How to go about making a NOR Only IPSW (And why I can't figure it out)

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by Expecto, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Expecto

Expecto New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Before you say anything about using the search function, I just manually dug through 70 pages of threads looking for a tutorial. There are 0 tutorials on how to make your own NOR Only IPSW. There are countless threads, however, of people asking for such info.

Now, before you give me a link to Exosion's IPSW or similar, I don't want it. Distributing modified Apple code is illegal and part of what the EFF will have to deal with when they deal with Apple in court. OK? Let's make sure we can jailbreak for the rest of our iPod-lives instead of worrying about how quickly we can get it done. So no links to pre-made NOR Only firmwares. I want to make my own.

Now to the point: I understand that I can use redTool to make myself a custom firmware, but I'm on a Mac, without access to a Win box. Also, I don't quite understand the interface for Untetherizer. The way I understand it is that Untetherizer will take a NOR Only IPSW and patch it with 24kpwn, but it will not actually create the NOR Only IPSW for you. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Any thought out responses or fingers pointed in the right direction will be appreciated. Thanks.

Please Register or Log in to view images

EDIT: I've been here since day 1. Firmware 1.1.1 and the iPod Touch 1G.
    I'm not a noob.
  2. afu

afu New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Amen. I just spent the past day searching for exactly the same thing, for exactly the same reasons. And came up empty handed as well.

The closest thing I've found is a BS patch file on the Dev Team site, called noronly.zip. But I don't know what file to patch with it, and at what time during the creation of the ipsw. I have seen allusions to removing or renaming the ramdisk files, but nothing concrete enough to actually use.

I too have a self created untethered ipsw which works perfectly, and I would just like to create my own NOR only version, without downloading someone elses version.
  3. deeboy55

deeboy55 New Member

Device:
    iPad
    hi I have the answer

Please Register or Log in to view images

there's a modified xpwn package for it that I've got. I'll post when I'm out of bed LOL
  4. MuscleNerd

MuscleNerd Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    This is directly from the the dev team page that links to the patch:

5. Scape

Scape New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Sorry Guys...i have 1 question :

WHAT exactly means " NOR only " ?
  6. MuscleNerd

MuscleNerd Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The nor chip holds the boot stages and the boot logos. Everything else (your apps, contacts, music, etc) are in another chip (a nand chip).

So a nor-only update makes your boot stages hacked without touching the main filesystem.
  7. Expecto

Expecto New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Musclenerd, that page deals with run rs. Also, like afu says, we're passing around all these patch files and no one can tell anyone else what to do with them. What I do know is that bspatch was originally a UNIX tool used to change the contents of a file. I think it has to do with bsdiff which reminds me of the diff UNIX command. So does bspatch, "patch" a file based on the differences of two files?

To Scape and deeboy55, don't hijack a thread unless you can provide input.
  8. afu

afu New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks MuscleNerd, I found the Dev Team page in question, thanks to your pointer (I didn't think to look at the RunRS stuff for it). I'll try to create my own NOR only ipsw using the info and patch file later tonight, and report my results here.

Expecto: I think I pretty much understand the instructions MuscleNerd referred us to, and I'll report back later after I try. The patch file does use bspatch; you supply the oldfilename, newfilename, and patchfilename to bspatch on the command line, separated by spaces, and it patches oldfile using the patchfile instructions, creating the newfile. Even though the page MuscleNerd referred us to is about the older RunRS patches, it's relevant to making the NOR only ipsw too.
  9. Expecto

Expecto New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    afu, so that makes sense. But, if I use the nor_only.zip on the wiki, I'll have a NOR only ipsw that gets me run rs, right? Now the problem is how to go about getting a patch for untethered. Or is it the same as the one posted on the iPhone Dev Blog?
  10. MuscleNerd

MuscleNerd Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The "run rs" method was when we put together that nor-only ramdisk patch file but applies in general to all methods. There's nothing in the ramdisk that knows it's being used in a "run rs" flow versus an untethered flow.

In other word it's independent of the patches you would find or create in the main fs, iBoot, LLB, boot logos, etc.