iOS 4.0 [HOW TO] Jailbreak any iOS Device running any firmware

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by tanktan38, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tanktan38

tanktan38 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    How to jailbreak
    any iOS device running any firmware
    By TankTan38

Jailbreak 3.1.3 with Spirit!
    Jailbreak 4.0 with JailbreakMe.com or redsn0w!
    Jailbreak EVERYTHING* with my guide!

Here is my step by step guide to jailbreak any iPhone/iPod touch/iPad, regardless of the firmware. This guide started as a guide that was supposed to help people make the transition from blackra1n to Spirit, but it ended up growing into a How to jailbreak everything guide. Once 4.0 came out, it got harder and harder for me to update it, especially when iH8sn0w released his tool on how to jailbreak 4.0 on MC devices with 3.1.2 SHSH blobs backed up. But, after JailbreakMe.com was re-released, I decided to completely rewrite the guide. Not from scratch, but I updated the old sections to make it easier to follow, and easier for me to update.

My goal here is to help you get from being on any firmware and jailbroken or not, to your devices latest available firmware, jailbroken. Most jailbreaking tutorials just tell you how to jailbreak. This tutorial, however tells you what you need to do BEFORE you jailbreak (like restore, update, backup apps, save your SHSH blobs, etc.), gives you choices of what to use to jailbreak (right now, it's redsn0w and jailbreakme.com), what to do after the jailbreak (restore your apps, backup your SHSH blobs again, etc.), and even what to do in the future (like if Apple releases a new firmware).

In tutorials that just tell you how to jailbreak, you may get confused. For example, if someone was jailbroken tethered with, say blackra1n on 3.1.2, and they wanted to be untethered with Spirit on the same firmware. They would find a guide on how to jailbreak with Spirit, and they would do it. The problem with that is, the guide might not have told them that if you were already jailbroken with blackra1n, that they needed to restore. And if it did, it certainly didn't go as in depth as my guide does. When they probably just would have said "Restore!", my guide tells you what you need to do before you restore, like backup your SHSH blobs and sync with iTunes. As an added bonus, my guide even tells you how to restore (and update, for that matter).

Okay, enough of my ranting already, lol. I hope you enjoy my guide.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage done to you device. If your devices gets messed up, please don't blame me, any jailbreak developer, or any other member of this site. Just post a thread about your problem. Believe me, you can ALWAYS fix an iOS device, unless the hardware is damaged, which won't happen by following this guide. Thank you.

Notice: The guide is being edited for greenpois0n as we speak. Expect the guide to be updated IMMEDIATELY after release.

Start here: Find your Device!

First, you need to figure out what device you have, what bootrom version you have, what firmware version you are running, and if you are already jailbroken or not.

Original iPhone

Already Jailbroken:
    -3.1.2 and lower: Do parts Aa, Bb (restoring to 3.1.3), Cb, D, and E only.

Not Jailbroken:
    -3.1.2 and lower: Do parts Ab, Ba (updating to 3.1.3), Cb, D, and E only.

-3.1.3: Do parts Cb, D, and E only.

iPhone 3G & iPhone 3GS Early MB Model

Already Jailbroken:
    -4.0.2 and lower: Do parts Aa, Bb (restoring to 4.1), Cb, D, and E only.

Not Jailbroken:
    -4.0.2 and lower: Do parts Ab, Ba (updating to 4.1), Cb, D, and E only.

-4.1: Do parts Cb, D, and E only.

iPhone 3GS Late MC Model

Already Jailbroken:
    Wait for the new Greenpois0n/SHAtter jailbreak to upgrade.

Not Jailbroken:
    -4.0.1 and lower: Do parts Ca, D, and E only.

-4.0.2 - 4.1: Currently unjailbroken.

iPhone 4

Already Jailbroken:

Not Jailbroken:
    -4.0 - 4.0.1: Do parts Ca, D, and E only.

iPod touch 1st generation

Already Jailbroken:
    -3.1.2 and lower: Do parts Aa, Bb (restoring to 3.1.3), Cb, D, and E only.

Not Jailbroken:
    -3.1.2 and lower: Do parts Ab, Ba (updating to 3.1.3), Cb, D, and E only.

-3.1.3: Do parts Cb, D, and E only.

iPod touch 2nd generation Early MB Models

Already Jailbroken:
    -3.1.3 and lower: Do parts Aa, Bb (restoring to 4.1), Cb, D, and E only.

