Welcome to the iFans Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

How to format ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by awaisuk, Feb 15, 2008.

1. awaisuk

awaisuk New Member

How to format ipod touch?

I want to format it, so it looks like brand new.. how do i do that?
  2. mrgono3

mrgono3 New Member

hit restore in itunes when your ipod is connected. it will restore everything to the default factory settings
  3. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Do you mean restore??

Because format is a completely Different thing.
  4. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

Is it?? As far as I can work out a 8gb Ipod Touch has 2 x 4gb Toshiba Flash

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/iPod/iPod-Touch

The touch I guess has some stored info that tells it when you press home and sleep together to enter restore mode regardless of the OS running on the flash. I would have thought that when you restore the flash memory is wiped and the OS package you are installing (ie 1.1.1) is written to the flash in it's place. So for all intents and purpose a restore formats the flash memory and then places the os packages on the clean flash.

If you want a clean ipod touch you can restore to 1.1.1, 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 - all will give a OTB touch even if you had a JB touch previous - because the flash is wiped and the restore package replaces it. It may not be actually formatting the flash chips, but it is as near damn it as you can get.
  5. BigMac45

BigMac45 New Member

Wow man you gotta speak in english there.. :p lol
  6. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Short of getting some really big magnets, the restore option is pretty much it, and will reflash the unit back to a clean out of the box state (depending on what you flash, of course)
  7. sampackard

sampackard New Member

Go to settings and then general and then reset and then erase all content and media. Also keeps installer if you jailbreaked it..
  8. Doggkor

Doggkor New Member

why would u wanna format it? you can buy 2 gb flash drives for like 15 bucks now
  9. steveo3

steveo3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Why do you want to do this any where
  10. flaviojesus

flaviojesus New Member

I have a little bit of a situation here and you might helo me out...
    Well I downloaded the last version of ZiPhone, but I forgot completely to restore my ipod to normal firmware before doing the jailbreak, after a couple of minutes my ipod was kind of dead, in a continous cycle of the same command, wich is:

"BSD: root: md0, major 2, minor 0" that command repeats itself and it never ends 'till the battery is completely gone!

Now Ziphone and iTunes doesn't even recognize the iPod, what should I do now? How can I format, restore, clean my iPod Touch if it doen't even appers in iTunes... is there any app. that can be used for that?

Thanks for the help.