How to fix Customize's FreeBoard and Glitter issues

Discussion in 'Customize 2.0 Discussions' started by GrooveMachine, Jun 11, 2008.

1. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    So, I did a little research on all these problems, and decided to take matter into my own hands. Here are some general fixes for everyone having trouble with FreeBoard and Glitter, as well as your Lock Screen Wallpaper.

----------------------------------------------------------------

So, we'll start with Glitter. Glitter is the new auto-update system for Customize 2.0. The concept is likely based off of the popular auto-update system for Mac, Sparkle. You can find more information on Sparkle here:
    http://sparkle.andymatuschak.org/

So, there's just one problem with Glitter at this point. After checking out what was going on (running it in Terminal to get output), I saw what was wrong for me. I was missing the md5 executable in /sbin.

Symptoms of this problem are the app launching then quitting quickly.

So, now, the fix. I've uploaded the md5 executable to my site. Download it from the following link, unzip it, and put it in /sbin on your iPod (via SSH or SFTP). The permissions should already be at 755, but if they're not, fix that too.

Here's the link:
    http://groove.milescrabill.com/md5.zip

Once that's in /sbin, try opening Customize again. It should open normally, but wait for about 5 seconds until it asks you to update. You MUST update at this point. After updating, re-open Customize and you're set to go.

Now, some of you have been problems with not being able to boot. This is because sometimes FreeBoard will disable SummerBoard. When SummerBoard is disabled, Apple's default app limit is applied, so if you have more than around 80 apps installed, you won't be able to boot. Here's a fix found by BigBoss:

"If you are already in this situation and need to fix the problem without restoring, you can do so by using SSH/SCP or something like iPhoneBrowser to remove folders in /Applications until the phone boots. Then you can reinstall the apps you had to delete. Don’t remove anything critical. Easiest fix is to use winscp or such and make a temp folder called “Temp” in /Applications. Then just drag enough folders from /Applications into /Applications/Temp until the count is around 75. Then reboot the phone, disable freeboard, make sure SummerBoard is enabled, and move all the folders from /Applications/Temp back to just /Applications."

Another problem is that people can't seem to get past the "spinning wheel of death" at boot. This is where you can almost boot, but not quite. This is caused by the conflicting services of SummerBoard and FreeBoard. To fix this problem, you have to disable FreeBoard. But, you can't boot, remember? Luckily, you should have SSH access, and you can fix it through there. Let's get started.

I'd suggest using an FTP client for this, as it requires editing files (which is tough over the command line).

So, just wait until your ipod is pretty much on (just before the spinning wheel), then log in via SSH/SFTP.

Then go to /System/Library/LaunchDaemons, and open com.apple.SpringBoard.plist. Then, remove these lines from the code:

Code:
    <dict>
    	<key>DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES</key>
            <string>/Library/Frameworks/FreeBoard.framework/FreeBoard.dylib</string>
    </dict>
    Then enter this command over SSH:

Code:
    launchctl load com.apple.SpringBoard.plist
    Then your iPod will either load the SpringBoard or reboot. Both are fine--just wait for it to happen, and you'll be set. Also, be sure NOT to turn on FreeBoard, because it causes SpringBoard to not load. Congrats, you're set.

Now, here's another common problem: not being able to change your Lock Screen Wallpaper.

First, you'll have to log in via SSH/SFTP, and navigate to /var/mobile/Library. Then delete "LockBackground.jpg". You can close your connection to your iPod now. Now, open Customize, and tap "SMB Preferences". Then set SummerBoard to ON, Theme Wallpaper to ON, and Wallpaper to ON. Leave everything else off. Set the theme to "Customize". Now apply a theme in the Theme browser, then respring. Your wallpaper should be there.

Well, that's all, folks. Hope this helped anyone with problems with Customize. Thanks for reading!
  2. The Baydestrian

The Baydestrian Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    nice job man
    useful little tutorial
  3. flattop95

flattop95 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    yea it wasn't working for me earlier
  4. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I was doing some other messing around and noticed loads of other problems, like these:
    • Some of my sections in Preferences were gone.
    • Customize said it needed to run online to work (even if I was online).
    • I couldn't apply wallpapers of any kind.

So, here's pretty much what I did to fix it:

1. Disable SummerBoard and all of its options in the "SMB Preferences" sections of Customize.

2. Reboot.

3. Delete "LockBackground.jpg" from /var/mobile/Library and "Wallpaper.png" from /var/mobile/Library/SummerBoard/Themes/Customize.