Not Jailbroken:
    -4.0.2 and lower: Do parts Ab, Ba (updating to 4.1), Cb, D, and E only.

-4.1: Do parts Cb, D, and E only.

iPod touch 4th gen, 3rd gen & 2nd gen Late MC Models

Already Jailbroken:

Not Jailbroken:
    -4.0.1 or lower: Do parts Ca, D, and E only.

iPad 1st Generation

Already Jailbroken:

Not Jailbroken:
    -3.2 - 3.2.1: Do parts Ca, D, and E only.

-3.2.2 - 4.2: Currently unjailbroken.

Apple TV 2nd Generation
    Wait for the new Greenpois0n/SHAtter jailbreak.

Part Aa: Pre-Update/Restore To-do List for Already Jailbroken Devices

-So the restore process doesn't take forever, delete some of those apps you don't use much. Not only is that making the restore time shorter, but you'll free up space and you'll be a bit more organized!

-From my experiences, you don't really have to worry about losing app data. But, just in case, I did email myself my notes. But, after restoring, everything (including my notes) were still there. Just make sure you sync with iTunes, explained in the following bullet.

-Sync with iTunes one last time to make sure your device is backed up. We wouldn't want to lose any data, would we?

-Backup your jailbroken apps with Rock or AptBackup so you don't have to find and install all of them again. Rock does this automatically whenever you install a new app. But, if you want to back them up manually, just go to the "Manage" tab, and click settings. If you don't use Rock, you can use AptBackup available free in Cydia.

Okay, now we're ready to restore. If I forgot anything, please tell me!

Part Ab: Pre-Update/Restore To-do List for Non-Jailbroken Devices

-So the restore process doesn't take three years, delete some of those apps you don't use much. Not only is that making the restore time shorter, but you'll free up space and you'll be a bit more organized!

-From my experiences, you don't really have to worry about losing app data. But, just in case, I did email myself my notes. But, after restoring, everything (including my notes) were still there. Just make sure you sync with iTunes, explained in the next bullet below.

-Sync with iTunes one last time to make sure your device is backed up. We wouldn't want to lose any data, would we?

Okay, now we're ready to restore. If I forgot anything, please tell me!

Part Ba: Updating your Firmware

Step 0: Make sure you update iTunes to at least 9.2.

Step 1: Connect your iDevice to the computer (using the USB cord provided by Apple

Please Register or Log in to view images

) and open up iTunes.

Step 2: Now, click the name of your iDevice in the little devices list.

Step 3: You should now see your iDevice's page. Click here for an example.

Step 4: Okay now for the good stuff. Click the "Update" button. If you have already downloaded the firwmare you will be updating to, shift+click the update button and find the firmware.

Step 5: If iTunes asks you to backup your iPod, say yes!

Step 6: Once you're done, sync your iPod to the latest backup, and you can now use your iPod again. Just for fun, I was playing around with my iPod in its "non-jailbroken" form. Good times, good times.

Whew! Time to jailbreak!

Part Bb: Restoring your Device

Step 0: Make sure you update iTunes to at least 9.2.

Step 1: Connect your iDevice to the computer (using the USB cord provided by Apple

) and open up iTunes.

Step 2: Now, click the name of your iDevice in the little devices list.

Step 3: You should now see your iDevice's page. Click here for an example.

Step 4: Okay now for the good stuff. Click the "Restore" button.

Step 5: If iTunes asks you to backup your iPod, say yes!

Step 6: Once you're done, you can now use your iPod again. Just for fun, I was playing around with my iPod in its "non-jailbroken" form. Good times, good times.

Whew! Time to jailbreak!

Part Ca: How to Jailbreak with JailbreakMe.com

This is a very cool way to jailbreak! This website, originally from the 1.x days, has been updated by Comex and the iPhone Dev-Team to work with 4.0!

Step 0: Make sure you are not jailbroken before continuing.

Step 1: Open up Safari on your iDevice, and go to JailbreakMe.com.

Step 2: Slide to Jailbreak, just like you would if you were unlocking your device.

Step 3: A little bubble will pop up, telling you that it is downloading. Once this is complete, it will tell you to sit tight, because it's jailbreaking your device. Once this is complete, go back to your homescreen and you will find your friend Cydia!

