[HOW TO] Make a COMPLETE Backup of your iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by lauNchD, Jul 23, 2008.

1. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    There's been a lot of backup apps for the iPod, but all of them just backed up a part of the filesystem or only your calendar/notes, etc. This backup method takes FOREVER (5 hrs. on my 8gig), but it dumps the ENTIRE content of the iPod's NAND memory / drive. You can use this method to restore to your EXACT SAME 1.1.4 STATE if you want to go back. By the way, this will work on all firmwares as long as you are jailbroken and have the BSD Subsystem or Cydia and OpenSSH.

WARNING: I provide this "as-is" and will try to help you with any problems, but can't guarantee anything if your iPod gets bricked, which it most certainly won't, though.

Comments and suggestions accepted

Please Register or Log in to view images

1. Log into your iPod with an SFTP client. On the Mac, I prefer Cyberduck. Put the iPod as close as you can get to your router for better reception, set Auto-Lock to Never and have it connected to a power source, so it's charging, since this is going to take a while.

2. Make sure you are in the root directory (not /private/var/root, but /).

3. Navigate to the folder /dev and copy the file rdisk0 to somewhere safe on your computer. This file will be only a few hundred MBs smaller than your drive size, since you're backing up the entire drive. BTW: Erasing music won't make this process quicker, since the place where your music once was will be copied anyway.

4. WAIT! As I already said, this will take a REALLY long time, so feel free to do somethig else; get some fresh air or minimize your SFTP program.

5. When it's done, add the .iso extension to the file. That's not necessary, but will let your computer know it's an image file. You can't mount it (double-click and it will open), though, because both partitions of the iPod are in there.
    IF you want something mountable on your computer, copy rdisk0s1 (system partition, takes about 15 minutes) or rdisk0s2 (the media partition, takes almost as long as the whole thing), rename the file to .iso and double-click to see the partiton on your computer and browse through it. (only on a Mac or a PC with MacDrive, though).

6. You're done! Feel free to update to 2.0, now all data is saved. If you want to go back, check the following out:

Restoring the Backup

WARNING: This process will erase everything you have on your iPod currently and replace it with your backup image. This was NOT tested since I haven't needed it, but theoretically it should. If you want to downgrade, though, use it, because you lost almost everything anyway. This CAN'T brick your iPod. The worst thing it does is making you restore again in DFU, when the process is interrupted.

(If you already are on the firmware from which you made the backup, skip this step.)

Update/downgrade to the firmware version you were on when you made the backup, because when you install the 1.1.4 system on a device that had 2.0 on it, the 2.0 bootloader is still there and doesn't know what to do with the 1.1.4 system and won't boot. So downgrade or update to get the proper bootloader for your firmware.
    Then rejailbreak and install BSD Subystem or Cydia & OpenSSH.
    Here is a guide on how to downgrade 2.0.

2. Log into your iPod via SSH, so that you see a terminal window and can type stuff into it. On a Mac, you open the Terminal and type in ssh root@ipodip. WinSCP includes a terminal and there is also an app called PuTTY. At the same time, also login with your SFTP client. (WinSCP does both, so you simply can open and close its terminal.) Put the iPod as close as you can get to your router for better reception, set Auto-Lock to Never and have it connected to a power source, so it's charging, since this is going to take a while. If this is interrupted, you will have to restore your iPod again.

3. Type in the following commands into your Terminal:
    umount -f /private/var
    mount -o ro /private/var
    mount -o ro /

Now, your iPod's GUI becomes unresponsive, so don't try to touch it now, it appears to hang!
    This is also your last chance to turn back. If you decide not to continiue, you have to force reboot your iPod NOW, or try to reboot it from the Terminal.

4. Then, dig up your big backup file, remove the .iso extension if you put one there, and rename the file to disk0.

5. In your SFTP client, navigate to /dev again and copy your disk0 file. Yes, you want to replace it.

6. WAIT! This will probably even take a bit longer than backing up. If this process is interrupted, you will have to restore (with iTunes) again, so make sure your computer doesn't crash and the connection is steady.

7. You're done! If you can still type stuff into the terminal, type in reboot to restart your iPod. If not, simply force reboot it by holding down the Home and Power buttons for 6 seconds. You should be seeing your old iPod state after rebooting now!

Any Errors?

non-regular file: Try to use a different SFTP client. Cyberduck worked fine for me, but the sftp command-line program didn't.
    resource busy: Make sure you typed those commands into the terminal.
    "bricked"/hangs at Apple logo: Force your iPod into recovery mode and restore.

Hope this helped you guys,
    lauNchD.
  2. h_picko

h_picko New Member

Nice

Will try when someone approves it
  3. lauNchD

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I tested the Backup, that works. But since than I didn't have any reason to restore to that backup. I would recommend everybody to make a backup, and if they need it later, they can restore.
  4. der_koarl

der_koarl New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    sounds great!!! waiting for approval though.
    other backup apps didnt work for me
  5. lauNchD

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I'm not saying it will work 100%, but it operates completely different from other backup apps. It's a low-level backup and dumps the entire disk, not just some files. That means if you restore the backup, EVERYTHING will be identical to when you backed up your iPod, even your active SummerBoard theme and music. It will behave like you just restarted it from the backup.
  6. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    is there anyway you can do this via USB, cos it will be MUCH quicker. like using TotalCommander or something?
  7. lauNchD

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Files in /dev don't work with afc2 (the protocol iTunes & TotalCommander use), I already tried. The only thing you could do over USB (type that into the Terminal):
    cp /dev/rdisk0s1 /var/mobile/systemimage.iso
    and download the file systemimage.iso with TotalCommander and then delete it.
    That would back up your system partition, if you can read HFS+ you could double-click and mount the system partition. If you BossTool'd, it's useless though, because all apps are on the media partition. Logically, you couldn't do that with rdisk0, because the iPod disk doesn't have enough space to copy itself

8. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    wow, lol. I understood most of that. But yeah, i see why it's useless now. cos i have Bosstool'd it

thanks anyway
  9. lauNchD

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Well, that's not like stuff you do every day. What I did in the 5 hours:
    • Started copying and stayed there for 1 hour
    • Went to eat something
    • Walked around a little
    • Came back, stayed there another hour
    • DONE !

You don't have to stand there and watch the entire time. Plus, you just need to do it once. I know using SSH is stupid, though.
  10. timmyj9

timmyj9 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    is there anyway to backup a not jailbroken ipod? (not in itunes)