How to make a game ?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by WindsurfX, Jan 30, 2008.

1. WindsurfX

WindsurfX Member

Hello guys,

How do i make games for touch ? I will make a mahjong game

Please Register or Log in to view images

I have much time
  2. hawaii94

hawaii94 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I am sorry. I want to know who to do that as well
  3. HONDACIVICKID

HONDACIVICKID New Member

4. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

I don't mean to sound trite here, but when it comes to programming applications from scratch, if you have to ask, you're not ready.

To explain -- learning to develop web-based applications (as azbmxrider linked to in his post) is fairly difficult but not impossible. This will work, but only to a limited degree.

For complete and full applications that run natively on the iPhone, you first have to learn how to program in Objective C (if you are already familiar with ANSI C, then you probably have a good head start, but Objective C adds quite a bit to it that you may not be familiar with). Once you know Objective C (or if you already know Objective C) then you need to download and familiarize yourself with the iPhone/iPod Touch toolchain with which you will develop your applications -- or alternatively, you will need to familiarize yourself with the SDK once Apple releases it in a couple of weeks.

If you have no programming experience, then even if you are capable of picking things like this up very quickly, you can count on spending a few pretty intense months just getting to the point where you are capable of churning out even very basic (but functional) programs without having to refer back to the tutorials.

As much as you may want to develop applications for the Touch/iPhone, this is really only the sort of thing you should consider undertaking if you are really, really serious and ready to spend a lot of time and effort on it.
  5. WindsurfX

WindsurfX Member

Well, you are right

It's difficult but which langauge i'll shall learn ? I'm interested in iphone/Touch and computer language.
  6. steeped

steeped New Member

If your going to start with learning to program, start with VB, then go to JAVA, then go to C
  7. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Then you need to learn Objective C, as that is the language used to develop applications on these devices. Or you can learn to develop web apps -- that would be easier and somewhat quicker, but you would also be limited as to what you could do, and web apps are pretty slow.

You could also learn Java and develop with that, so long as everyone has the Jiggy runtime installed. That's a new development, but it works quite well. (Scrabble and Text Twist were both developed with Jiggy) Have a look at the Jiggy site for more details on that. Javascript is a lot easier to code with -- though it is a lot more limited -- and it's quite fast, too.
  8. Jodymitoma

Jodymitoma New Member

You know what I'd like to do?...
    Take a free Object C class. Who's willing to teach me?

On a more serious note - Eric, we still need to figure out this whole Object C mess.

9. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Objective C freaks me out a little. Straight-up ANSI C was pretty simple and easy to follow, all things considered. C++ complicated matters a lot, but it was still sort of manageable -- though I didn't get too much into C++, and that was long ago anyway. But Objective C... some weird functions and methods there. They don't make the same kind of clear sense normal C does at first blush. Maybe if I actually sat down and tried to understand them (and while I'm at it take a major refresher on C itself) I might get it.

Jiggy looks fun, too, and probably a lot easier to get into than ObC, at least in the short term.

The limitations might be a pain, but it runs surprisingly smooth. And then there's that pesky runtime you have to make sure everyone has -- but I don't think that's a big problem.