HOW-TO: Install a Darthpod with no/minimal scratches to your bezel

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by bob vansteel, Aug 3, 2008.

1. bob vansteel

bob vansteel Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    LOL this is actually a lot simpler task than many of you may think. I repair my friends old ipod and have figured out a technique that gives you few to no scratches/chips on your bezel at all.

Here we go:

-OK this is one of the biggest steps right here...use a credit card, or anything else soft, to create a very small gap between the bezel and the back itself. Remember you only need a tiny gap, one small enough to fit the end of a tiny flathead into.
    - find a very small flat head, (or any thin, flat metal tool)...i myself have a "2.5x40" flathead lying around, and I always prefer it best.
    -once you've got that tiny gap, insert the screwdriver(or tool of choice).
    Now here is the trick! Many people just begin prying left in right in a relentless fury to pop the thing open...bet there is a way to do it very easily...if you can, angle it up a bit and slowly slide the screwdriver deeper into the ipod, far enough so than you are between both the bezel and back fully. Be sure to slide at least the tip of the utensil in so that you will get no scratches
    -next angle your inserted screwdriver down with force. Opening it with this method means means it never actually touches the outer edge of the bezel, leaving no scratches! The small chip/dent is left on the inside of the bezel instead of the visible portion. Note that your original back may(but probably won't) get a scratch or dent, but i never plan on using it again so i don't care.

Here is a pic showing you the motion I am talking about:

Please Register or Log in to view images

-Keep using the screwdriver as a lever to pry the two pieces apart until you here one of the connections pop loose. once it has done so you can: leave that screwdriver in as a "jack, and use another to unattach the rest of the back...slide that one a bit to the side and continue using the same method, slide the "credit card around the edge(with a bit of force) to unattach the rest of it.
    -Once you've gotten a few undone, it should be very easy to simply pull the back off with your fingers.

Now you can continue your Darthpod installation proud knowing you just did it all with no scratches to your bezel

NOTE: I will be receiving my Darthpod this week and will try and post pics of my install process once I receive it!​
  2. jvandervalk

jvandervalk Member

sweet, can't wait to see if you pull it off alright

3. The Baydestrian

The Baydestrian Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    just got mine right now!
    will try!
  4. bob vansteel

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    well...I got the case off with very little scratches however...the provided screwdriver didn't do a thing...in fact it stripped one of the screws! What can I do now! I screwed!(no pun intended) UGHHH any help?
  5. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    You think I never tried this? XD

No worky - Doesn't unclip for me.
  6. potroast32

potroast32 Banned

Great job, i like using a guitar pick instead of credit card but I'm sure credit card works too
  7. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Plastic flakes off both and falls into the iPod which I had to vacuum out after I actually got it off. XD
  8. bob vansteel

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    lol like i said, I got the back off perfectly fine...i put a little dent in the origional back, but that was it...the stupid screwdriver included didn't work at all, it was like it was too long and never griped, so i snipped a bit off the end and still nothing! I managed to get one of, but the others aren't budging...any ideas onm how to remove and the reinstall them? please!
  9. potroast32

potroast32 Banned

Find The Hardest Plastic Piece Thin Enough To Put Into The Side

If You Fail Than I Suppose Use Metal But Once You Get A Small Hole Only Pry It Open From That Spot As Bob Suggests
  10. The Baydestrian

The Baydestrian Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    ahh i just got mine in the mail and im having trouble!