[HOW TO]Jailbreak iTouch2G on OSX 10.5.6 (unibody MB)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by SSlide, Apr 7, 2009.

1. SSlide

SSlide New Member

First of all, I know tutorials like this have been written all over the web. But I've seen a lot of issues come up with the new unibody macbooks and macs running OSX 10.5.6. So I'll just go trough every exact step I did to jailbreak my 2G ipod touch running firmware 2.2.1. Using a unibody macbook 2.4ghz running OSX 10.5.6. I mostly based this on the tutorial on iClarified, but elaborate the problems with OSX 10.5.6.

What do you need:

rslite101
    Code:
    See attachments
    PwnageTool 2.2.5 for MAC
    file's called PwnageTool_2.2.5.dmg
    Create a folder Pwnage on your desktop and drag the pwnagetool icon to it after mounting the image.

these exact firmware update files:

iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a_Restore.ipsw
    iPod2,1_2.1.1_5F138_Restore.ipsw

First of all, look for them on your mac. If you're lucky both of em are in this folder:
    Code:
    /user/library/iTunes/iPod Software Update/
    the 2.2.1_5H11a will most likely (if not certainly) be in there, if not you should check your ipod's firmware before following this tutorial

Please Register or Log in to view images

If the 2.1.1_5F138 isn't there, just google this:
    Code:
    iPod2,1_2.1.1_5F138_Restore.ipsw appldndld
    the second result will show you official apple links to the firmware updates. Since I presume I'm not allowed to post links here I'll let you look for it yourself.
    if you've found em both, copy/move them to the Pwnage folder on your desk.

LibUSB
    This turned out to be a problem for me on my mac, I don't know why but the terminal method of installing libusb didn't work out here. So I started looking and found a pkg file of a beta version of libsub that supported OSX 10.5.
    Code:
    See attachments.
    24kpwn
    Code:
    See attachments
    extract LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.patch to your desktop.

Now for the patch to get your ipod into DFU mode.
    This is the tricky part, and is actually quite risky, so please read this whole section before doing anything.

First of all grab this:
    Code:
    Grab the Install_IOUSBFamily_kext_10_5_5.zip file in attachements
    First of all I'd like to give credit to Volkspost for making this script. It basically replaces two plugin kext files of 10.5.6 with the ones from 10.5.5, making DFU possible again.

Secondly I strongly suggest you download the OSX 10.5.6 combo update from apple. It's only to be sure you can fix it when something would go wrong.
    google:
    Code:
    OSX 10.5.6 combo update
    Why you think? Well if something goes wrong with the script, it'll most likely disable your keyboard & Touchpad. Which means you're unable to do anything once your mac is booted.

Now, extract the folder in the zip file to your DESKTOP (this is of essential importance!!)

After you've done that, open it and run the automator script. Don't do ANYTHING else while running the script, it will shut down all running applications and do it's thing. (you'll see the automator icon in your taskbar)
    It should ask for your admin pass after a while, type it in and again, let it do it's job and don't touch anything. If all goes well your mac will reboot automatically. (Do NOT reboot the mac yourself!)

Now here's the thing, this isn't how it happened for me. The automator icon showed up and dissapeared again after a while, yet it never asked for my pass or anything. So after a 10 minute wait I listened if I heard any harddisk activity, and it was dead silent. So because I wasn't going to take the risk of rebooting after this script failure I ran the combo update to be sure. It requires to reboot, which I did, and holy moly I was able to put my iPod in DFU mode. I have no idea how or why, but it did. So if you encounter what I encountered, just run that combo update before rebooting!

The actual proces

If you prefer images I suggest you check the iClarified tutorial.

Creating your custom firmware

Next steps.

Applying the untethered patch.

Open terminal (Applications, utitlities, terminal)
    In the Terminal window type
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop/Pwnage/iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a_Custom_Restore.ipsw/Firmware/all_flash/all_flash.n72ap.production
    Enter.

Then input
    Code:
    bspatch LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3 LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3 ~/Desktop/LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.patch
    Enter.

To confirm the patch was successful type
    Code:
    /usr/bin/openssl sha1 ~/Desktop/Pwnage/iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a_Custom_Restore.ipsw/Firmware/all_flash/all_flash.n72ap.production/LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3
    Enter.
    The SHA1 code should be
    Code:
    82734c7cdf945ba5421b83962aab3ab91e4fb23a
    Type in
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop/Pwnage/iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a_Custom_Restore.ipsw
    Enter.

Finally type
    Code:
    zip -r ../Untetheredipsw.ipsw ./
    Enter.
    This creates an untethered ipsw file.

Enter DFU mode

In the Terminal window type
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop/Pwnage
    Enter

Make sure your iTunes application is QUIT.
    Then type
    Code:
    ./rslite
    Enter

Your iPhone will be detected. Input
    Code:
    !iBSS211.dfu
    Enter.

Ignore it if iTunes pops up a message.

Once the program executes and exits type
    Code:
    ./rslite
    Enter

Your iPhone will be detected again. Input
    Code:
    #pwn211ibss.txt 
    Enter

Once the process has completed input
    Code:
    !iBSS221pwn.dfu
    Enter.

Now we can go to iTunes and restore to our custom firmware.
    Hold down the option key(ctrl) and press the Restore button.

Thats It! You now have an untethered 2G iPod Touch!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Attached Files:

2. pyroxp7

pyroxp7 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    That automator script for Leopard 10.5.5 actually caused many people to have problems (USB ports not working - mouse + keyboard not working). Plus other people who did still didn't have success. It could work for some people, but I wouldn't do it.
  3. NeSEncHo

NeSEncHo Active Member