How to edit .dylibs?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by itouchnathan, Feb 21, 2009.

1. itouchnathan

itouchnathan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I would like to edit one of my Dynamic Libraries, but I cannot figure out how, I can't open it with anything except for TextEdit, and all that does is distort it. Is there some way for a general user like me to be able to get it to work?
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

You can not edit dylibs. They are compiled code, just as is an application.
  3. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    well reverse engineering could be one solution but the question is is it possible to reverse engineer a .dylib skylar ? If it is don't ask how to do it because I have no idea
  4. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

1. If it's your dylib, you have the source code to it. Recompile it as you want it to be.

2. If you really want to screw with it, you may want to open it up in IDA Pro, however that would require you to know how to read assembly code.
  5. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Don't take it personally, but I dont't really think someone who opens compiled code with TextEdit can use disassemblers...

Please Register or Log in to view images

Which dylib are you talking about? Many, for example TVOut and Backgrounder, are open-source; you can look at their source code and change it. Do you know Objective-C? What do you want to change? A string (text) or entire behavior?