iOS 3.1 HOW TO Eliminiate "Other" Space!

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by xXrkidXx, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    SOURCE [REMOVED]

^^I can't get in trouble for that because they are no longer a "Piracy" website.

Well all that extra stuff on your iDevice wasting room? Yea it's useless.

Please Register or Log in to view images

To get rid of it, SSH into "var/mobile/media/photos/thumbs" and delete all the files in there.

Now, SSH into "var/mobile/Media/itunes_control/music" and delete everything in there.*****

Finally, SSH into "var/mobile/library/mail/pop-vostramail/inbox.mbox/messages" and delete the contents of it.

Restart.

Your done

****You will have to un-sync all media via iTunes and then re-sync everything to get your music to play again. But all the Other stuff will stay gone

The Other section is just corrupted files that weren't synced correctly.

For those of you saying that that's where your music is stored, you would be correct. There's corrupted files within those folders. That's why you do the whole "****" thing. I can confirm that it removes the other space and that my music plays fine.

Enjoy!
  2. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Anyone else confirm? I'm too lazy to do it now and I'm also kinda scared. Although I trust you more than a complete newb, I still don't fool around with my filesystem without knowing exactly what I am going to do, and that it works at least 99% of the time, and that 1% it doesn't, there is a fix for.
  3. xXrkidXx

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Only thing that could, and will go wrong is none of your music will play. Just have iTunes not sync any of your music, then resync it all on.

I have had confirmation on another forum that mail is also still there. I can confirm for the Music and Photos.
  4. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I don't know about the 'itunes_control' one, but I would assume that var/mobile/media/photos/thumbs is just a cache...which will be recreated at some point anyway. Unless you schedule a cron job for regular deletion or something (does the iPhone even have cron?), space savings would most likely be short-lived.
  5. xXrkidXx

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yes but the main space saver is the failed iTunes files (itunes_control) they Can be recreated with syncs but it ould take a long time for it to rebuild(need more media to sync to it)

it may require you to do matinence occasionally. Just redelete the files once you see a noticable increase in the Other files.
  6. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

"Other" files can also include jailbroken apps or anything in /var/ that iTunes doesn't recognize (like themes, files in /Mobile which aren't put there by iTunes). iTunes_control is where your music's synced onto, and deleting it does nothing since resyncing the music puts most of it back on. Ditto the thumbnail cache.

I'd have to say that, at best, this guide's somewhat incomplete, and perhaps a little deceptive. I also removed the link, since if you looked ONE POST DOWN they're still offering cracked apps, and some of that software they offer in the repo is either paid for, or else is stolen from other repos.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.