[How To] Jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 on iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch with Absinthe 2.0

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Tkf1, May 25, 2012.

1. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    [​IMG]

Absinthe 2.0 supports the following devices running iOS 5.1.1:
    • iPad - 1st Generation, 2nd Generation and 3rd Generation.
    • iPhone - 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s.
    • iPod Touch - 3rd Generation and 4th Generation.
    If you are running an iOS 5.1.1 tethered jailbreak follow the steps at the bottom.

FAQ:
    • What is the purpose of jailbreaking? Jailbreaking allows you to install third-party applications, tweaks, mods, themes, useful utilities, and other content (called "packages") from Cydia, the jailbreak equivalent of theApp Store on iOS. Jailbreaking essentially allows for you to further customize and enhance your iOS device beyond the limits that Apple imposes.
    • What is the legal status of jailbreaking? Jailbreaking is officially declared as legal in the United States, based on an exemption made to the U.S. Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) allowing for modifications of this nature. Nevertheless, by jailbreaking your iOS device you are violating the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) with Apple, which means that your device's warranty will be void. By restoring your device back to factory default settings using iTunes, however, all traces of jailbreaking will be removed and your warranty will essentially be valid again.
    • Do I need to be running a freshly installed version of iOS 5.1.1 to jailbreak? Will my content be erased? You do not need to be running a newly installed copy of iOS 5.1.1, but it is recommended. Your device's media and settings will not be affected or removed by the jailbreaking process. Backing up your content to iTunes or iCloud, however, is still recommended as a precautionary measure.
    Download the latest version of Absinthe 2.0 for your operating system.
    Follow the instructions on the bottom to run Absinthe 2.0 on Mac OS Mountain Lion (10.8).

The Chronic Dev team recommends that you back up your device before using the jailbreak.
    To do this right click on the device name and select 'Back Up' as seen below.

[​IMG]
    1. Run Absinthe 2.0.

Windows: Extract, and right click on the absinthe-win-2.0.1.exe icon and select Run as Administrator. A terminal window will open, once finished a new folder will be created on your desktop called absinthe-win-2.0 run Absinthe 2.0 as Administrator
    Mac: Double click to .DMG to extract and launch Absinthe 2.0 app.

2. Connect your device to your computer running Absinthe, and ensure that Absinthe detects the exact device that you connected. The device must be on and does not need to be in DFU mode.

3. Click 'Jailbreak'. Do not unplug the device!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    4. Absinthe will then perform the jailbreak. You will see your device "performing a restore" this is normal. In the Abinsthe window you'll see 'Sending initial jailbreak data', 'Sending final jailbreak data' 'Waiting for reboot', 'Waiting for process to complete' be patient.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    5. Once complete, you should receive an alert on Absinthe telling you that the jailbreak is complete, and you should see the Cydia app icon on your home screen. It is now safe to unplug your device.

[​IMG]

6. Open Cydia, and it will prepare for first use and respiring.

[​IMG]

7. You're done! Your iOS device is running iOS 5.1.1 and is now jailbroken with an untethered jailbreak!

If you receive this error "Error establishing a database connection", go to the Settings > General > Network then turn VPN on. This will give a configuration error, but after around a minute the device will reboot and Cydia will now be on your home screen.

If you are running an iOS 5.1.1 tethered jailbreak you’ll simply want to launch Cydia and search for and install the “Rocky Racoon 5.1.1 Untether” package. Then, reboot your device and you will have an untethered jailbreak without needing to restore or lose any content.

If you are running Mac OS 10.8 and would like to use Absinthe 2.0:

1. Double click the Absinthe-mac-2.0.1.dmg file and it will extract the Absinthe 2.0 files.
    2. Right click on Absinthe and select 'Show Package contents.'
    3. Go to Contests/MacOS.
    4. You will see Absinthe-10.6 right click it and select 'Open With' and select 'Terminal'.
    5. Run the steps above to jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 untethered.
    Naveen121 likes this.
  2. Badd_Blood

Badd_Blood Well-Known Member

So simple a guide isn't even needed :cool:
    Apple951 likes this.
  3. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    You'd be surprised.
  4. pineapple juice

pineapple juice Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 7
    When I open absinthe, I get a command window that lists iOS devices on and on forever.

EDIT: Nvm, got it.
  5. Badd_Blood

Badd_Blood Well-Known Member

It's just extracting
  6. chickenmatt5

chickenmatt5 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    When Absinthe got to the "Your device will appear to be restoring" step, my iPhone didn't do anything different: no "appearing to restore from a backup." Now Absinthe is sitting on "Waiting for a reboot - not done yet" and I don't really think it's going to reboot. Do I try Absinthe again?
  7. Vegeta

Vegeta Banned

necessary tutorial? :p
  8. ValleyForge

ValleyForge Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    You'd be surprised.
  9. JiPod Touch 4G

JiPod Touch 4G Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I get "Waiting for Reboot - not done yet, don't unplug your device yet!". So i didn't unplug my device. for 5 hours. and the message is still there -.-
  10. chickenmatt5

chickenmatt5 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Same thing happened to me. Do a manual reboot. Did you update to iOS 5.1.1 or restore to it?