How to downgrade iPod touch 2G from 2.2 to 2.1.1 ?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by Denisius, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Denisius

Denisius New Member

Hello everybody!

I'm a real newbie, so please be patient!

Please Register or Log in to view images

I have an iPod touch 2G, with 2.2 firmware.
    I would like to downgrade it to 2.1.1 firmware.
    I've found a couple of posts that explain how to do that, but the technique described there involves using an iPod 2.1.1 backup file.
    The problem is, that the first thing I did when i got the iPod, was to upgrade it's firmware to 2.2, so from what I've seen, I do not have such a backup file.

Is there any way for me to downgrade to 2.1.1 or am I stuck with 2.2 ?

Thank you in advance,
    Denis.
  2. dashwood03

dashwood03 New Member

i think you're the first one who wants to downgrade his device from 2.2 to 2.1.1.

i have a question, why you want to downgrade anyway? 2.2 is the latest version.

oh well, try this.

put your ipod to DFU mode. how? click the "[how to]dfu mode" on my signature.

and 2nd, try to find the 2.1.1 firmware. google is your friend.

restore on itunes, "hold shift+restore" to 2.1.1 firmware.

hope it helps.

and uhh, guys at iptf. correct me if my method is wrong. because I don't have a 2G ipod.
  3. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Well if you aren't sure then why would you give someone advice?
  4. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It's most likely correct, unless Apple changed everything about DFU mode.
  5. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Ok, but this is a continual problem with these select few, who I won't name, taking guesses at what the solution is without knowing. I think a better answer might have been to question why the OP wanted to do this and then go from there.
  6. Denisius

Denisius New Member

First of all, thank everybody for their responses (although, I sense some tension there...

)

Regarding my reasons for wanting to downgrade to 2.1.1...
    Lets just say that there's a certain well known procedure that can not be performed on the iPod 2G with 2.2 firmware, and can be performed on the 2.1.1 version (as far as I know). Rumors say that it's going to take a couple of months till it's available for the 2.2 version, and if that's true, I'm a bit too impatient to wait that long to make my iPod much more functional...

Hope I'm being clear enough, without breaking Forum rules...

Thanks again,
    Denis.
  7. Yousef320

Yousef320 New Member

Hello All,
    I also intend to downgrade my ipod touch with fw 2.2 to a previuos fw, preferably to 2.1.1 because I did a lot of time consuming attempts to jailbreak it and all in vain.

My main purpose for buying this 32gb ipod was to install and read ebooks using rubooks app but after doing a lot of reviews of the iphone/ipod forums I got confused of whether this new ipod can be jailbreak or not. my questions here:
    -can my ipod touch fw 2.2 be jailbreaked? if not, can I jailbreak it after downgrade fw to 2.1.1.
    Note: I bought the this ipod with fw 2.1.1 already installed by manufactur.
  8. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

The jailbreaking video you're talking about has been proven not to work with Firmware 2.1.1 because of the loss of certain hardware vulnerabilities which allowed unsigned code to be executed in the first place. 2.1.1 CANNOT be jailbroken right now, and it's already been shown by people who know better that the YouTube video has many flaws in it to show why it doesn't work... and people who DID try it with their 2G Touch have reported that nothing happened when they followed the instructions in the video. Plus if you want to jailbreak to pirate apps, you're SOL at this time with the iPod Touch 2G, no matter what firmware version is on it.

Man, I wish I got a dollar for EVERY time someone hinted or linked to, or even MENTIONED that video.

Yousef320: If you've got an iPod Touch 2G (the one with volume controls on the side), then no. IF it's a Touch 1G (no volume controls, no speaker), use QuickPwn to jailbreak. Program is at http://blog.iphone-dev.org
  9. Denisius

Denisius New Member

Doh!!!

Thank you for your response, Jarlath!

Although, it made me veeeeery sad, I can now go on with my life instead of trying to find a way to jailbreak my iPod...

All the best,
    Denis
  10. AlexD10

AlexD10 New Member

my ipod has never been jailbroken it is a 2g with 2.2 update is there anyway to jailbreak it?