[How to] Fix an iPod Touch/iPhone not booting up properly.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mikeac, Jul 3, 2010.

1. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    This guide covers:
    Bricked Device Facts
    Reasons for Boot Problems
    How to Fix Your iPod

Did I brick it?
    Probably not. To brick an iPod you need to wear out the battery (charged and drained the device fully 500 times) or wear out the flash memory ((average 100,000 program-erase cycles per memory block (~8,000-64,000)), both extremely unlikely. If you are constantly recharging your battery, using virtual memory (including using the iPod as a LiveCD with VM), this will lessen the amount of your device's life. Chances are, it should take up to 10 years to fully brick your device. If you wear out the battery, it can be repaired by sending it in to Apple.

Here are the reasons you may have messed up your device:
    The device may just be stuffed up or glitched.
    You removed/modified an important file on your device.
    When modifying system files, you didn't change the permissions properly.
    You installed an incompatible application/add-on on your device.
    You didn't properly restore/downgrade/jailbreak your device.​
    If I missed one, tell me.

Remember the five R's, as they are pretty much covered here:
    Recharge, Reboot, Remove Content, Reset Settings and/or Restore.

If you have a Mac, an MB model device, and are on 3.1.2 firmware, scroll down to the bottom for a quick fix. I doubt many do, but I posted it here anyways.

If your iPod is NOT detected at any point of this guide where it should be detected (when you need to SSH or restore), restart any Apple Mobile Services, reboot the computer, reinstall iTunes, and/or try another computer.

Reboot: Charge your iPod for a a while, then hold down the Home and Power buttons until your iPod shuts off and turn it back on if it does not automatically.

Cydia Autoinstall Glitch Fix: If you are installing a MobileSubstrate add-on on Cydia using the autoinstall method and its taking more than five minutes to reboot, hold down the Power and Home buttons for ten seconds. Your springboard should reboot into safe mode (it may not though). Respring your device, and reboot it again. If the apps you installed weren't installed, reboot it once more. If it still isn't installed, make sure you have downloaded all the dependencies of the app.

DFU/Recovery Mode & Restore:
    Even though many of you don't want to lose all of your data on your device, but this is the simplest option, it fixes all problems most of the time, and requires minimal technical knowledge. You should research your problem FIRST by looking below this area BEFORE you restore.

IMPORTANT: In order to restore to a firmware lower than the current firmware that is released for your device (4.2.1), you must have your SHSH blobs saved on Cydia. If you do not have your SHSH blobs saved, you must DFU restore to the newest firmware released.

Note: Restoring removes all data and settings, including saves and high scores. Furthermore, any jailbreak applications will be removed. Hopefully you have a backup ready, because that is the only way to restore all your settings and data back. You will still have to resync everything. On occasion, when restoring from a backup, you can keep some jailbreak data like battery percentage and custom carrier text.

Read this also!
    Alternative:
    1. Make sure your device is unplugged and off.
    2. Hold the home button down while connecting your iPod to your computer.
    3. Keep holding it until iTunes detects your device in recovery mode and your iPod shows connect to iTunes.
    RecBoot
    1. Download RecBoot and unzip it.
    2. Make sure your iPod is plugged in.
    3. Open RecBoot and click 'Enter Recovery Mode'.
    If this does not work, try running it in compatibility mode.

Removed a System File?
    If you removed or modified an important system file and/or didn't set correct permissions, hopefully you created a backup and/or can somehow fix it via SSH or iFile. Otherwise, you will have to restore. Members cannot give you any system files as they are copyrighted.

Fix most recovery boot loop issues:
    This is for recovery boot loop issues, as in when you reboot and it constantly is in DFU/Connect to iTunes mode.
    1. Follow steps 1 and 2 of RecBoot above.
    2. Run RecBoot and click Exit Recovery Mode. Reboot your device. If it is stuck on the Apple logo, you may have to restore or try to figure out what else is causing your device to get messed up.​
    Installed a bad application? Remove it!
    You can try to to remove all the applications you (un)installed in your last session which may have messed up your device. This is because the packages you downloaded may have conflicted with other packages, you have an unstable jailbreak,or the app wasn't properly installed, creating screwy startup file after (un)installing something. Here is how to fix it:
    1. SSH onto your device and navigate to the affected application(s). Normally it would be in /Applications, but that isn't always the case. Remove the app directory. Search for any launch daemons that start the application and remove them, or any other directory containing file for the application.
    2. SSH or access your device through a USB browser.
    3. Navigate to /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ and copy com.apple.SpringBoard.plist to your computer.
    4a. Rename it to com.apple.SpringBoard.txt. Open it with a good text editor (Preferably EditPad or NotePad++) and navigate to:
    4b. Use plist editor for windows to edit the file.
    Code:
    <dict>
    <key>DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES</key>
    <string>/filepath/app1.dylib;/filepath/app2.dylib;/filepath/app3.dylib</string>
    </dict>
    5. There will be several .dylib keys in the string, each separated by colons. You will want to remove the last application(s) you (un)installed in one session. Let's say only app1 is causing the problem. You will want to remove that from the string and make it look like this:​
    Code:
    <dict>
    <string>/filepath/app2.dylib;/filepath/app3.dylib</string>
    </dict> 
    6. Reboot. Still have problems? Remove the entire string, reboot, and then remove and all the apps associated.​
    Code:
    <dict>
    <string></string>
    </dict> 
    Are you STILL having problems? A restore is your only option.​
    Easy Fix for Macs
    You will need a Mac to use this and have an MB model device on firmware 3.1.2, along with the 3.1.2 ipsw (Anything else doesn't work):

iPhone 2G
    iPhone 3G
    iPod Touch 1G
    iPod Touch 2G MB

The software is called CaniHazRecover. Odd name right? Anyways, what it does is restore the necessary files required to boot up your device, such as launch daemons, but does not remove your music, movies, etc. It may contain copyrighted files, so you will need to find it on Google.
    1. Download and unzip CaniHazRecover. Run it.
    2. Follow the steps into pwned Recovery/DFU Mode properly.
    3. Drag the 3.1.2 ipsw into the console. It will patch it and put it in a new directory.
    4. You can now restore your device with this firmware.​
    After further inspection, these commands can be ported to run on a Unix-like system. *wink*

Any problems, know other methods to fix iPhone/iPod Touch boot issues, or find and error in this tutorial, please post here or PM me.

*Of course credit goes where credit is due. This entire guide is a compilation of what I learned when my iPod has gone through the worst and is from several sites (and I mean SEVERAL sites) including this one. Any of the programs mentioned here are not created by me.
  2. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    WoW! This is a great explanation and should be stickied. Good job!
  3. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks. I worked on it for two hours.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Bazinga

Bazinga Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Agreed. It should be stickied. Though the title doesn't quite imply that it's more like a "Solution TO Everything" guide. It sounds more like a problem by the title. So a rename of the title and sticky will set the world free.

5. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
  6. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hopefully a mod will add [Tutorial] or [HowTo] to it if they sticky it, because it does look like a problem.
  7. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Thread has been stuck and added to the Tutorials page.
  8. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Oh wow! Great, thanks.
  9. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This is amazing. I am bookmarking this. Good job!!!!!
  10. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Hey for the restore part, if you restore from backup it keeps SOME of the jailbreak files, so now I have battery percentage whoohoo. Check my other thread.