How to Enter Safe Mode

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by mikeman118, Feb 24, 2009.

1. mikeman118

mikeman118 New Member

I found a good way to get into safe mode on your iPod/iPhone. Yes, I know there was already a thread about how to do this here, but my way is a lot more practical. Also, I know that if you have SBSettings, you can just click on the power menu and click safe mode. That works perfectly fine, however I removed SBSettings because it seemed my battery was draining quicker and/or my iPod was going slower, so this is a way to do it without SBSettings (I don't know that for a fact, it just seemed that way). Now, I'm sure someone will want to know "Why the heck do you want to get into safe mode?" Well, certain apps (like BIA or The Plateau) don't seem to work with the jailbreak, and I think it must be Winterboard or something. Anyway, this disables Winterboard and any other Mobile Substrate applications, which not only lets theses apps work, it makes your device go a faster.

I got the actual idea from http://pimpmiphone.info/blog/tipstricks/how-to-manually-enter-safe-mode.html, but that involves typing a long command into Mobile Terminal every single time. So I found a better way:

1. If you don't already have BossPrefs installed, go to Cydia and install it
    2. Open BossPrefs, and click on the top left button where it says "Config". You should on the screen that shows up, click "Add" in the top right corner.
    3. In the new window that appears, enter whatever you want the toggle to be called (I just call it Safe Mode)
    4. Now, in the start box you need to put the following text:
      Code:
      touch /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.saurik.mobilesubstrate.dat
      A way I found that kept me from having to type all that out was copying and pasting that into an email on my computer, saving it as a draft, and then downloading the draft onto my iPod. Then, you can open the email and use a copy and paste program like Clippy to copy that text and paste it into the box
    5. In the stop box, type:
      Code:
      killall SpringBoard
      (make sure you capitalize the "S" and "B" of "SpringBoard"
    6. I wasn't really sure what you are supposed to put in the process box, so I just put "Safe Mode" again.
    7. Click "Add"

Now when you go back to the main screen of BossPrefs with all the toggles, you should see one called "Safe Mode" (or whatever you decided to call it). Tap on it to turn it on, and there should be a little spinning cursor for a little bit, and then it will be on. Next, tap it again to turn it off. This WILL cause SpringBoard to restart. It will appear that your device has frozen (it won't give you a spinning circle) but it hasn't, just wait a little while. Then, your lock screen should come up, and you are now in safe mode!
  2. gumbi

gumbi Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    do you have any proof of this other than opinion? i've heard nothing but the contrary from trusted people (i.e. saurik)
  3. mogey16816

mogey16816 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Does SBSettings really lower battery life? This is a better option, as you stated mikeman, so if this is not a common problem I would strongly suggest this method.
  4. mikeman118

mikeman118 New Member

Well, I do know that certain apps (like the two I mentioned) don't work (i.e. they crash right after opening) with the jailbreak, but do work after going into safe mode. As for it going faster, I just say that because Winterboard, QuickGold, and any other apps that normally run in the background are disabled (I do know that for a fact), which frees up memory. Also, if you look at the article I originally got the idea from (in my first post), it describes a little bit more why it's faster.

And here is a letter that I found when I was looking for this that is from the developer of SBSettings, who says "I just call an invalid selector in springboard to trigger it", which is what you're doing here

Well, I don't know that for a fact (it does for some, doesn't for others), but I was trying to maximize my battery life and it just seemed to last longer without it. It also seemed to clear up some memory. Again, this is just specualtion, it may or may not it just seemed that way to me. And, again, doing it in SBSettings is definitely the best way, this is just for people who don't have SBSettings.
  5. gumbi

gumbi Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    i'm pretty sure that's because of conflicts with MS, not because the MS apps are eating too much memory.

well obviously they're running in the background, but the question is how much memory are they using. if it's using like 200KB, it's nothing. you said:
    i'm asking for specifics (numbers would be good) since i'm assuming this is just your opinion. yes it may run nanoseconds faster, but i would hardly call that 'a lot'. again, other people have stated that winterboard and sbsettings have very little effect on the memory.. so i'm just confused about this.

like do you have numbers for these tests. and results that couldn't just be a statistical thing?
  6. mikeman118

mikeman118 New Member

Well haha I'm not really sure why, you're probably right, I just know that going into safe mode fixes the problem.

Again, I assume from the fact that these processes aren't running which normally use up memory, that the device will run faster due to more memory. I do experience fewer crashes in applications as well. As for numbers, the only thing I have is that I normally use Memory Status to clean up the memory. In normal mode, when I use it to clean the memory I can get about 1/4 of the memory free. In safe mode, I can get at least 1/2 free. I'm not really sure if you know what I mean, but it does seem to have an impact.

I'm not saying it does use battery faster or anything (although I have read that before - but I don't know if it's true or not), I just felt better not having it.
  7. bobomaster13

bobomaster13 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    in SBsettings you can go to power...Safe Mode.
  8. mikeman118

mikeman118 New Member

Haha exactly!

Ahem...