iOS 3.1 [HOW TO] Jailbreak Using Spirit

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by b-mac 39, May 3, 2010.

1. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Ok this is my first tutorial, so go easy on me.

First, make sure you have a NON-JAILBROKEN DEVICE!

I cannot stress this enough. If the iPhone/iPod is jailbroken, Spirit will not work. Period.
    Step 1: Download Spirit from this website: spiritjb.com (mods, if this is against the rules, tell me and I will remove it.)

Step 2: Open the windows or Mac application that accompanies the download. On Mac, the application should look like this:

Please Register or Log in to view images

Step 3: (Note: this is only for Windows users; Mac users may skip to step 4) Right click on the application icon and go to compatibility mode. Click it and choose to run it as an Administrator on Windows 95.

Step 4: Open the Spirit application. Again, make sure that you are on a non-jailbroken device on either 3.1.3 or 3.1.2. It tells you what device you have plugged in, shown here:

Step 5: Click on the button in the middle that says "jailbreak". There will be a funky picture that appears on your device, along with a status bar in the middle. Wait this process out, and, when the device boots, you will see Cydia on the second page.

Congratulations! You are now untethered!

FAQ:

Q: I am on Windows, and I keep getting this error message. It says c000005 (Thanks to [J]Man for that one). Spirit sucks, and I <3 geohot, not comex

A: You are not running as an administrator in compatibility mode, silly! Run it then, and see what happens.

Q: Do I have to restore in order to use Spirit?

A: Yes, you do. However, if you are not on a 3rd generation device, then you can stay on the jailbreak you are on. No need to use Spirit! If this is your first time jailbreaking, just go ahead and use it! No restore needed!

Q: Where can I find updates for Spirit?

A: Right here: twitter.com/comex or here: twitter.com/p0sixninja

Q: My antivirus claims Spirit is a trojan, what should I do?

A: Spirit does not contain any viruses. Simply turn off your antivirus when using Spirit and don't forget to turn it back on after you're done!

Q: What devices does Spirit work on?

A: Every device.

Q: Which Firmwares does Spirit work on?

A: Spirit works on both 3.1.2 and 3.1.3. However, if you are jailbroken on 3.1.2, you must become unjailbroken in order to use Spirit. Whether that is by restoring or updating, you can't jailbreak using Spirit if you are currently jailbroken.

Q: I'm using Cydia for the first time, and it says that Cydia is reorganizing and will restart. Is this a problem?

A: No, it's not a problem. Cydia will only reorganize once, after that it won't do it again.

Q: Is it necessary to back anything up before jailbreaking?

A: Is is not necessary, but it is EXTREMELY HIGHLY SUPER RECOMMENDED that you back up either your 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 SHSH. Since Spirit is a userland jailbreak, it is very easily patched out, and Apple probably will patch this very, very soon. In case you have to restore, bring it to Apple, accidentally update, whatever, you need your SHSH in order to downgrade once Apple releases the next update.

Error Code Fixes

Error: c000005

Solution: You are not running as an administrator in compatibility mode, silly! Run it then, and see what happens. EDIT: I read on the iPhone Wiki that this is fixed in the latest revision of Spirit. Can anyone confirm?

Error: c000035a

Solution: Move to desktop.

Error: Something to do with Spirit saying it needs iTunes 9 to run, however you have it installed. I have not had this problem myself, so any additional information would be great.

Solution: It seems redownloading Spirit has worked for some, while it has not for others. I am still waiting on confirmation from Avalicious to see what he did to fix his.
    EDIT: It seems that IcedShard has found a solution to this problem. He/She has said to turn off the compatibility mode on Windows, and just run it as stock.

Error: 0xE8000065

Solution: Reboot your PC. It seems that this error is only on Windows 7 64Bit. However, if you get this error on any other systems, put it in the comments so I can update this line of text.

Feel free to add any questions in the comments. Thanks!
  2. JOS

JOS Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Well done b-mac, you totally beat me to making this tutorial. This thread here has a whole lot of error codes that can fit well in the FAQ. The most frequent error in Windows is c000005, the solution is to set Spirit in compatibility mode. Good job once again, A in effort.
  3. b-mac 39

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Thank you, kind sir! I will be sure to add in the error code and update the FAQ.

4. iTz-zAcKoMg

iTz-zAcKoMg New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks! I'm considering changing my blackra1n jailbreak to Spirit so i'm Untethered!

Nice job!

5. b-mac 39

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    You're very welcome

. I would highly recommend going to Spirit, just for untethered. C'mon, it's one restore.
  6. JOS

JOS Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    b-mac, you are now in my sig. I'll post some questions here that have been answered that seem necessary for this thread.
  7. b-mac 39

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Alright! Sweet! I have been sigged!

But, anyway, yea, post some questions, and I'll be happy to add them to the OP.
  8. iTz-zAcKoMg

iTz-zAcKoMg New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    And yes, I'm not even worried about restoring. I have a computer with ALL the music I have on my iPod, although I only have like 460 songs.

I just don't wanna worry about letting my iPod die anymore. D: Haha. Thanks again. Once, I get home, I'll be sure to JB with Spirit! I'll let you guys know how it goes later!

9. b-mac 39

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    As do I, with all my jailbroken stuff backed up in Rock.
  10. JOS

JOS Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Make a section for error codes, here's one solved by Coca Cola
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Another error code fixed solved. I'm pretty much pulling this from the front page post comments.