[HOW TO] Halo 3 Sniper App

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by PatIsLegend, May 19, 2009.

1. PatIsLegend

PatIsLegend New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    just as a note, this is taken straight from my blog. it should all make sense still but keep that in mind.
    >SCREENSHOTS AT BOTTOM<

My first mod is a full app mod of Shotgun Free, which will turn it into the sniper rifle from Halo 3. It includes sound, visual, naming, and icon mods. The gun you choose to make, however, will be up to you, and I encourage you to try your own ideas. I'll provide most of the files needed to make any gun from the game. What I'll be making as an example is the sniper rifle. First, I'll show you a video of the completed mod, as an incentive to follow this tutorial instead of just trusting me that it will turn out cool. Sorry about the poor quality, it's hard to get good video of an iPod screen!

(couldn't embed, click here for video!)

First you'll need the app called Shotgun Free, which, as the name implies, is free. Just for future reference, I plan to only post mods based on free apps, so you guys won't need to worry about shelling out any money for these. You can download Shotgun Free from iTunes here:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/...ore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=304863000&amp;mt=8

Now that it's installed, we need to get to the files. If you don't know how to access the iPod's filesystem from your computer, read >>this<< first. I'll be using a program called Total Commander, but you can use whatever you prefer.

Navigate to "private/var/mobile/Applications/", then you'll see all of the folders which contain App Store apps. The folders are named with a long string of random letters and numbers. You'll have to look in each of these until you find the one which contains the "Shotgun.app" folder. If you want, you can make a backup copy of this folder, but if you decide you don't want the sniper anymore you can simply reinstall the app. If you followed the link and are using Total Commander like me to access the iPod files, you can click "Commands" at the top and then select "Search" and simply type in Shotgun to find the correct folder. Once you find the Shotgun.app folder open it.

Now, first step in this mod is to get rid of a file called "c*ck.png". Go ahead and laugh, but this is the graphic that moves when you reload the gun, and needs to be deleted for the mod to look right. So delete it.

Next, download >>this<< folder, which contains all of the files I have modded. You can simply highlight all of the files in this folder and drag them into Shotgun.app, and let them overwrite the original files. As I said before, I encourage you to also try modding these yourself, possibly make a Battle Rifle or a Rocket Launcer, whatever you like. These files include sniper rifle shooting and reloading sounds, menu changes, button changes, and a sniper rifle graphic that replaces the shotgun. Now, some finishing touches.

I included a sniper icon in that folder, but the icon will still say "Shotgun" under it, so lets fix that. (Note: If you use the "Categories" app to organize your apps, renaming this will not have any effect. If you have no idea what I'm talking about then ignore this and continue.) Unless you already have a renaming application on your iPod, download >>this<<. It's a simple app called Rename, written by ifans.com user "ipodtouchmaster05", so all credit goes to him. Download that and drag Rename.app into the directory "private/var/stash/Applications". Next you'll have to edit it's permissions to get it work right. There's many ways to do this, but I'd suggest using the app called iFile. It can be installed in Cydia. Simply navigate to Renamer.app in iFile, click the arrow to edit it, then scroll down to "Access Permissions". Turn all on in User, Group, and World. Then exit out and respring your iPod.

And now...you're done! A fully modded and ready to fire Halo 3 Sniper application. As I said before I encourage you to try your own mods, try making a different gun. I uploaded a folder with nearly every weapon sound effect from Halo 3 >>here<<, you can use them if you want. Also, just a note: if you have wifi on when you use this app it will automatically grab ads from the internet, and the "Sniper" label will get covered up. It looks best to use it with wifi off. Here's a few screenshots showing the finished product:

showing the icon

Please Register or Log in to view images

menu

firing mode

Hope you like it! Let me know if you have any questions, or if you have any suggestions or requests for my next mod. You can email me at imodapps@gmail.com.
  2. breakkdown

breakkdown Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nice guide.
  3. PatIsLegend

PatIsLegend New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  4. Qbeck

Qbeck Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    great idea! now what fire-arm shall i make...
  5. johonto

johonto New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ..iv always liked the sound the sound that a desert eagle makes..
  6. iLINUX

iLINUX New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    .50?

Nice guide. Will try it later on tonight

7. PatIsLegend

PatIsLegend New Member

Device:
    iPod touch