iOS 5.0 How to Get Netflix Working on iOS 5

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by The Untouchable iPod, Jul 11, 2011.

1. The Untouchable iPod

The Untouchable iPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    As most of you probably already know the Netflix app does not work on iOS 5 yet. This sucks because it is one of my most used apps on my iPhone. I could open the app but not watch the videos (also search doesn't work and the Instant Queue tab does not show up) So I started looking for a fix to this problem and lo and behold I have found one. Well sorta. Using the following method you can at least get the video playing but search still does not work and the Instant Queue still does not show up.

I have tested this method on an iPhone 4 and the iPad both running iOS 5b1
    It should work on beta2 as well as the other devices capable of running iOS 5.

What you must do is use an older version of the Netflix app (I used 1.2.1 and it worked but I am not sure about any other versions So if you have 1.2.1 use it)
    Chances are if you have had netflix for a while one of the old versions is still on your computer somewhere so just search your computer for Netflix. I unfortunately could not find it in the mobile applications folder (because iTunes deletes all non-current versions of an appp) so I went looking in the Trash where i was able to find Netflix 1.2.1.

Now what you must do is delete the newer version of netflix from your idevice and from itunes and drag 1.2.1 into the apps section in itunes. Sync it and then sign in and you should be good to go.

Let me know if it worked for you.
  2. that0n3guy

that0n3guy Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Any chance you can send me 1.2.1? I don't think it's considered piracy because of the fact that it's a free app anyways. I'd really love to use my Netflix and not be stuck downgrading.
  3. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    It is piracy even if it is free.
  4. MacDevil

MacDevil Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Can anyone confirm that this trick actually works? I was surprised to find a copy of Netflix 1.2.1 in my trash and would like to go back to the iOS 5 betas if Netflix can be made to work.
  5. ninjanub7

ninjanub7 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Im pretty sure that its not piracy. The app is free. It would be piracy if we were able to watch the shows for free, which we cant.

So can someone PLEASE upload version 1.2.1 of netflix? ILL LOVE YOU.
  6. Apple951

Apple951 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    The sharing of Copy-righted material is still piracy.
  7. halolordkiller3

halolordkiller3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Kinda Of Topic: What's interesting though is that Netflix uses so much data its nuts. Since I am capped at 150GB of download/upload a month we started to wonder why our data was going up. Turns out the guys at netflix said "Netflix will use roughly 2GB of data per hour."

So unless you have unlimited data, watch yourself.

On Topic: Technically speaking it is still piracy, but in a different form. Unless given permission to hand out an older copy of the .ipa you are illegally handing out copyrighted material.
  8. zombie boy99

zombie boy99 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Thanks for this :D
    I was lucky enough to find a copy in my trash :)
  9. The Untouchable iPod

The Untouchable iPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    As much as I would love to, it's still technically piracy. So unless a mod gives special permission and oks it (which is VERY VERY unlikely) I'm not going to upload it and you're just out of luck. Although If you have any old versions of the netflix app, i would try them also because there is a chance that they may also work. Especially versions close to 1.2.1 like 1.2.0 or 1.2.2
  10. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Yeah, it is still piracy. It is free, but that doesn't mean that it isn't copyrighted (hint: it most definitely is). So, as per the rules, if anyone posts the app, they will get banned.