How to Jailbreak iPod Touch 2g 3.0 Firmware-Windows

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by BILLAY, Jun 20, 2009.

1. BILLAY

BILLAY New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    YOU MUST BE RUNNING 3.0 FIRMWARE PRIOR TO RUNNING THE redsn0w JAILBREAK. YOU MUST ALSO BE ON iTUNES 8.2 IN ORDER FOR 3.0 TO WORK.
    NO SUPPORT WHEN COMING FROM 2.2.1. FULL RESTORE TO 3.0 BEFORE ATTEMPTING.

Mods if you find this reliable, and useful, please sticky it.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Courtesy Of "dagr8est" for this youtube video of how to Jailbreak ipt2g 3.0 Firmware on Windows XP. Clicky here!

1. Download the latest redsn0w from here.

2. Extract the files and place them on your Desktop.

3. Locate your IPSW file for 3.0 that you got from iTunes.
    Located in C:\Users\*USERNAME8\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

4. Right-click the Restore file and select Copy.

5. Paste the Restore file anywhere on your desktop, or in the Redsn0w folder.

6. Put your iPod into DFU mode. If iTunes pops up saying that it found an iPod in Restore mode, just exit it out. Make sure your iPod is plugged in, and your volume is turned up. To enter DFU mode, hold the Lock and Home button until your iPod turns off, keep holding. After your iPod has been off for 3 seconds, release the Lock button. If your iPod starts to boot, just try again. Keep holding the Home button until you hear that Windows has detected a USB device, you should hear the little noise. Again, if iTunes loads up and says iPod detected in Recovery Mode, just exit it out.

7. Open up your redsn0w folder, you'll see two folders. One called redsn0w-win_0.7.1. Open that folder up. Read all the notepad files.

8. Right-click on the redsn0w.exe file, and open "Properties", locate the Compatibility Tab, and go to that. Make sure "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" is checked, and Windows XP (Service Pack 2) is chosen from the list. If you're running Windows XP, no Compatibility changes will be necessary.

9. Click Apply, and then OK out of the Properties box.

10. If on Windows Vista, right click and Run as Administrator. Windows XP, make sure you're on an Admin account, double click redsn0w.exe.

11. When redsn0w loads up you should see a "Browse" button. Click that and locate the firmware I told you to Paste on Step 5. It should "Process the firmware" and then give you "IPSW successfully identified."

12. Click Next, If you want Cydia, which I bet most, if not all of you do, leave it checked. Click Next, then Next if your iPod is already in DFU mode, if not do that now. Once your iPod is detected it should move onto the next step, and it should do it's thing.

13. Don't touch anything until you see the lockscreen, no user input is needed after step 12.

P.S. If it ever freezes or shuts down. Just unplug, reset (hold both buttons), and try again.

This was my first EVER tutorial please don't flame, I hope I can help people with the process.

64-BIT USERS.
    If you're still having problems, use this website for help with installing LibUSB on 64-bit Operating Systems.
  2. Hank4018

Hank4018 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    can anyone confirm this?
  3. BILLAY

BILLAY New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It's been released, there are some other tutorials starting to float around. Check blog.iphone-dev.org, they updated redsn0w to work with 3.0 and iPod Touch 2g.
  4. Hank4018

Hank4018 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    ok sorry, i didnt know there was an official release for it, i just woke up

5. BILLAY

BILLAY New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No problem, I woke up a couple hours ago to find out that it was released, I jailbroke mine and created a tutorial.

Hope I can help the community.
  6. Hank4018

Hank4018 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    what if i cant find windows xp service pack 2 said so on #8?

even though i do have windows xp, i cant find it

should i just run redsnow?
  7. BILLAY

BILLAY New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    All your programs are already running in Windows XP SP2 mode. Don't worry about that though, I'll go change that in my post.
  8. Hank4018

Hank4018 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    ok thanks, also how long does it take to process the firmware?

...and nevermind, its done lol
  9. BILLAY

BILLAY New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, it's take a mere 5 seconds? lmao.
  10. Hank4018

Hank4018 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    my ipod is successfully jailbroken, thank you