ctrl+S (save as). Save it wherever you want as AppName.png.

7. Adding the file to your iPod.
    To add your file to the Glasklart Theme, open WinSCP or whatever SSH program you're using. Navigate to wherever your icon is located on the left pane. Navigate to root/var/stash/theme.******/Glasklart Icons.theme/Icons. Here, you will find the 5600 icons already installed. Hold and drag your icon into the folder and respring your iPod.

Notes
    If the icon remains unchanged on the springboard, double check the name in WinSCP. Make sure the capitalizations are right and that there are no unnecessary spaces.

If there is a random grey square on the icon on my springboard, uncheck the 'Recommended Glyph Size' layer in the PSD.

Do NOT open the Glasklart Icons folder in iFile. It will crash iFile or take 10 minutes to load.

Will add screenshots later on.

Attached Files:

2. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    nice tut....This is very helpful for those that need help with making icons. and opening the Glaskart icons in ifile doesnt crash it. It just takes some time to load icons since there is so many icons (over 5000).
  3. auni1996

auni1996 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah but its usually a real pain to what 10 minutes before you can use iFile again. Anything else I should add to the Notes section?
  4. peebrian202869

peebrian202869 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    you could ssh it instead if its that much of a hassle.

Great tutorial... =]
  5. auni1996

auni1996 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    When you SSH it and take the .png, Windows can't read it properly. It ends up as a black square.

How can I get this a sticky? (There are a bunch of Glasklart topics).
  6. gothminion

gothminion New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I don't find that iFile takes that long to load the folder. Around 30 seconds.
    Great tutorial - only I don't have photoshop, so could you maybe put the actual functions as well as the shortened so we can use paint.net or gimp or whatever? Thanks.
  7. music3000

music3000 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    SBSettings/More/AppFolders will tell you exactly which of those random folders contains the app contents you need!
  8. saireuh

saireuh New Member

Finding the theme files in the SSH

I'm using CyberDuck on my Mac to access my iPhone and for some reason, when I connect I only see /Media and /Library... and nothing in /Library looks remotely like anything I would need to edit a theme's folder.

Help?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Btw, great tutorial!!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Hutchy4122

Hutchy4122 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have done everything right, including matching the name of the image file to the name of the existing icon, but all I am left with is a blank white icon in place of the original icon on the springboard. I have resprung and rebooted the device but nothing has happened. Is there something I am doing wrong?
  10. DarkAura17

DarkAura17 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Welcome new user! First off, please feel free to post a new topic next time since this one is close to a year old. Secondly, which app(s) are you trying to theme?