How to Jailbreak iPod Touch 2g 3.0 Firmware-Mac

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by H4CK!NT0SH, Aug 16, 2009.

1. H4CK!NT0SH

H4CK!NT0SH Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm making this tutorial because I see that one sticky is for Windows and I believe there should be a tutorial for Mac. So here we go...

Download redsn0w-mac-0.8 here.

Please Register or Log in to view images

When you open up Redsn0w, make sure you follow the instructions by reading all accompanying text files in the folder that the application itself came in.

Next, you browse for your 3.0 firmware. In the picture below, I'm browsing for my iPod touch 2g IPSW.

After that, Redsn0w will attempt to identify your IPSW to make sure it is valid. You MUST be running the 3.0 firmware on your device in order to jailbreak the device. You must also select the firmware that you installed on your device with Redsn0w.

Next, Redsn0w will download the appropriate files that it needs in order to create the ramdisk.

Next, Redsn0w will ask what you want to install. I strongly recommend not installing Icy as it can cause problems with Cydia.

Next, Redsn0w will tell you to make sure your device is plugged in and that it is completely shut off, (not sleep mode.)

Now Redsn0w will give you the instructions as to how to put your device into DFU mode. I recommend just putting it into DFU mode BEFORE it starts the teaching process if you already know how.

Once your device is in DFU mode, Redsn0w will start to jailbreak your device. Remember, if Redsn0w appears to be stuck on "Waiting for Reboot," simply unplug then replug your device to the USB.

Your screen will say "Downloading Jailbreak Data..." and eventually a spinning progress indicator will show up at the bottom and you must wait for the Quickpwn pineapple to appear along with a progress bar at the bottom. The first thing will say "Flashing the NOR."

Hope this helped. Also, when in doubt, start the Redsn0w process over again. That's your best solution to jailbreaking process problems, trust me.
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Useful tutorial. Stuck
  3. FlyboT

FlyboT Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This works on the original iPod touch as well. Dunno why it gets stuck on that second waiting for reboot screen, but oh well.
    Jailbreaking on 2.2.1 was definitely easier (took me 4 or 5 tries with 3.0) but much love to the dev-team for making it as easy as it is.

And good tutorial...
  4. FailSafeIsntSafe

FailSafeIsntSafe New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thank you! I needed help on that part with the "waiting for reboot." Life saver

5. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nice tut.
  6. iAnas

iAnas Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Thanks Dude
  7. dead_evangel

dead_evangel New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It worked for me... just one try was needed

thank you dude....
  8. MoNoXId3

MoNoXId3 Member

thanks! mine was getting stuck on waiting for reboot
  9. TelkDie

TelkDie New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have read over the thread about attempting to jailbreak 2gen ipod with firmware 3.1 and I keep getting stuck when the "Downloading Jailbreak data..." screen with the picture of the HDD and the circulating icon. The iPod continues on the screen for a good 5-10min and then goes to the screen with the picture of the USB ipod connection to iTunes. and then iTunes tells me I need to restore or initiate my iPod.

Any thoughts?
  10. InternetKING

InternetKING New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ok you help me i help you, to fix it on reboot on ipod 2g 2.2.1 you wait till it gets to the step waiting for reboot and you unplug it and plug it back in and it should work fine.my problem i tried with so many jailbrakes that this one got the farthest. i'm stuck on the part where it finishes succesfully and it has the connect to itunes screen. i'm going to try jailbreaking it again and if it doesnt work im going to jailbreak it with itunes.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    thanks for the thought will try to jailbreak 3.1 on a 2g ipod touch.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    thanks for the thought will try to jailbreak 3.1 on a 2g ipod touch.