How to hide groups of apps

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by daconcerror, Apr 24, 2009.

1. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ok, so this guide is written for those of you who:

1) Have apps they don't want other people to see
    2) who's parents think jailbreaking is illegal and want them to remove it
    3) have broken their iPod and need to take it to the apple store for a 'Quick Fix'

You're probably saying "Why not just use SBSettings or Bossprefs to hide and unhide the app?" Because this is painfully slow, and boring. In this guide "FreeApp.app" is just the name of the random app that you got off the appstore.

Ok so lets begin.

What you need:

1) A jailbroken iPod/iPhone
    2) Categories
    3) ANY free app off the appstore

So:

1) Download a free app off of the appstore, preferably something that no-one will go onto
    2) SSH into your iPod/iPhone and go into /mobile/applications and find your free app.
    3) Go into the FreeApp.app and copy the icon.png onto your desktop
    4) Delete the free app on your iPod/iPhone

Now you need to use the icon:

1) SSH into /Applications/Categories/icons
    2) Drag icon.png into there and rename it "A_bb.png" or something like that with the "A_" this will put it right at the top of the icon list.

Now you need to create your hidden folder:

1) Use categories to make a folder called "FreeApp.app" and choose the icon that you SSH'd in
    2) Put all of your junk in there

I did this with the Facebook app and because i'm on an iPod nobody thinks to go into it offline. With the iPhone choose something EXTREMELY boring like, dictionary.com
  2. iPodTouchDev

iPodTouchDev New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    SBSettings & BossPrefs are not slow, or boring. This is slow, tedious, and somewhat useless.
  3. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i find this easier cuz they're all in there and i dont need to go down a list and switch them on or off, with this you only need to open one app, with hiding them you need to switch them on, use the app, then off again..
  4. iPodTouchDev

iPodTouchDev New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Also,

What? A "Quick Fix", like there stuck in Restore or DFU mode? If that's so, then apple won't know because the device would not have it's SpringBoard showing, and they would probably just restore it, or give you a new one... so no need to hide anything.

And if it's physical damage, then I wouldn't be worried about them seeing it jailbroken.

NOTE:
    Not illegal.
  5. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Omg talk about slow

Please Register or Log in to view images

To do the SAME EXACT thing you did but a lot easier. All you have to do is get the icon of your choice, place it in /var/mobile/Media/Categories/Icons/ make a folder and select that icon you just placed in. No need to do any thing in winterboard.
  6. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    lol ok ill shorten that bit of the guide