4. Reboot again.

5. Enable FreeBoard with all options checked. WARNING: YOU MUST HAVE SSH ACCESS AT THIS POINT.

6. Reboot.

7. When you get the spinning wheel of death, log in over SSH and remove the four lines i specified in my first post in this thread (from the file com.apple.SpringBoard.plist in /System/Library/LaunchDaemons), and enter the command I posted above in the first post (launchctl command).

8. Wait for it to reboot on its own, and return to the SpringBoard.

9. Now, open Customize, and uncheck all of the options in FreeBoard (only if they're checked). Don't worry about all the flashing warnings and stuff.

10. Open the "SMB Preferences" section of Customize, and turn on both options containing the word "Wallpaper", and set the theme to Customize.

11. Turn on SummerBoard within Customize.

12. Open the actual SMBPrefs application and make sure it all applies, then check to make sure FreeBoard and all of its options are OFF.

13. Reboot.

14. Apply the theme of your choice and reboot one final time to get it all to show up.

15. Reboot once more for good measure.

You're done! Hopefully this worked for you, because it fixed everything for me, and now everything works great for me with no problems whatsoever.
  5. nate853

nate853 New Member

what about the intelliscreen problem? it completely stopped workinng for me after i turned on freeboard.
    Also with freeboard off it still doesnt work :S
  6. meatholes

meatholes New Member

my problem is that i turned off summerboard............with five icons in my dock because it only said not to turn off freeboard with 5 icons.. and failed to mention not to turn off summerboard.. which i didnt think i needed because freeboard is a replacement i understand i need to ssh into my phone but i cant.... i know that i have installed the open ssh from the installer.. but i have no idea what my ip address is to ssh to. also im not sure but my phone may have been put into airplane mode prior to the SWOD.

also it does not give me the spinning wheel anymore now it just stays on the apple screen and vibrates while its plugged into my PC ive tried connecting Via ibricker, iphonebroswer, and flashfxp(which i have used before on a previous iphone)

ANY help would be awesome but i know theres a million dumb peoples like myselfsss that cant fix it on their own.
  7. meatholes

meatholes New Member

i was able to connect through iphonebroswer after hours of trying and getting lucky..

i deleted this code from the com.apple.springboard plist

<dict>

<key>DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES</key>
    <string>/Library/Intelliborn/intelliScreen:/Library/Frameworks/iBlacklist.framework/iblacklist.dylib:/Applications/MCleaner.app/MServer.dylib:/Applications/AdBlock.app/MobileSafariAdBlock.bundle/MSABHook.dylib:/Applications/MCaller.app/MCallEng.dylib:/Library/Frameworks/FreeBoard.framework/FreeBoard.dylib</string>

</dict>

but now how do i send the "launchctl load com" command?? please help me its too much to restore and redo everyything plus some things werent backed up

Please Register or Log in to view images

my problem occured right after i turned off summer bgoard wouldnt it have been easier to just manually turn summerboard back on with changing a plst? i dunno i need HELP
  8. snak3

snak3 New Member

thank u this is a very good tut
  9. reymond_c

reymond_c New Member

Preferences.app icon no where to found. I lost it from the freeboard 5th dock. HELP!

I got my freeboard working well in my 1.1.4 ipod touch until i installed something from installer that turns my booting page to freeze.with lots of patience, i waited my ipod touch to drain its battery hoping that it would fix it when charged back from a dead battery but no luck.

The next solution that i did was to put my ipod touch into NORMAL MODE using ziphone, now all i get is the DFU indication (iTunes icon and the dock connector) with the spinning thing until it freezes with a looping "beep" (rebooting sound).

I don't wanna do restoring and lose all my personalized apps as well as all the tweaks i made. So i tried doing an SSH on it using winSCP and surprising the next thing i know i'm already inside my assumed-dead ipod touch.I made all the backup i could and saved all the apps to my pc and then delete them all from my ipod.

Luckily after i drained the battery i powered it back and my ipod touch came back from the dead. I SSH it and put back all the backup apps ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT I LOST THE SETTINGS/PREFERENCES ICON

then i remembered that i put it in the 5th place of the freeboard. I couldn't have put the freeboard back to 4 icons previously because of what happened.NOW, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

How could i possibly get back the SETTINGS icon into my springboard without restoring? I really need help. Thank you in advance!