-{How To}- Fix Keyboard Freezing Error with Winpwn Beta

Discussion in 'Pwnage and Winpwn Discussions' started by injuringchimp, Apr 17, 2008.

1. injuringchimp

injuringchimp New Member

2. bas116

bas116 New Member

is this the only solution?

I was hoping to avoid Ziphone.
  3. injuringchimp

injuringchimp New Member

meh i dun know. I just figured this out so i dont know if there is another way.
  4. plaqda

plaqda New Member

Why do you want to avoid ZiPhone. The man who developed ZiPhone took 3 months, i think the program is very good.
  5. planetbeing

planetbeing New Member

What?

It's not necessary to use ZiPhone to fix "the keyboard freezing problem". Here, I'll describe in technical detail what the problem is:

Installer has "setuid" permissions, which means it executes as root. It is the only application on SpringBoard that executes as root. On a freshly restored iPod/iPhone, none of the databases for things like keyboard autocomplete have been created. If Installer is the first thing that you run on your iPod touch, it will create databases owned by root. However, because they are owned by root, and every other application (including the application that manages keyboard autocomplete!) runs as "mobile", none of the other applications will be able to read those databases. What happens is that they discover that they can't read those databases, try to change the permissions on those databases, fail, try again, over and over in an endless loop. That's why the iPod freezes.

Solution: DO NOT RUN INSTALLER THE FIRST THING AFTER YOU RESTORE. First, go type some stuff in contacts, play a song. That will initialize all the databases properly. After that, you can use Installer, which will then use the already created databases (readable by both mobile and root) instead of creating them, and everyone will be happy.

Advanced solution: In OpenSSH, if you can install it, type this: chown -R mobile:wheel /private/var/mobile/Library/AddressBook

Voila.
  6. x6blues

x6blues New Member

He is absolutely correct, so can a mod close this thread to avoid any confusion and, hell, stick the above post since it explains everything.