iOS 3.1 [HOW TO] Downgrade iPod Touch 3G 8GB 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 using 2G firmware

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Coca Cola, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Coca Cola

Coca Cola Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Hit me up on MSN skatee@live.com
  2. averan

averan New Member

3. hahaikke

hahaikke New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hmmm, I am also waiting on MSN.
    I am Karel i am new here. I dont know what ipod touch I got.
    It is a 8GB Model MC and it got volumebuttons outside and it is an iPod Touch. But now the question is it 2G or 3G.
    i Already downloaded the frimware (called:iPod2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore) now i can restore to that but how do i pwn it :S
    I am on Windows

Grtz Karel
  4. RileyBen

RileyBen Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    MC model means 3G. So you have the new bootrom therefore you'll have a tethered jailbreak.
  5. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yeah thats what i meant but wasnt to clear myself

what i meant in the initial part is that in the forst placxe to get the shsh certificates from apple "make my life easier" cydia fools apple servers to think a restore is in process therefore it provides cydia with the shsh certificates

what you mentioned is 100% correct
    but that the 2nd stage i wanted to make the point that the shsh are not stored in he device
  6. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Ah, OK, I get it now.
  7. ddomv25

ddomv25 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    did my ipod restore??

was wondering, does my ipod still restore even if at the end doesnt finish? Because when i restore my ipod extracts software and everything, but it always stops at the end when it says installing firmware, then an ERROr 9 message comes up. Has my ipod actually been restored so that apple cant detect a jailbreak?
  8. fredy2

fredy2 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeap it's working

Hey boys confirming Coca Cola way just tried it on my ipod touch 3g 8 gigabytes mc model and it pass all the verification

I use Itunes 8.2 by the way

Thanks boys i was looking for this for 3 days :D
  9. RileyBen

RileyBen Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'd like to know what you have in mind.
  10. nathana

nathana New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I really, really wish people would stop referring to the MC model of the 8GB iPod Touch as a "3G" or "3rd generation" device, because it's not. I think that when people do that, it contributes a lot to the confusion.

Look: for iPhoneOS-based devices (iPhone, iPod Touch), Apple tends to sell a "low-end" model at a low price point to entice price-conscious buyers. That low-end model is typically LAST generation's smallest-capacity model. So, for the iPhone, Apple sells iPhone 3GS 16GB and 32GB, and LAST year's iPhone 3G only in 8GB.

Similarly, for the iPod Touch, they sell the CURRENT generation in 32GB and 64GB models, and LAST generation only in 8GB. The 8GB model of iPod Touch is not a "3G" model any more than the current 8GB iPhone that Apple still manufactures and sells is a "3GS" iPhone.

It's true that the current 8GB iPod Touch's model was updated to "MC" and the bootrom fixed to prevent untethered jailbreaking from working, but that updated bootrom doesn't make the "MC" 8GB Touch a "3G" Touch. The iPhone 3GS bootrom was similarly updated in October, 3 months after the 3GS was introduced to the world. Does this "new" version of iPhone 3GS that only has a different bootrom make the "new bootrom" 3GS an "iPhone 4G"? Of course not.

3G iPod Touch models have the faster CPU and GPU from the iPhone 3GS and also have 256MB of RAM, twice as much as previous generations. The 8GB model has none of these features. All 8GB iPod Touches sold after September 2008 up to the current day are all "2G" iPod Touches. They have always used the 2G firmware when updating, BOTH the MB AND MC models. Always. There is no such thing as a 3G 8GB iPod Touch. There are older models with older bootrom (untethered) and newer models with newer bootrom (tethered), just like iPhone 3GS, but there are no 8GB 3G iPod Touches.

Also, the newer bootrom 2G iPod Touches have never required firmware signing (SHSH based on device ECID), because the 2G iPod Touches have never needed to be signed and which is why this downgrade works. I bet that the iBoot version included with firmware 3.0 doesn't work with the newer bootrom, which is why you can't downgrade MC models all the way to 3.0, but 3.1.2 works fine (because it was released after the MC models hit the street).

-- Nathan