If you have any problems, like once you slide to jailbreak, it does nothing but show a purple picture, or when it starts downloading, it says server timed out, first try going to JailbreakMe.ModMyi.com instead of JailbreakMe.com. If this fails, go to Settings>Safari, then clear your history, cache, and cookies, then reboot your device. Then try JailbreakMe.com or JailbreakMe.ModMyi.com again. If it fails, the server is probably high stress, so you might want to wait a few hours before trying again.

Part Cb: How to Jailbreak your MB model Device

Okay, it's time to jailbreak. But first, you have to choose a tool to jailbreak with, since you have a device vulnerable to 24kpwn, a bootrom exploit used by redsn0w. I would recommend redsn0w, because it is more stable than JailbreakMe.com. But, if you don't have access to a computer, or you don't want to download the firmware to use with redsn0w, you can use JailbreakMe.com.

NOTE: If you are trying to jailbreak 4.0.2 or 4.1, you will need to use redsn0w, unless you downgrade to 4.0 or 4.0.1.

Now, if you would like to use redsn0w, follow this part of the guide. If you would like to use JailbreakMe.com, find Part Ca, and once you are finished, continue with whatever part a told you to go to next at the beginning of the guide.

Okay! Now that we have that out of the way, we can finally jailbreak! If you are reading this, you will be jailbreaking with redsn0w right? If not, go up to part CA right now like I told you in the last paragraph. Ok, here's how you jailbreak with redsn0w:

Step -1: Download Redsn0w for your OS using one of the links in this thread or download it at the official wiki here, and download the iOS you need for your device, unless you already have it. Use Google to find it. Also, if you are on a MB model device, and you need to jailbreak 4.0.2, make sure you download the 4.0 firmware for our device and point redsn0w to that instead.

Step 0: Connect your iDevice and open RedSn0w.

Step 1: When RedSn0w asks for an ipsw, open the firmware we downloaded early.

Step 2: Check some of the things you want, like Verboose boot or multitasking for 2nd gen devices.

Step 3: Now, let RedSn0w do its thing and you will have yourself a jailbreak! Yay!

If you didn't understand my guide, here are two other guides for RedSn0w Beta:
    winner00's guide
    bradabab's guide

Part D: Post-Jailbreak To-do list

Welp, you're done. You could run off into the wilderness and scream "Woohoo! I'm jailbroken! Suck it, Apple!", but there's a few things left.

-If you haven't already, backup your SHSH blobs! To do this, follow Extra A.

-If you were jailbroken before, restore your jailbroken apps fromAptBackup. If you are now on 4.x, I recommend you not just restore from the backup. You may screw up your device, and have to restore. You need to make sure that the JB apps are compatible with 4.x with this. Make sure you uncheck the apps that aren't compatible before you restore from a backup. But, if you would like, you could do what I did and use the backup as a list of what you had before, then manually install anything that you want after checking to make sure it works with iOS 4.

-If you're missing that app you deleted earlier, you can restore it if you'd like. Just connect your iPod to iTunes, go to its device page, and click on the "Applications" tab. Then scroll down the list and look for the app you deleted. It should be unchecked. All you have to do is recheck it and sync your iPod.

-If you (for some odd reason) lost any of your data (like your notes), go over to your email and copy and paste them back!

-If you have an iPhone and you would like to unlock it, make sure the repo "repo666.ultrasn0w.com" is added, then install ultrasn0w. Make sure you be careful when updating your firmware, and you especially need to back up you SHSH blobs for firmwares that the unlock works on.

Part E: The Future

-If in the future, iTunes says "There is an iPod software update avaliable", check "Do not show this again" and click no unless you want to lose your jailbreak.

-If you do happen to upgrade to 4.0 or whatever you should be able to downgrade back to 3.1.3 IF and ONLY IF you weren't stupid enough to not back up your SHSH blobs. Follow Extra B if you ever need to restore to a firmware you saved your blobs for.

-Whenever you upgrade your device to a new firmware, make sure you save you SHSH blobs with Extra A, even if you're not jailbroken.

-Also, don't update iTunes unless the iPhone Dev Team, Geohot (yea.... no.), or a reputable member of this website gives the "Go ahead!". You never know, Apple may try to be sneaky and block jailbreaks using iTunes.

