[HOW TO] Edit iTunes apps (IPA files) to be installed on unsupported devices

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ValleyForge, Feb 8, 2012.

1. ValleyForge

ValleyForge Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Developers often put restrictions on their apps which disallow the installation of these apps on older devices and/or iOS versions. This is always done for a reason, which can be any of the following:
    • The app was compiled for a more recent processor than that of the older device
      This means that when the developer made the app, he/she chose to compile it for a processor which newer devices include exclusively. If this is true, then the app will crash upon opening and there is no point in installing it anyway. There is no way around this.
    • The app uses APIs not included in the device's iOS version
      As new iOS versions are released, new APIs are included for apps to work with. For example, if an app uses an API that is only included in iOS 4.3, the developer will make 4.3 the minimum iOS version that the app can be installed on. Sometimes the app will still run on an older iOS version, but problems/glitches within it may arise.
    • The developer wants the user to upgrade to a more recent device and/or iOS version
      This means that the developer placed a restriction of device and/or iOS version just to try and get users to purchase new hardware or update their iOS version. This may or may not be because newer devices are more powerful and can more easily run the app, but it should run.
    In order to install any app, the target device must meet the requirements which are stated within the app. These requirements are in the form of "capabilities", or a specific iOS version. The iOS version and capabilities of your device are stated in the "/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist" and "/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/***AP.plist" property lists respectively. Since simply editing these files is not a good idea because it is likely to cause problems related to dpkg, I will explain how to edit the app to allow you to install it on any device.

What you need:
    Procedure:
    1. Copy the IPA file to a seperate folder (Desktop will work)
    2. Open it with 7-zip
    3. Open "iTunesMetadata.plist". If this is your first time, you will need to extract the plist to set it to open with "plist Editor for Windows" by default. Open it with "plist Editor for Windows".
    4. Here you are looking for anything that says "UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities", or "MinimumOSVersion". What you want to do is remove required capabilities, and set the required iOS version to 1.0. If there are no references to "UIRequiredCapabilities", then you don't need to worry about it; same with "MinimumOSVersion".
    How to change required capabilities:
    Find where it says this (or similar):
    Code:
    <key>UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities</key>
    <array>
        <string>armv7</string>
        <string>video-camera</string>
        <string>opengles-2</string>
    </array>
    Empty the array so it looks like this:
    Code:
    <key>UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities</key>
    <array>
    </array>
    How to change minimum iOS version:
    Find where it says this (or similar):
    Code:
    <key>MinimumOSVersion</key>
    <string>4.3</string>
    Change it to 1.0 so it looks like this:
    Code:
    <key>MinimumOSVersion</key>
    <string>1.0</string>
    5. Save the file and re-place it into the IPA
    6. Now open the again IPA and double-click on "Payload"
    7. Double-click on "[app name].app" (the only folder)
    8. Find Info.plist and open it with "plist Editor for Windows"
    9. Do the same with this plist as you did with "iTunesMetadata.plist" (removing required capabilities and setting the MinimumOSVersion to 1.0)
    10. Save the file and re-place it into the IPA
    11. Open iFunBox which you downloaded earlier
    12. Click on your device, then the "Install App" button near the top
    13. Browse to and open your edited IPA file
    iFunBox will now try to install the app on your device.
    If it fails, look at the error. If it says "0xe8003ffe", "-402653049", "-402653058", or "-402636802", then the problem is that the app was compiled for a more recent processor than that of your device. Just to be sure, look where it says "Executable Modules:" and see what processor it was compiled on (ARMV6, ARMV7, etc.). Even if you did somehow get it to install, it wouldn't run.
    If there is a different error than that, then there is another addressable problem that I can personally help you with if you PM/email me.
    If it is successful, however, then chances are that it will run! Try it out!
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. pandaa

pandaa Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    iTunes lets you install apps even after you edit some of their contents? I didn't think so...
  3. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    It doesn't.
  4. pandaa

pandaa Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    My point exactly... I've tried this before and I had problems with it.
    The contents aren't signed after you edit them, I believe.
  5. ValleyForge

ValleyForge Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    [MENTION=510866]pandaa[/MENTION] Then why does it work for me? You probably changed it into a zip before editing it...that causes problems.
  6. pandaa

pandaa Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I don't know... I'm curious if it works for others...
  7. Half-Life

Half-Life Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    A**S**c allows them to be synced
  8. Chaaqoti

Chaaqoti Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Unfortunately,this cydia app is for p*****.
  9. Half-Life

Half-Life Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I know... It syncs anything though...
  10. frillybob

frillybob Member

It says that I need to update my os version. So I opened up the plist again and it said 1.0 like I had changed it. Right now I'm changing my version with ifile and I'll c if that's work!