How to: Have an Animated Wallpaper (vWallpaper)

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by linkhero, Feb 1, 2009.

1. linkhero

linkhero New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Alright some important info you need to know before I show you how to do this:

1. An animated wallpaper most likely will slow down your home screen
    2. An animated wallpaper CAN kill your battery life, this is avoidable however if you don't leave your iPod on the homescreen, sleep mode works just fine and will avoid it from eating away battery life
    3. I am not responsible for whatever the hell happens in your attempt to do this. However I have run into a couple problems too so I will try to help if something bad occurs.
    4. The wallpaper occasionally freezes alot, it could freeze your iPod in fact, use at your own risk

Ok, on to the tutorial.

Preview

[​IMG]
    This is my current wallpaper, it is offsync and the animation is limited because it is only frames I created from some bad screenshots off my iPod into a .gif so none of it is in good order or is it the full video wallpaper as it is longer than that.

vWallpaper Tutorial

Requirement: You need the iSpazio source (cydia.ispazio.net)

Step 1: Go onto Cydia

Step 2: Press on the Search Tab, type in vwall and find vWallpaper

Step 3: Press vWallpaper, author should be skrew, now press on the top right hand corner, install, confirm

Step 4: Wait a few moments and it should be installed, but take note that not only does it install vWallpaper but SkrewCommon aswell, SkrewCommon isn't an application on your springboard but its the library that holds all the wallpapers on your ipod/iphone

Step 5: Go on your springboard, find vWallpaper, press it, let it load up

Step 6: Go onto Video Wallpaper > turn on Enable video!

Step 7: Now go onto Select Video > pick one of the two videos as wallpapers, now get out of the program and go onto your springboard, and you'll see that it is now your background, if you want more video wallpapers press 'Download Videos' in the application, its in the Video Wallpaper section

or if you want to add your own vWallpaper, scroll down

But wait, DID IT NOT WORK?

Here is one reason, you have a winterboard/summerboard theme on that replaces the background, you must disable the entire theme or SSH into your iPhone/iPod yourself and delete the file in the theme that replaces the background

Another reason, you have a wallpaper on from another application/winterboard, turn it off and it should work

Another, is it too slow? the video file is far too large then or your ipod can't take it

Add your own vWallpapers into the app

Some sources for vWallpapers:

Step 1: Go on these websites and download some of the many wallpapers you want.

http://www.google.com

http://vwallpapers.com/

http://www.thememyphone.com/thumbnails-155.html

Step 2: The downloaded .mov or .mp4 file should be on your desktop, now, open up your SSH program and go into you iPod/iPhone

Step 3: If you are in private/var, find your way to the mobile folder

Step 4: If you are in private/var/mobile, go into Media

Step 5: If you are in private/var/mobile/Media, find the folder Skrew, go inside

Step 6: There are 3 folders, go into Videos, alright, this is it, this is where every video is for vWallpapers, now drop the video you downloaded in Step 2 into this folder

Step 7: Go into vWallpaper and select your video as your wallpaper, success

Creating Custom vWallpapers:
    To create your own video wallpapers for vWallpaper you must own a video editing program. Create a video with whatever original content you choose. Then export/render your video as a .mov or .mp4 file; it needs to be 320 wide by 480 high and works best if the file size is around 1MB.

Tutorial Videos

These videos are not created by me, they explain SOME portions of this tutorial, like how to install vWallpaper and use the basics, use this if you need to.

Create a Custom vWallpaper with mxTube/Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNxJwdPtdr0

How to get vWallpaper:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHSzXPK0plo&feature=related
  2. GanawaJ

GanawaJ New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    gOOD vIDEO sUBSCRIBED
  3. linkhero

linkhero New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    wow, it took two days for someone to reply to this thread, and the tutorial video isn't by me...ehh yeah
  4. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Wouldn't it just be easier to sync a video called Wallpaper.mp4 into your current WinterBoard theme without installing vWallpaper?
  5. linkhero

linkhero New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I dont think that is possible, WinterBoard replaces files with what u put in it, if you put an animated .gif file for the Wallpaper for example it'll work, but only one frame, if that doesn't work I don't think an mp4 or any video file would work, there is one OTHER way to get animated wallpapers with winterboard called 'Saurik' but its not as simple as vWallpaper to learn
  6. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You may need vWallpaper for GIFs, but WinterBoard certainly accepts MP4 movie files by default.
  7. idk761

idk761 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I get HTTP/1.403 Forbidden, when I try to download vWallpaper. Help?
  8. linkhero

linkhero New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    From Cydia? try to put the ispazio source again and if that doesn't work try to search on the internet for a package of it you could download

Does it? I've never heard of that method, but hell, no ones heard of vWallpaper either so I'll take your word for it, the only inconvenience with Winterboard is that you can't change your Wallpaper in a theme unless you SSH into it and change it with something else, vWallpaper is just better at doing that :)
  9. idk761

idk761 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have made a video using Sony Vegas platinum. And it works pretty well with this. I made myself gushing blood:).

If someone wants something like this I might be able to help. But I am not the best at this so don't expect a master piece.
  10. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

Nice, will try this, it's more appealing than an image.