-One more thing, the iPhone Dev-Team has informed the community about a security hole in iOS that can be used to inject malicious code via a PDF file. This is also the exploit used in JailbreakMe.com. To help prevent this from happening, install "PDF Loading Warner" from Cydia or Rock. This will inform you if a PDF file is trying to open via a popup message. Note, this exploit can be used to inject malicious code no matter the status of the device, e.g. Jailbroken or non-jailbroken; redsn0w or jailbreakme.com, so it is recommended that this is installed on any jailbroken device.

Okay, that's it for real. Thanks for following my guide! Tell all of your friends!

Extra A: How to save you SHSH blobs

Do you want to save your SHSH blobs? Well, you have come to the right place! Here, I will be showing you two methods of how to save your blobs. Read on to choose which method to use.

The first method, and my personal favorite, is TinyUmbrella. It combines The Firmware Umbrella and TinyTSS, allowing it to not only save your blobs, but host them too. This is the best way to go. Period. Why? It works jailbroken or not, and it saves your blobs in two places: Cydia and your computer.

The second method would be to save using Cydia. I don't recommend this, unless you have to. It is probably a bit easier the TinyUmbrella, but not by much. The only reason you should use Cydia is if the firmware signing window is about to close and you don't have access to a computer to use TinyUmbrella. I'm not saying Cydia is that bad, but it's nice to have a local copy of your blobs incase Cydia is bombarded with requests.

So, once you have chosen your method, find it below, and begin!

Method 1: TinyUmbrella

Step 0: Download TinyUmbrella for Windows, OSX, or Linux.

Step 1: Open the program that was included in the download.

Step 2: Connect the iOS device you want to save the SHSH blobs of.

Step 3: In the top, left hand corner, click "Save My SHSH", and let it do its thing.

Congrats! Now you have saved your SHSH blobs, and you will be able to restore to the firmware you are on forever!

Method 2: Cydia

Step 1: Open Cydia on your iOS device.

Step 2: Tap "Make my Life Easier!", and you're done!

Congrats! Now you have saved your SHSH blobs, and you will be able to restore to the firmware you are on forever!

Extra B: Restoring to a firmware that you saved SHSH blobs for

Did you accidentally upgrade again? Did you save you SHSH blobs? If you said yes to those questions, you are eligible for a downgrade!

Anyways, I won't be writing this part of the guide myself until I actually have to use it. So, I found a great guide on how to do this, but it uses TinyTSS instead on TinyUmbrella, which is okay, but that's what I wrote about in Extra A. So, if someone would do a tutorial on TinyUmbrella, it would be appreciated. The link to it is below.

Downgrade from iOS4 to 3.1.* (requires SHSH blobs) by reddevilmaestro

Thanks for reading my guide, I hope you liked it. Please don't post this guide on any other site; just link it.

*Sorry, not 4.0.2, nor 4.1 on MC devices.

Sites allowed to serve this guide directly:
    http://www.ifans.com
    http://www.dsifanboy.com
    http://www.modmyi.com
  2. Lux2GS

Lux2GS Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Wow, a lot of work, but we have enough Tutorials about Jailbreaking...
  3. tanktan38

tanktan38 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I rewrote my old guide that resided in the iPhone 3.1 JB section. This is probably the most comprehensive guide, anyway.

EDIT: And, this is only the second JBme.com guide and the first guide to get you from jailbroken to jailbroken with the same JB apps, and probably the first guide to support every iOS device and to offer a choice between redsn0w and jbme.com.
  4. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I hate Spirit! Grrrr.... Nice rewrite.
  5. tanktan38

tanktan38 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Why? and Thanks!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Oops... forgot to do Extra A. I'm on it!
    Done, but I didn't do Extra B yet.
  6. tanktan38

tanktan38 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Stickied by Meikura, (thanks) and updated Part E with information about the PDF exploits, and PDF Loading Warner.
  7. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

This is the best tutorial I've seen thanks.
  8. tanktan38

tanktan38 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You're welcome.

Added a little statement at the beginning telling why my guide is DA BEST! lol jk

9. Notorious97

Notorious97 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks for that guide, it spells it out exactly what to do and what not to do! im 3.1.3 JB with Spirit so i think il stick with what i have for time being.

Do you mind if i post a link to this thread (not copy and paste your post!) to a forum in Ireland for them to follow? I will only link this website and thread, if you prefer i dont just say!
  10. tanktan38

tanktan38 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks, and that's okay. I just don't want people plagiarizing my work. But yes, spread the word! I think my guide is a little underrated just because it doesn't have "JailbreakMe.com" in the title lol.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.