[How To] free VOIP from your ipod touch 2G!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by berky93, Oct 17, 2008.

1. berky93

berky93 New Member

As you all know, the ipod touch 2g supports a microphone. with this new feature you can not only record your voice and and use the guitar tuner apps, but you can also make VOIP calls! with a free application and a registration to a certain service, you can turn your ipod touch 2g into a free iphone...sorta.

heres how to make free calls from your ipod touch with a mic:

1) download and install the application Fring from the appstore. Fring is a free messaging app that lets you use IM and VOIP.

2) sign up for a FREE account at VoipCheap.com. to do this you have to install their desktop application. you can register through the application, then uninstall the application. voipcheap is a FREE VOIP service that allows you to make free calls. there are limitations: you can only call one of the many approved countries (list on their homepage) and if you use more than 300 minutes a week you have to buy credit and use that to cover the extra cost from that week.

3) now enter Fring and hit the More button at the bottom the the screen. Navigate to Add-Ons

4) hit Sip and select ViopCheap.

5) enter your account info

6) try making a call, because you are done!*

I hope everyone's setup went as smoothly as mine did. It may not be as good as a real phone (you can only call when you have wifi) but if you're going somewhere where you know you will be able to access a little internet, its a good emergency phone. plus, the coolness factor is through the roof!

*please note that unless you are in the country this service is located in (I think its germany, but I cant tell) the caller ID on a reciever's phone will say international call, or something similar.

EDIT: I just received an account confirmation from voipcheap, and it said that free calls are limited to 1 minute. I think thats fine for emergency calls though, just dont go chatting it up!
  2. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    lol cool... jusut need a mic though

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. swish27

swish27 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    omfg this is so awesome im just wating on apple to send me a new ipod touch 1g (i had to send them it because the hold button broke) and when i get it back i will sell it on ebay and then i can get my ipod tocuh 2g !!!

also will the new apple headphones with mic work with the 2g? so i can just talk thropugh the mic on the headphones..
  4. berky93

berky93 New Member

any headset will work. Mine isnt from apple, its from philips. but the apple ones were made to work with the 2g, so they should especially work.
  5. taxbax

taxbax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    thanks, i didn't think to try voip cheap, ive been tryna figure out how to do this
  6. awesome761

awesome761 Banned

ANY way to do this with the 1st gen?
  7. acme_bg

acme_bg New Member

Which philips headset model are you using?
  8. berky93

berky93 New Member

sorry I was mistaken. theyre from Griffin - the tunebuds mobile

and I dont know if this works on the 1g. my guess is that the mic for the ig (the touchmods one) wont work for this, but if youre jailbroken and can find another app that does accept it (touchmods sip-voip?) it will work.