[how to] finding your public ip address to use your computer from ANYWHERE

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by berky93, May 1, 2008.

1. berky93

berky93 New Member

little work is required to be able to access yor computer from anywhere.

this requires vnsea. I'm not going to tell you where to get it or how to use/set it up. theres a ton of threads on that.

what I am, however, going to tell you is how to configure it so no matter where you are your computer can be accessed from your ipod.

1) install/set up vnsea and realvnc (follow the many great tutorials)

2) login to your modem and forward ports 5500, 5800, 5900, and 5920 for use with realvnc (this varies from modem to modem. to log into your modem you must know the default gateway address and the username/password for the modem. to find the default gateway run command prompt and type "ipconfig" it will show info about your internet, and the address next to "default gateway" is what you want. copy that number and paste it into your web browser's address bar. hit go and you will be directed to your modems control panel)

4) right click the realvnc icon in your taskbar and go to options. go to the connections tab and change the number 5900 to 5920

3) go to ipchicken.com and look at the number on your screen. Don't worry that the site knows your ip address, because it doesnt save it. it cant. the noly thing it does is display it, locally. meaning not even the website owner knows your ip address.

4) go into vnsea on your ipod and make a new connection (the plus icon) name it how you want. then in the ip address field enter [youripaddress]:5920 (replace [youripaddress] with the number displayed in ipchicken) now enter your password in the password area and hit save

5) test it. the way to tell if a connection in vnsea works without waiting for it to fully conect is to hit the connect button. if there is a working client that vnsea can connect to, it will only show a spinning wheel in your status bar. if the connection doesn't work, on the bottom of your screen a bar that says "connecting to server" or something like that on it. it will have a cancel button under it. - but if the bar does come up, wait a second. sometimes it will show the bar for a few seconds then it will go away.

6) if the connection worked, great! it will work anywhere! if not, try fiddling with your vnc settings

NOTE: [EDIT: nevermind, I was wrong about this note] - thanks AudioAltima!
    1 person likes this.
  2. iPodninja

iPodninja New Member

I'm totally trying this! Thanx Berky!
  3. dabomb1022

dabomb1022 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  4. AudioAltima

AudioAltima Member

Device:
    iPad
    IP addresses can range anywhere from 1 to 255 inclusively. Just cause it starts with a 1, 1x or 1xx doesn't mean its your local routers address. It really depends on your ISP or the DNS servers...

Just pointing that out really, otherwise, most of the information is fairly accurate, although their are a few extra steps thrown in that don't need to be there.
  5. kkoch499

kkoch499 New Member

Yea, agree with AudioAltima,

Good write up, fairly accurate.

I use VNC a lot to connect to my home computer from work. I use Dyndns.com to get an easier to remember hostname instead of my ip address. But that's a trickier step, so I won't go into that.
  6. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    There are lots of IPs that don't start with 76.x.x.x - internet would be awfully small if that was the limit of IPs...

The ones that are usually local are 169.x.x.x, 10.x.x.x or 198.x.x.x (yes, they all start with a 1, but you should clarify that you didn't mean 1.x.x.x).
  7. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
  8. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

Thanks dude! this will help me out a lot!
  9. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    what do you mean by log on to your modem?
  10. ChileTouch

ChileTouch Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    router

Please Register or Log in to view images