How to install applications without using wifi?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by jansuke, Nov 30, 2008.

1. jansuke

jansuke New Member

Im having a hard time since im new to this stuffs, ive tried searching around the forum and founded out that i can only install applications using cyndia (which uses wifi)

Tried searching for more info and ive seen a thread for "Total Commander" and "Iphonebrowser"... i dont have any clue on how to install applications using these stuffs...

Can someone help me?

i just recently JB my ipodtouch (1st gen 8gig)

PS: i dont have wifi
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

If you don't have WiFi, I can only suggest using iTunes and the App Store... unless you can download the files onto your computer for those various programs, then use Total Commander to transfer them via USB onto the iPod and then setting permissions so those programs will run.
  3. jansuke

jansuke New Member

Can you please elaborate those steps further???

I can transfer files on my ipod using Total Commander but what type of files should i put it in and where???

Ah..Moemory 1.0.1.ipa <- should i find files like this in the internet? then put it in the directory where my ipod places its games?

Hmm... can you please give me some links where i can read topics regarding this?
  4. bimple

bimple New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    you can also use itunnel

1) Plug in your iPod/iPhone and start iTunes
    2) start itunnel
    3) start winscp amd press new
    4) in winscp enter the host name of 127.0.0.1, port 22
    5) in winscp enter the username of root, password alpine
    6) in winscp set the file protocol (sftp) and save
    7) connect to 127.0.0.1 with winscp using the info you saved

here is a link to itunnel without the full suite
    (no need to install)
  5. jansuke

jansuke New Member

Does that make my ipod touch able to surf the web when plugged in computer??? or its just a way to transfer file inside the touch using winscp???

Unfortunately my internet provider always has a downloading file in [PIRACY.mu] (hence i cant use it until midnight)
  6. bimple

bimple New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It's another way to install legally purchased or free applications or games or modify files without having to go through wifi. Instead you connect through your usb cable.
  7. jansuke

jansuke New Member

I really didnt get that...

Is it like total commander???.... AHHH my mind is messed up...

Ok my analysis tells me that it is like total commander...

Now for the question... What kind of files do i transfer to my ipod touch so i can install an application and where??
  8. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    if youre talking about a app store application, just download through itunes and then sync your iphod. if youre wanting a jailbreak application, then you can use total commander or iphone tunnel or whatever to ssh into your iphod and put the app in your applications folder.
  9. bimple

bimple New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    well, do a search around the net for files for jailbroken devices, you can find cydia repos on the internet, and a lot of them have listings of files available, and some have them available for download. If you find the name of the file you want to download there are a lot of sites run by the author's of apps that are on cydia where you can download the files and upload them yourself via itunnel. ALso, you can go to any public spot that has wifi, like a starbucks or most libraries or some other restaurants and connect from there if you don't have wifi at home.
  10. jansuke

jansuke New Member

Thx... Thats the answer ive been waiting for...

So its cydia repo the type of file im going to find... Thx you guys...

Im going to search now... Well if you got site that has repos can you PM or post it in here???

and THX again hehe