How to Install Wikipedia on Your iPhone or iPod touch - Complete Guide

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by aLLeYRaT, Feb 17, 2008.

1. aLLeYRaT

aLLeYRaT New Member

Requirements:
    Jailbroken iPhone or iPod touch on firmware 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 (1.1.3 seems to unstable at the moment, especially because of Total Commander problems through the latest ZiPhone jailbreak) with at least 2.3 GB of free space on it

Total Commander (http://[PIRACY.rs].com/files/92663222/tcmd702a.zip)

T-PoT iPhone/iPod touch plugin (http://[PIRACY.rs].com/files/92662388/T-PoT.1.1.zip)

Wikipedia Application (http://collison.ie/wikipedia-iphone/Wikipedia.zip)

Wikipedia dump (******* - http://[PIRACY.tb].org/tor/4009663 [PIRACY.rs] Files - http://touchhax.com/wikipedia.html Password for extraction is: touchhax)

Step 1 - Get Total Commander Up and Running
    Extract the Total Commander archive and run its executable file. Extract the T-PoT .wfx file to a directory on your system and remember where you put it. Run Total Commander and navigate to "Configuration/Options" in the file menu. Navigate to "Plugins" and click the "WFX" button. Add the .wfx file from the T-PoT archive that you unzipped. After you have finished adding it, close Total Commander and then load it again to complete the installation. Connect your iPhone/iPod Touch to your computer through the USB cable. Find the drop-done menu on Total Commander on the right-hand side that has [-c-]. Select "Network Neighborhood" [--] from this menu. You should now see T-PoT as one of the options, select it. You should now have complete access to the file system on your iPhone/iPod touch. Now you can drag and drop files from the left-hand side (your computer) to the right-hand side (your iPhone/iPod Touch). This is much faster than the traditional method of using SSH to transfer files to your device over WiFi because it through USB and will come in handy when transferring the very large Wikipedia dump file to your device.

Step 2 - Install the Wikipedia Application
    After extracting the Wikipedia Application, transfer it to the /Applications on your device through Total Commander or SSH. Be sure to set permissions on the entire directory to 755.

Step 3 - Install the Wikipedia dump
    Go to "Settings" on your iPhone/iPod Touch, then "General, then "Auto-Lock" and set it to "Never" to ensure that your device does not fall asleep during the transfer. Using Total Commander, place the "wp" folder from the Wikipedia dump archive into the /var/root directory on your device. This may take a little bit because of the folder's sheer size. If it looks like Total Commander is locked up, it isn't. Just let Total Commander do its thing and the transfer will successful complete assuming you have enough free space on your device. After the transfer is complete, set the permissions on the "wp" folder to 755 as well.

Step 4 - Reboot Your Device
    Reboot your device and when it comes back on, you should see an icon for the Wikipedia application! Open it then type in a term to search on and display the article.

If the application crashes when you try to run it, be sure to reset permissions on the files (both the application and the "wp" folder) to 755 by changing them to some arbitrary value (say 666) then changing them BACK to 755. Reboot your device. and the problem should be fixed.
  2. 16gbofmagic.

16gbofmagic. New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thats awesome. Looks like getting the 32gb was a good choice (Minus the username that I have to change now... Haha)
  3. kellygeorge

kellygeorge New Member

i installed this just the other day. the first time i tried to upload the dump via ssh it said it would take over 2 hrs. i left it and when i came back it had dropped the connection after uploading 1 gig. the second time i plugged my imac into the router via ethernet, then turned on my internet sharing. i connected my ipod to the network being broadcast from the imac, and the dump upload was much faster, clocking in at a little less than an hour. i highly recommend this procedure:

IF YOU WANT THE UPLOAD TO GO FASTER
    1. connect your desktop/laptop to the network via direct ethernet connection
    2. in system prefrences/sharing, turn internet sharing ON
    3. connect your ipod to the network being shared by your desktop/laptop
    4. ssh into your ipod, and upload the dump.
  4. aLLeYRaT

aLLeYRaT New Member

Thanks for that information kellygeorge, although USB transfer through Total Commander is still most likely faster.
  5. leereeo

leereeo New Member

ey.. i cant access the site for the [PIRACY.rs] links. it says "forbidden".
    i cud access it yesterday and was able to download up to 4 files but now i cant.
    what seems to be the problem?

any other site to download the wikipedia dump file?

HELP PLS!!

thanks
  6. theballonman

theballonman New Member

i cant access the site for the [PIRACY.rs] links. it says "forbidden". could u pm me the links or post them here ty
  7. badmasketa

badmasketa New Member

Device:
    iPod touch